Involuntary flight changes - report your wins or losses

Seat0B

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Posts
5,158
Qantas
Platinum
Oneworld
Emerald
About a week ago, Qantas emailed me that they were changing my paid J flights for upcoming trip to DXB. I was originally booked:
QF 1555 CBR-MEL 1330-1435 (A220)
QF 37 MEL-SIN 1655-2205
QF 8353 (codeshare on EK) SIN-DXB 0030-0410

I did it this way to maximise time on QF metal to get as many DSC as I could out of this trip. Breaking the journey with a transit in SIN was not ideal, but you do what you have to, right?

So the new flights QF had booked for me were:
QF 1555 CBR-MEL 1330-1435
QF 35 MEL-SIN 1205 1705
QF 8353 SIN-DXB 0030-0410

They said my connection was affected (yes, it's pretty hard to depart from MEL before you arrive) and they would contact me soon with new flight options. I decided to look at my options while I waited for contact and found that there was only one flight that got us to MEL that Sunday in time for the new QF 35 MEL-SIN. That left CBR at 0850 and was a dash-8. That really didn't thrill me for several reasons including I don't like early morning starts - that's why I booked at 1330 flight in the first place, it did not allow for much lounge time (which is always a highlight for me) and I would prefer the comfy business class experience I paid for CBR-MEL rather than the noisy, cramped Dash-8. Plus, we now had 6 hr layover in SIN in the middle of the night instead of a streamlined 2 hr aircraft/airline change with a bit of lounge time thrown in. Arghhh.

Today, QF emailed me about the flights. Instead of giving me re-booking options as the first email said they would, it just said, hurry up, we told you there are important flight changes and you need to go to MMB and either accept changes or request a refund, ASAP. Talk about outsourcing their work. Went to MMB and the changes button was greyed out. The only available option was request refund - which I definitely did not want to do. So I knew I now had no choice but to make a phone call to sort it out.

I had a spare hour or two this afternoon, so I placed the dreaded call, waited about 15 mins to be connected to a Premium consultant and was overjoyed to get Hobart, where I was assisted by the lovely Daniel. He immediately grasped the issues of missed connection in MEL and long layover in SIN and said, would you accept a QF code share on EK out of either SYD or MEL instead, if they are available on the date, as this will give more options for getting to DXB. I said yes, but explained that I had booked this way to maximise QF metal for DSCs and he said, "oh involuntary change, just write in for ORC" (which I knew, but lovely to see it proactively addressed.)

So, the final upshot is a big win for us. We will fly to MEL on QF1559 (A220) in business, arrive at 1850, connect to QF8407 at 2230 and fly direct to DXB, arriving at 0540 after a 14 hour flight. This means no early start, good lounge time, no midnight stop in SIN and a flight duration long enough to eat, watch movies and sleep, before arriving at the much more civilised time of 0540 comparted to original 0410 arrival. There were no change fees (which of course there shouldn't have been, but I did not have to argue the toss.) And I will still get all my DSC, although I will have to request it. All up, it took about 1hr 15 on the phone to arrange all this. New ticket has landed in my inbox and I have even selected seats on teh Emirates web site, which also had the changes.

I am feeling like I had a win over Qantas on this involuntary flight change, which has not always been the case for me as I often feel like I get the pointy end of the pineapple when QF inevitably mucks around with my flights. Had I wanted to, I could also have cancelled for a full refund, with no cancellation fees which the fare class was eligible to charge - Business Saver and Business Sale.

I though I would start a thread on this as there was no real place I could find to put this tale into the forum, and I know that other people also have stories to tell about wins and losses on involuntary flight changes. I look forward to hearing how you go when it happens to you!
 
SQ KUL-SIN-SYD - single ticket

AT KUL, was told boarding passes for SYD were to be issued at SIN
The 🐂💩 antenna started overheating.....

At SIN went to transfer desk.
Told flight overbooked
I said I had to be back at work the next morning

Immediate offer of cash and vouchers - and there were 5 of us travelling
Total Haul SGD $2500 cash plus $250 vouchers.
Next flight in 4hours.
Now this was around 20 years ago. The value of the $$$ was a lot better then.
Lowly Y pax with no FF status as well.

Those transfer desks at SIN must hold significant cash.
The bloke just opened a drawer.
Of course I just shut up after the bloke got out the cash and started counting.....

Maybe not so much these days.

....

Minor one:
QF: Classic award. 3x SYD-AKL-LAX back in the day when this was operating
That route gets cancelled
Rang QF - offered 3x J SYD-LAX direct on the one that arrived early morning- lowly Bronze that time.


....

QF 94 LAX-MEL classic award plus DOM MEL-SYD. Could not get the LAX-SYF on classic award
Aircraft decides to got to SYD due to fog in MEL
Before landing, I mentioned to CSM that SYD was the final destination
Aircraft parked at remote gate for refueling
Captain thought my idea of getting off at SYD was a good idea.

So the 4 of us plus 5 others disembarked via airstairs
No checked baggage to pickup as baggage will do the SYD-MEL-SYD

Baggage arrived at the house later that afternoon by courier
ORC, ~ , and refund on the unused MEL-SYD as well was quickly processed.
 
