Is it illegal to lie on an a credit application?

Status
Not open for further replies.
sure is, it is credit fraud. (especially if you are using a fake name!!!!!)

Depends mainly on what information you falsely supply to a credit provider.

If that information results in you accessing credit that you would not otherwise obtain, then you can get into all sorts of problems.

Most credit contracts contain a clause that covers the discovery of incorrect information supplied by the applicant after credit has been given. You are essentially at that point in "Default" of your contract.

For credit cards that could mean:

1. Closure of the account and a demand for the full amount outstanding,

and

2. Cancellation of any reward points earned on the credit card.

and

3. Reporting to a credit bureau the default.

In saying that many a white lie is told on credit application, so the onus rests with the credit provider to best assess the risk.

Cheers

If everyone in Australia told the truth when applying for credit then i suspect that only about 1 percent of the population would own a television or have a credit card or a home loan. So long as you don't default with your credit provider then there is no problem with any amount of lies you tell.

If by lying on the application you gain a financial advantage, you may be liable to be prosecuted.

Exactly what this prosecution might involve is related to the amount of financial advantage that you gain.

Don't you ever read the fine print which is usually on the back page above where you sign. It tells you that you can prosecuted for fraudulent information - Der!!!!!! That means don't lie on the application!!!!!

So basically if you are paying the bills and not raising any flags you are fine?

I guess the fraud factor is understandable in some circumstances.....

Not saying I've ever lied or intend to on an application, the thought just crossed my mind... :)

Disclaimer - I am reporting this from a memory not known for its reliability

The wife of Carl Williams, the (alleged) hitman for Melbourne (alleged) underworld figures, has recently been imprisoned for credit card fraud. Do a Google search for the details, but I think it involved applying under a false name, then running up huge bills.

Is that the kind of thing you were considering d00t? :D

Not sure the whole point of this discussion is about. Just use common sense.

There will be some degree of lattitude on some questions and absolutely none on others.

EG. Value of your Car or other Assets. This is a subjective valuation.
Amount in Bank Account - You can work this out quite accurately.
Last Name - I'd tell the truth on this one. :)

Regards
Daniel

when i applied for my card years back.
when i fillled in the question "average monthly spend" on your other cards...
i wrote $2000
and the lady at the bank tells me to change it to $1000..
telling me.. if i write a lower figure.. it will improve my chances.
is that lying?

do it, get caught, then prosecuted, found guilty and have a fraud conviction recorded against you.

see how far you get in the business world with a fraud conviction. all for a 15 grand on a credit card ...

Don't forget lying by omission - for instance a few years ago most forms had space for 2-3 credit accounts and no space for total credit so someone with say 4 CC's already could fill in the whole form include the 2-3 cards with the lowest limits - technically it wasn't a lie since nowhere on the form stated that you had to provide a total for all cards;

Lie by omission - Yes
Fraudulent behaviour that is prosicutable - Probably not.

Of course from what I have noticed recently it looks like the banks (no doubt due to federal legislation) have changed to asking you for the total now.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back