LA layover time | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

LA layover time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billybob

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, so nice to meet you all :)

I recently booked a Virgin Australia ticket from San Francisco to Brisbane, with a 1hr 45min changeover time in LA.

We also need to get from Terminal 5 to Terminal 3 in that time.

I have called Expedia, and the lady told me that our baggage will be checked straight through to Brisbane from San Francisco, and that I shouldn't worry.

However, I'm getting conflicting opinions on this, and I'm not so sure.
What do you think?

Boris spatsky

Established Member
Leaving the US is different to arriving as you don't have to clear customs. Provided that your inbound flight is on time, and security doesn't take an hour (which it shouldn't), you should be ok.

Andrewt

I did this last week, head to gate 52b after 1830 and there is an airside transfer from terminal 5 to Tom Bradley for VA depatures, so no need to join the security queues. Although VA checkin is in terminal 3 the flight goes from TBIT

ozbeachbabe

AFF Supporter
I did this last week, head to gate 52b after 1830 and there is an airside transfer from terminal 5 to Tom Bradley for VA depatures, so no need to join the security queues. Although VA checkin is in terminal 3 the flight goes from TBIT
Did you fly DL SFO to LAX & if so did you get both boarding passes in SFO?

If you don't get your VA boarding pass in SFO should ypu go to T3 to VA checkin or TBIT & get it there?

Surely someone st TBIT can just print a boarding pass as you're not trying to check bags in.

Warks

AFF Supporter
Funny I know this topic comes up regularly but normally for people coming into the USA via LAX and transiting onwards. I always allow at least 4-5 hours here and although it's a pretty dull airport I'm not game to leave. On my next trip over I'm allowing 4 hours and that's with hand luggage only.

However I am also booking a flight back to LAX from MCO to connect with VA2 which departs at 2115 (915PM) in October. There are flights which arrive at around 7PM but I'm guessing that would still be a bit tight IF the plane is delayed. If I book with Virgin America they have a non-stop flight from MCO which is scheduled to arrive at 2005 (805PM) but I think that's a bit tight. That said, being the 'same' airline, would it be possible to be booked through? As I can't buy this ticket from the Australian site I would think not.

Currently tossing up arriving at about 5PM vs 7PM. Makes for a long day with the flight to SYD to come afterwards!

ozbeachbabe

AFF Supporter
If I book with Virgin America they have a non-stop flight from MCO which is scheduled to arrive at 2005 (805PM) but I think that's a bit tight.

That said, being the 'same' airline, would it be possible to be booked through? As I can't buy this ticket from the Australian site I would think not.

Currently tossing up arriving at about 5PM vs 7PM. Makes for a long day with the flight to SYD to come afterwards!
Airlines in the US are more inclined to thru-check bags to other carriers on separate pnrs eg VX to VA than vice versa.

What airline gets you in at 1700? I'd be inclined to take that flight. Yes it makes the day a bit longer however should you miss your VA2 LAX/SYD flight due to an inbound delay your day will get even longer.

legroom

Established Member
Funny I know this topic comes up regularly but normally for people coming into the USA via LAX and transiting onwards. I always allow at least 4-5 hours here and although it's a pretty dull airport I'm not game to leave. On my next trip over I'm allowing 4 hours and that's with hand luggage only.

However I am also booking a flight back to LAX from MCO to connect with VA2 which departs at 2115 (915PM) in October. There are flights which arrive at around 7PM but I'm guessing that would still be a bit tight IF the plane is delayed. If I book with Virgin America they have a non-stop flight from MCO which is scheduled to arrive at 2005 (805PM) but I think that's a bit tight. That said, being the 'same' airline, would it be possible to be booked through? As I can't buy this ticket from the Australian site I would think not.

I'd pick the 5pm one.

Less stressful thinking about what ifs etc ....

It's not like you could have the next bus back to Oz if you're late.

Others may prefer to keep it tight and more productive time-wise.

My 2c

Warks

AFF Supporter
Thanks for the replies. I looked at the remaining flights to get me there at a decent hour but none were non-stop so it was going to stretch into a very very long day with the flight home on top. So I thought I'd leave the night before from MCO and take the direct VX flight (only $204) and spend a night at the airport and use my last day to go somewhere before the flight that evening. The VX flight leaves at 530PM and gets in around 8PM so I'll stay at the Radisson at the airport to save worrying about shuttle buses.

Now what to do with my day before the flight? Venice Beach I was thinking... never been there. Worth it? It's on every travel show I've ever seen.

ozbeachbabe

AFF Supporter
Thanks for the replies. I looked at the remaining flights to get me there at a decent hour but none were non-stop so it was going to stretch into a very very long day with the flight home on top. So I thought I'd leave the night before from MCO and take the direct VX flight (only $204) and spend a night at the airport and use my last day to go somewhere before the flight that evening. The VX flight leaves at 530PM and gets in around 8PM so I'll stay at the Radisson at the airport to save worrying about shuttle buses.

Now what to do with my day before the flight? Venice Beach I was thinking... never been there. Worth it? It's on every travel show I've ever seen.
Sounds like a good move!

I've stayed at the Sheraton Four Points at LAX on their 24/24 rate which gives you a 24 hour stay from the time you checkin provided you give them at least 48 hours notice & IIRC the rate is at least USD119.00 per night. That way you'd automatically receive 'day use' or have the room up until when you leave for the airport.

I believe a few other LAX Airport Hotels eg Sheraton at LAX also do this. Some of the hotels also have a shuttle to/from Manhattan Beach or similar for USD5.00 to US10.00 pp one way plus tip of course.

Not sure what time VA checkin opens at LAX but I think you checkin at T3(?) but depart from TBIT. You could always check in early then head back to your hotel then return later to TBIT.

Andrewt

Did you fly DL SFO to LAX & if so did you get both boarding passes in SFO?

If you don't get your VA boarding pass in SFO should ypu go to T3 to VA checkin or TBIT & get it there?

Surely someone st TBIT can just print a boarding pass as you're not trying to check bags in.

I was on DL from Atlanta

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pam43