Last edited:
About a week ago, Qantas emailed me that they were changing my paid J flights for upcoming trip to DXB. I was originally booked:
QF 1555 CBR-MEL 1330-1435 (A220)
QF 37 MEL-SIN 1655-2205
QF 8353 (codeshare on EK) SIN-DXB 0030-0410

I did it this way to maximise time on QF metal to get as many DSC as I could out of this trip. Breaking the journey with a transit in SIN was not ideal, but you do what you have to, right?

So the new flights QF had booked for me were:
QF 1555 CBR-MEL 1330-1435
QF 35 MEL-SIN 1205 1705
QF 8353 SIN-DXB 0030-0410

They said my connection was affected (yes, it's pretty hard to depart from MEL before you arrive) and they would contact me soon with new flight options. I decided to look at my options while I waited for contact and found that there was only one flight that got us to MEL that Sunday in time for the new QF 35 MEL-SIN. That left CBR at 0850 and was a dash-8. That really didn't thrill me for several reasons including I don't like early morning starts - that's why I booked at 1330 flight in the first place, it did not allow for much lounge time (which is always a highlight for me) and I would prefer the comfy business class experience I paid for CBR-MEL rather than the noisy, cramped Dash-8. Plus, we now had 6 hr layover in SIN in the middle of the night instead of a streamlined 2 hr aircraft/airline change with a bit of lounge time thrown in. Arghhh.

Today, QF emailed me about the flights. Instead of giving me re-booking options as the first email said they would, it just said, hurry up, we told you there are important flight changes and you need to go to MMB and either accept changes or request a refund, ASAP. Talk about outsourcing their work. Went to MMB and the changes button was greyed out. The only available option was request refund - which I definitely did not want to do. So I knew I now had no choice but to make a phone call to sort it out.

I had a spare hour or two this afternoon, so I placed the dreaded call, waited about 15 mins to be connected to a Premium consultant and was overjoyed to get Hobart, where I was assisted by the lovely Daniel. He immediately grasped the issues of missed connection in MEL and long layover in SIN and said, would you accept a QF code share on EK out of either SYD or MEL instead, if they are available on the date, as this will give more options for getting to DXB. I said yes, but explained that I had booked this way to maximise QF metal for DSCs and he said, "oh involuntary change, just write in for ORC" (which I knew, but lovely to see it proactively addressed.)

So, the final upshot is a big win for us. We will fly to MEL on QF1559 (A220) in business, arrive at 1850, connect to QF8407 at 2230 and fly direct to DXB, arriving at 0540 after a 14 hour flight. This means no early start, good lounge time, no midnight stop in SIN and a flight duration long enough to eat, watch movies and sleep, before arriving at the much more civilised time of 0540 comparted to original 0410 arrival. There were no change fees (which of course there shouldn't have been, but I did not have to argue the toss.) And I will still get all my DSC, although I will have to request it. All up, it took about 1hr 15 on the phone to arrange all this. New ticket has landed in my inbox and I have even selected seats on teh Emirates web site, which also had the changes.

I am feeling like I had a win over Qantas on this involuntary flight change, which has not always been the case for me as I often feel like I get the pointy end of the pineapple when QF inevitably mucks around with my flights. Had I wanted to, I could also have cancelled for a full refund, with no cancellation fees which the fare class was eligible to charge - Business Saver and Business Sale.

I though I would start a thread on this as there was no real place I could find to put this tale into the forum, and I know that other people also have stories to tell about wins and losses on involuntary flight changes. I look forward to hearing how you go when it happens to you!
Good outcome - which the system should obviously have offered proactively, rather than you having to take a chance on getting a capable agent and still taking over an hour of your time to resolve. .
 
Elevate your business spending to first-class rewards! Sign up today with code AFF10 and process over $10,000 in business expenses within your first 30 days to unlock 10,000 Bonus PayRewards Points.
Join 30,000+ savvy business owners who:

✅ Pay suppliers who don’t accept Amex
✅ Max out credit card rewards—even on government payments
✅ Earn & transfer PayRewards Points to 10+ airline & hotel partners

Start earning today!
- Pay suppliers who don’t take Amex
- Max out credit card rewards—even on government payments
- Earn & Transfer PayRewards Points to 8+ top airline & hotel partners

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

This year because of ME crisis BNE DOH CDG cancelled on Aeroplan award as Qatar (operating on behalf of VA) stopped flying to Brisbane, This was in J. Rang expecting the worse "bad luck here are your points"back" - but I got Maam I will put you on our plane BNE - YVR-YUL-CDG. Is that ok? If I could have reached out and hugged him I would have - holiday back on. Ironically because of a long layover on original flights landed in Paris 2 hours before I was meant to. Taught me a valuable lesson too - for flights on Aeroplan make sure destination is somewhere they fly to in Europe or US and they will look after you if other airlines fall over.
 
Had HBA-SYD-ZQN booked as classic reward on JQ, a 10min schedule change let us change the whole party of 8 to an all QF itinerary!
 

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back
Top