Krisflyer redemptions coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

oz_mark

Enthusiast
From 26 May, 2008 will be able to redeem 2 altitude points for 1 KrisFlyer point (min 3000, increments of 500)

Woo hoo! Krisflyer seem to be really trying to grab some of the QF FF market share for CC transfers, first reducing Amex to 1:1 and now entering Altitude at same transfer rate for QF.

The "problem" with FF schemes is that any competitor can copy them. They no longer, if ever provide any real strategic advantage.

As for "loyalty" many people are members of 2,3 or more schemes anyway.

For business reasons a couple of years ago my employer asked me to research the empirical research on loyalty programs. The research shows that the schemes don't make the return that was first expected.

So I guess SIA only has to be similar, will depend on their award booking rate, fees, taxes etc.

Hint to SIA and Westpac: A nice "launch" bonus would be good.

Unfortunately that is only matching the transfer rate to QFF .....rather than say the Citibank Rate which is double.

It is good that thee is another option...but at this stage I would probably still put my spend through Citibank rather than Westpac.

Singapore has better burn rates....but I don't think that generally they are more than twice as good (though there are some attractive reemptions to some zones)

Singapore has better burn rates....but I don't think that generally they are more than twice as good (though there are some attractive reemptions to some zones)

Aaah, the availablity aspect is a big difference, have found much easier to get what I want on SQ than on QF, but that may change as point earning options improve. Some awards are actually as twice as good as QF (eg in business class to Europe is 150K on SQ, but if booked online with 15% discount is 127.5k, half of QF's 256K).

Citibank is only double for Visa cards. For Altititude Amex $1= 2 Altitude pts = 1 QF FF pt (=1 KF point if this eventuates).

Citibank is only double for Visa cards. For Altititude Amex $1= 2 Altitude pts = 1 QF FF pt (=1 KF point if this eventuates).

Thanks for the info on availability. Useful to know.

On Amex..I use a Maximiser. So that is 50% more earn than the Westpac Amex.

I have free Altitude VISA and AMEX's with Westpac.

So I will still use the Maximiser as it is 50 % better.

The part for me to toss up is whether to go Altitude on my VISA..or stick with Citibank.

As I mentioned..and you have shown there are instances of when the SQ Burn can be good even allowing for half the earn (Melb to Tahiti is for example much better).

One thing that may sway me is that I have almost 200K points on my Maximiser..and 80K of Altitude points stickpiled from before I switched to Citibank...so I almost have enough for two Business seats to Europe (255K) which would be a great reward.

My 80K of existing points with Altitude will certainly now go to SQ, rather than QF....and that ability I am delghted about.

Last edited:
Is it possible to transfer Citibank to Krisflyer?

Any details appreciated.
Short answer is no. I asked Krisflyer and Citibank the same thing last week. No impression that they are going to ad KF to the redemption options at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back