Itinerary for Japan - feedback please | Page 4 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Itinerary for Japan - feedback please

bpeteb

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Does anyone know how to get Sumo tickets?

I set a reminder last week to book them once the ticket sales opened, and then I missed looking because I was so busy.

I've gone to look online 7 days later and it looks like every tournament online is sold out in January 2020.

I've read reviews and it seems people have bought tickets only a day or so out from tournaments.

Any ideas on how to do this without getting ripped off?
Ours were bought on the day of release. I really think you’re out of luck but maybe others have some other ideas.

goldenhorn

exceladdict

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Gold
Flights
My Map
I've decided to stay 1 night in Hakone on the way back to Tokyo, so have booked this onsen with breakfast and Kaiseki dinner experience:
Will be keen to hear your review. We'll aim to hit that up on our next trip.

goldenhorn

Yes, well worth it. Maybe not quite enough if you visit:

Check tide times because at low tide you can walk out to the shrine.

If you have a JR Pass then consider staying in Kyoto and visiting Osaka. They're quite close if you catch the Shinkansen.

If you like trains then this is a must:
They have trains from steam to the Shinkansen. The turntable is huge.

I also loved the Go;den Temple in Kyoto:

Happy travelling.
Thank you! I would love to see Miyajima. Is it still worth going to see the town if the gate is covered in scaffolding? I gather that's the big attraction everyone wants to see.

exceladdict

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Gold
Flights
My Map
Thank you! I would love to see Miyajima. Is it still worth going to see the town if the gate is covered in scaffolding? I gather that's the big attraction everyone wants to see.
For me, the highlights were the deer, cable car and walking around. Plenty to do other than the gates iirc.

goldenhorn

Just had 3 weeks in Jpn for rugby world cup, so our itin was dictated by weekend games/venues, then finding our way elsewhere thru the weekdays.

I lived/worked in Tokyo in the 80's, and the difference then and now was staggering. So so much more complicated and busy for any form of public transport, Tokyo in particular. Places I remembered (used to catch Ginza line subway from Shibuya every day) were unrecognizable, so make sure you know your route/subway line/exit gate etc, and save yr directions to phone when moving around Tokyo.

Kyoto, however was a revelation - beautiful temples incl Inari, Philosopher's walk, Nishiki food market is a Must, streets around Kawaramachi, make yr restaurant booking in the morning for places like Itoh Dining, but probly stay near the station because that makes subway and shinkansen easier. Daiichi Royal Grande was quite new, smart, adjacent to station and well priced.

One week, in-between games, we went to the Art Islands - adjacent to Okayama - easy short ferry trips between 3-4 islands all with fantastically modern art galleries - look up Naoshima and Teshima Isls, or go here :
benesse-artsite.jp

Wish we stayed onite at Kanazawa after doing the Alpine Route (not encouraged in Jan I wud think..) and wish it wasnt a public holiday our last night in town when Tonki's Meguro had a queue out the door.. An old fave tonkatsu place

Last night in Tokyo at the Station Hotel - if you want to completely relax and waft out of town then this is the place to stay.. Bellhop will walk you down to the Narita Express platform.
Thanks for the recommendation of Daiwa Royal Hotel Grande Kyoto. It looks really good with great reviews.

So I cancelled my booking at Hotel Universal Port in Osaka and will move hotels to stay 5 nights instead of 3 in Kyoto. It sounds like Kyoto is much more beautiful and there's more to do. Then we can still easily get the train to USJ on the day we want to visit.

AFF on Air Podcast

• Indian Pacific & Other Epic Train Journeys – AIR027
    Sat, 11 Jan 2020 02:31:00 AEDT
      In this episode, we take a brief detour from the aviation discussion to talk about train travel! There's something nice - perhaps even romantic - about long-distance train ...
  • Status Runs – AIR026
    Sat, 14 Dec 2019 07:15:21 AEDT
      If you're a little bit short of the next airline status tier, a status run can get you over the line. In this episode, learn about the best status runs with Virgin Austral ...
  • British Airways Executive Club – AIR025
    Sat, 30 Nov 2019 22:53:26 AEDT
      Many Australians join Qantas Frequent Flyer by default. But even if you fly with Qantas regularly, you could benefit by using the British Airways Executive Club frequent f ...
  • Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...
  • HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MmmmHmmm