Is it worth more to redeem (transfer) Amex Point for Flights (Krisflyer) or Hotel (Marriott)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

astroboyong

Hi guys,
I have accumulated Amex Points, I usually used it for SQ Business Class redemption. I’ve never looked into hotel room redemption before. Just wondering is it worth considering transferring to Marriot Bonvoy? or Flight is definitely more valuable per point? Thank you

Would you be using the Marriott points to book hotel nights, or to transfer onwards to another airline?

to book hotel nights.
I've never booked hotel through marriot points before. I'm trying to figure out if its worth to transfer amex points to marriot. or flight is still better value and pay $ for hotel stay

As a general rule, I'd say SQ points are more valuable but of course COVID has changed the equation.

It really depends on the hotel you plan on staying at. Like airline points, the best bang for buck are the hotel rooms that are ordinarily $400+ night similar to airline points where its the more expensive airfare classes (e.g. business/first) which you give the best $ yield.

What could also sway the equation is whether you plan on redeeming for a hotel for 4 or more nights because when you book 5 consecutive reward nights, you only get charged for 4.

Of course in the immediate future, SQ points aren't really valuable as you can't fly anywhere whereas at least you could redeem reward nights at Marriott properties in Australia, but in my opinion, the Marriott properties in Oz aren't that impressive compared with certain Marriott properties in Asia/Europe/US

I would also agree that SQ points are more valuable. Unless you have a reason to transfer points from the AMEX program I would just leave them them there.

agreed. after doing more research, I believe amex point is better used for flights redemption

now i need to research whether is is worth to buy marriot points with current promotion

Thank you guys

I would say SQ would be more value most times.
For comparison the Ritz Carlton Perth 5 nights would cost 210000 points worth ~ $2600 so compare that to your normal SQ awards.
But a suite at the Aloft Perth costs 208500 points.

I think robbo135 explains it well - I have transferred points from AMEX for Marriott stays and SQ, but the general rule appears to be to do the 'points value' calculation relative to a specific redemption. For instance, I transferred (and also purchased Marriott points) for a 2 room / 7 night stay at a Marriott resort in coughet 2 years ago, b/c it was XMAS week, and the cost of the room was so high, I was getting really good value out of using points for the stay. The AMEX-Marriott transfer of course used to be a lot better before a number of devaluations (I had a wonderful stay in NYC using Marriott points, but not sure it would be good use of points now!).
Post automatically merged:

agreed. after doing more research, I believe amex point is better used for flights redemption

now i need to research whether is is worth to buy marriot points with current promotion

Thank you guys
PS you might also want to look at the history of Marriott points promotions, as I seem to recall the current promotion might not be as generous as some recent ones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back