ipod | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

ipod

Status
Not open for further replies.

parsonstrish

Active Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2005
Messages
668
Being the non-technological person that I am, can anyone suggest a particular brand ipod. I'm thinking this may be a good thing to have on my flt. o/s, thanks :confused:
 

brisbull

Intern
Joined
Jun 27, 2005
Messages
52
parsonstrish said:
Being the non-technological person that I am, can anyone suggest a particular brand ipod. I'm thinking this may be a good thing to have on my flt. o/s, thanks :confused:
All iPods are made by the company "Apple". An iPod is an MP3 (digital music) player, and there are many other MP3 players on the market. iPods are generally considered one of the best, and are as much a fashion symbol as a music player.
 

Shano

Established Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2006
Messages
1,229
Flights
My Map
The downside to the iPod is that it uses a different file format (M4P) to other MP3 players.

Therefore you are a little more restricted in terms of sites to download music from, although the iTunes STORE website is pretty comprehensive.

The iTunes software that comes with an iPod will let you rip your existing CD collection to the appropriate format to download to the iPod. It will also allow you to convert any existing MP3 or WMA audio files to the correct file format.

That being said I have an iPod and happy with it and the selection of music available online.
 

d15.in.oz

Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2006
Messages
452
parsonstrish said:
Being the non-technological person that I am, can anyone suggest a particular brand ipod. I'm thinking this may be a good thing to have on my flt. o/s, thanks :confused:
If it's time to consider upgrading your mobile phone, then get one with an MP3 player built in. Signing up to a phone plan means you will probably get the new phone/MP3/camera for free, and as it's all in one, it takes up less space, and there are less things to remember to pack.

Most MP3 playing phones, come with a CD of software - for converting your current music CDs to MP3 tracks.
 

Zulaiha

Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2006
Messages
187
Ipod is good except for their batteries problems:mad:

Ipod is not just for music the latest one is more like for Multimedia system, from music to movies.
 

Travel Guru

AFF Supporter
Joined
Apr 19, 2006
Messages
2,002
Itunes software aside I love my IPOD and would rather leave my wallet at home than my ipod when I travel.

Ive also got a belkin battery pack for those long flights when the battery runs flat, which has been my saving grace on the 22hr flt LHR-SYD recently.

Go the 30gb, its amazing how you fill up the space overtime.

TG
 

brisbull

Intern
Joined
Jun 27, 2005
Messages
52
Shano said:
The downside to the iPod is that it uses a different file format (M4P) to other MP3 players.
Not sure that's entirely true, Shano. I had a sizeable MP3 collection before I got my iPod, and iTunes was happy to load them onto my iPod without conversion. The iPod has an MP3 decoder for that exact purpose. More proof of this is that you can copy MP3 files off any iPod (out of a hidden sytem file on the iPod, with the file names and directory structure scrambled), and put them onto generic MP3 players.

I take your point, however, that iTunes' downloads are generally in a copyright-protected format, and this can cause... issues.... with transfering to other players.
 

Travel Guru

AFF Supporter
Joined
Apr 19, 2006
Messages
2,002
[More proof of this is that you can copy MP3 files off any iPod (out of a hidden sytem file on the iPod, with the file names and directory structure scrambled), and put them onto generic MP3 players.]


how do you do this brisbull, ive been trying to work out for ages how to transfer the files from my ipod only my new laptop since my old one containing itunes and music ceased to operate??

TG
 

Shano

Established Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2006
Messages
1,229
Flights
My Map
brisbull said:
Not sure that's entirely true, Shano. I had a sizeable MP3 collection before I got my iPod, and iTunes was happy to load them onto my iPod without conversion. The iPod has an MP3 decoder for that exact purpose. More proof of this is that you can copy MP3 files off any iPod (out of a hidden sytem file on the iPod, with the file names and directory structure scrambled), and put them onto generic MP3 players.

I take your point, however, that iTunes' downloads are generally in a copyright-protected format, and this can cause... issues.... with transfering to other players.
Ahhh - I was getting confused with the iTunes native format.
 

tscharke

Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2006
Messages
303
unless it's a prerequisite to be in the 'cool & fashionable' club dont limit your selection to just the ipoo!

Your options are basically unlimited....do you want a basic and cheap mp3 player just to listen to music? or perhaps you also want to watch movies on this device? or perhaps you also want to download & view your digital pictures from your camera as well? All such devices are available and getting cheaper by the month...I recommend first that you decide what functions you want and go from there :cool:
 

brisbull

Intern
Joined
Jun 27, 2005
Messages
52
Travel Guru said:
how do you do this brisbull, ive been trying to work out for ages how to transfer the files from my ipod only my new laptop since my old one containing itunes and music ceased to operate??

TG
Damn, i just wrote a nice long explaination, and the posting crashed, gone...

heres a short version.

view you iPod as a hard drive, allow viewing of hidden folders and system files (within the "tools->folder options->view" toolbar of file explorer), go into the hidden folder and copy everything (lots of folders with odd names) back to your PC. When you add these folders back into iTunes, it will reorganise them for you (provided you have the option to "let iTunes organise your folders" enabled)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
80,859
Messages
1,860,750
Members
48,716
Latest member
yuyushll
Top