Ladies , is a solo female FF who frequents First Lounges a rare breed indeed?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by farawaymum, May 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. farawaymum

farawaymum Junior Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Sydney
    Thanks to this forum I have managed to gain and maintain platinum for the past few years off the back of an annual trip to the US plus a few other short international adventures, and achieved by a combination of circuitous routes , ASAs before their demise and occasional tickets purchased in Biz including to the USA ex various cheap Asian cities on one world carriers. There is not much domestic travel and my trips are entirely for leisure not business.
    I am nearing the end of a whirlwind trip that has included FLounging in SYD, HKG (x2) JFK (various terminals) and NRT (x2).I had not really noticed that first lounge clients are so overwhelmingly male until this trip due to the pondering time afforded by a couple of long connections, but I presume that is a statistical fact anyway, and the solo female FF is not that common?

• Like Like x 4

2. Himeno

Himeno Established Member

Jun 15, 2011
    Do you assume people are male based solely on their apparent appearance?

• Like Like x 3
  3. robd

robd Established Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Like most of us, I'm guessing farawaymum assumes that some are women and some are men, based on their apparent appearance ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. TonyHancock

TonyHancock Senior Member

Aug 26, 2010
    East Cheam
    There are a few solo female FF's here and on FFA. Emily Howard springs to mind. :p

• Like Like x 5
  5. Princess Fiona

May 22, 2009
    NSW
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    Yes I agree with your observations. This isn't just in the Lounges but also onboard in J/F (J more so than F IME).
    It probably reflects the fact that Elite Frequent Flyers are probably predominated by male road warrior types.
    Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

6. Anna

Anna Established Member

Jan 17, 2005
    I agree with you Farawaymum. Not that many solo females in the F lounges or up the pointy end, compared to the number of solo men or couples/families.

Possibly also - not that many solo leisure travellers of whatever gender in those locations. Perhaps we should start a special thread of our own :)

7. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    I tend to agree with the observation there aren't many solo female travellers in the business lounges worldwide.

That sort of tells me something and I hope it is not taken as sexist.

Men are comfortable travelling alone.

• Like Like x 2
  8. GPH

GPH Established Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Brisbane Bayside
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Mrs GPH is very comfortable travelling alone. I suspect there are fewer "business"travellers who are female Vs Male and that may skew the numbers a bit

• Like Like x 3
  9. harvyk

harvyk Senior Member

Apr 15, 2009
    CBR
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    #9 harvyk, May 9, 2014
    Last edited: May 9, 2014
    Yes I do... Is that the answer you want to hear? (just noticing a theme here)...

I've noticed the solo female traveler is a rarer breed, that said a couple of my friends certainly fit the bill...
    Whilst I can only go on what I have seen first hand, most friends of mine who are female solo travelers tend to be less caring about the getting there as they are about what they will actually do there. Provided the plane has the right number of wings, and at least 1 engine, they are happy and thus don't bother playing the game.
    Most (but certainly not all) male travelers that I know take an interest in the journey as much as the destination.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Denali

Denali Established Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Sydney suburbs
    When I travel for work, hubby is always with me. Hes had a ball travelling the world and sight seeing while Im in the office.

Im stuck travelling with him now because I pool my SCs and points to him so he has status but as I told him last month, when Im in J I dont need him but he threatened to divorce if I put him in Y alone.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Pushka

Pushka Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2011
    ADL MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I travel a great deal on my own and love it.

• Like Like x 3
  12. joyvee

joyvee Member

Jan 13, 2013
    During my two visits to Qatar J lounge I was struck by the comparative inequity of bathroom/shower facilities . It seemed there were two bathrooms for men and one for women. Not sure about internal dimensions for obvious reasons.

Also noted that whilst well designed, it was impossible to transfer across to the disabled lavatory due to the fact that the space necessary for this was taken up by a pretty table with a pile of folded towels on it!

Anyone else noticed any other anomalies in lounges? JoyV

13. Himeno

Himeno Established Member

Jun 15, 2011
    People can be one gender and appear to be another...

14. Isochronous

Isochronous Established Member

Dec 18, 2009
    1A
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I suppose you never know these days!

15. robd

robd Established Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I am aware.

16. harvyk

harvyk Senior Member

Apr 15, 2009
    CBR
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    We know that, what I don't see the point of is why this needs to be brought up every time a mere mention of "that woman over there" or "that man over there" comes into play. If I see a "man" over there, I will assume that they are a man until they correct me otherwise.

• Like Like x 8
  17. MarkD

MarkD Established Member

Jul 25, 2011
    The Ghetto - Ipswich
    Facebook:
    Seriously mate. If someone identifies as male/ female thats what they want to be identified as. WTF is your point

• Like Like x 5
  18. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    It took a while to work out but I get it now.

19. smit0847

smit0847 Established Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Melbourne
    This thread wins the Most Pointless Thread Of The Week award.

• Like Like x 1
  20. robd

robd Established Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I think the observation in the OP is a valid topic.

• Like Like x 4