Is Diners Club still in the race?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nutcase

Has anyone received any offers from Diners Club recently? The seem awfully quiet these days and not looking to increase their member base although I have noticed the Business Card with a 3 point per $1 spend for three months still around.

I haven't heard from them in ages, and neither have I used their card recently. They seem to have pretty much given up.

About 18 months ago (from memory) Crikey in their "Tips and Rumours" column had the suggestion that Diners would be out of Australia by the end of 2006.

Obviously it wasnt true but maybe there was a little substance in it as they have been very quiet of late. At the time I took particular interest due to the Defence Travel Card being a Diners Club card. Of course, with all that business perhaps they dont need to look for any more.

It is still my primary card.I am trying to maximise AA points.

Its disappointing that they haven't extended the Mastercard deal to the rest of the globe. It would make it a better proposition.

I also noticed that Diners points can be redeemed for Velocity points.

You wonder why they bother when there is no card acquisition programs with Amex are so entrenched with Qantas.

drron said:
It is still my primary card.I am trying to maximise AA points.
It's mine too. No credit limit (not that I need that!), no annual fee, as many supplemntary cards as I want, 1.5 DC pts / $ spent with numerous partners (QF transfer is 1:1; SQ is 1:2, SPG is 1:2 etc). I have been transferring most of my points to SPG recently and have booked some very nice accommodation with Starwood:p. The only drawback is that it is not as widely accepted as Visa / MC and to a lesser extent AMEX, so I just use my Citibank Visa then. Petrol / groceries / professional memberships / indemnity insurance all accept it and that seems to be most of my larger spending amounts.

So DC still rocks for me....

Oh, access to airport lounges like the first class lounge at Dubai:mrgreen::D
FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SQ490 - Nonstop or not???

Not bad for a free card...

Last edited:
rwatts said:
About 18 months ago (from memory) Crikey in their "Tips and Rumours" column had the suggestion that Diners would be out of Australia by the end of 2006.
Our US-based corporate Diners Club cards have been merged with Mastercard. So the card now carries both logos and is supposed to be accepted as a Mastercard by merchants who accept Mastercard.

I hope they follow this lead in Australia as my US colleagues have found the joint-branded card is much more widely accepted than their old Diners Club cards. But our Aussie based cards are still on Diners.

So I would expect they are more likely to issue the joint card rather than retire from the Aussie market altogether.

To get back OT they had offered bonus points on a choice of taxi or hotel (late last year)??? I think that was the one.

I forget which one I chose, but this thread reminds me that I haven't actually seen these bonus points yet?? Anyone else.

I use DC as my main card fo the same reasons others have stated here. I find it is accepted at almost anywhere I am. Hotels, Taxis, Airlines, Coles and shell servos (and yes I use my flybuys too!!!):D

I used to have a Corporate Diners at my previous employer. When I left there I applied for both an Amex card and Diners - I was truned down by diners despite having been a member for 6 years.

Had I known about the AA option I would have kept my old diners card (it was a personal liability Diners card rather than a true corporate card).

simongr said:
I used to have a Corporate Diners at my previous employer. When I left there I applied for both an Amex card and Diners - I was truned down by diners despite having been a member for 6 years.

Had I known about the AA option I would have kept my old diners card (it was a personal liability Diners card rather than a true corporate card).

Most corproate Amex cards have joint liability, and I have known collegues that have had the debt collectors after them!

Diners Club is my MAIN card.

I signed up for their generally available offer of 3:1 points:dollars (capped at $10,000, first three months), so that's 30,000 points, which convert directly to Qantas points 1:1 thank you very much - with no annual fee or rewards program fee on the first year of the card.

After three months are up, I'll switch back to my 1.5points:1$ card (through a medical organisation, so not gererally available) which gives me 1.5 FF point per dollar spent, so very good!

Okay, so Diners' isn't available everywhere as it costs merchants around 5%, but it's still sufficiently usable to make it easily worth my while. When my wife and I don't use Diners Club, we use the fee-free for life Citibank Gold card - although I am more recent user of that - but no problems yet.

Don't give up on Diners - they're still in the race!

And I have just received an offer of 3 points per dollar at any restaurant accepting DC any wednesday.Looks like wednesday is our new night out.

You will note with the link to the business card diners 3:1 offer that the terms stipulate that that the offer is over as of 30 January 2008. I called up and was informed that they were extending it. I am sure that was just a line to get my business - but it worked. I applied, they stuffed around a lot, but bottom line is that they have extended the offer for me and I receive 3:1 during Feb, March and April.

My advice, if you apply for that offer, is keep a printout of everything - and call up just to confirm that they will still extend the offer.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Staff online

Back