International Dollar Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you soooo much for the heads up on this...!!!!

Actually I am moving to the US next year it seems... I wonder if this would go towards making it easier to start an account with the US AMEX over there as I will be stuffed credit wise until I get a credit rating happening etc. Hmmm!

Jenelle said:
Thank you soooo much for the heads up on this...!!!!

Actually I am moving to the US next year it seems... I wonder if this would go towards making it easier to start an account with the US AMEX over there as I will be stuffed credit wise until I get a credit rating happening etc. Hmmm!
I very much doubt it. It is still a product from Amex Australia and Amex in the USA will not recognise any credit history from Amex in other countries.

If you're looking to move countries, Amex will help transfer your credit rating to a new country, through their "Global Card Transfer" program.

NB, you can usually keep your current AU card and/or transfer to a new one in the new country.

See this thread on Flyertalk, and this page from americanexpress.com.

futaris said:
If you're looking to move countries, Amex will help transfer your credit rating to a new country, through their "Global Card Transfer" program.

NB, you can usually keep your current AU card and/or transfer to a new one in the new country.

See this thread on Flyertalk, and this page from americanexpress.com.
How long has this been available? I know several people who were refused such capability by both Amex and Diners when moving to the USA from Australia and UK. It was a real pain for them to establish a US-based credit rating in order to gain credit, and they all has to start with debit cards and then move to very low limit credit cards after about a year and work up from there.

After a lot of complaining, one colleague who moved from the UK to the USA was eventually issued a Corporate Amex card, but it had a $500 spending limit imposed!

Personally, no idea. I just saw it mentioned on Flyertalk, so I thought I'd pass the information on.

futaris said:
Personally, no idea. I just saw it mentioned on Flyertalk, so I thought I'd pass the information on.
and thanks greatly for passing it on. Might save some people the grief my colleagues went through.

NM said:
and thanks greatly for passing it on. Might save some people the grief my colleagues went through.

I second that! Had a very similar impression as NM did about the transferability of Amex cards, and how much pain and suffering would occur when moving countries.

Thanks for the link. Will come in handy to file away :)

Wow thank you SO much for all this valuable info... it is much appreciated.

When I got there I was going to get a secured credit card through bank of america to get some credit happening (basically I put $500 of my own on the card and use it like credit, paying it off etc and it helps build up a rating)

The only other way is via store cards etc which is a pain.

Thanks so much!!

Was on the Amex site looking for something else, and came across this snippet:

I'm moving overseas, can I transfer my American Express Card overseas?

Yes, if you hold an American Express Charge Card (Personal, Gold, Platinum or Centurion) you can transfer your card to another country or transfer an overseas card to an Australian card. Credit Cards are not eligible for International transfers. To organise an International transfer please contact customer services.

Not sure whether this is more specific advice than the website above quotes, or just Amex not updating things promptly.

I'd be interested in knowing anyone's experiences with trying to transfer Amex cards overseas.

Mal said:
I'd be interested in knowing anyone's experiences with trying to transfer Amex cards overseas.
FWIW, I had no problems swapping my Finnish AMEX (green charge card) with an Australian one back in 2004. Even got the Rewards points transferred multiplied by the AUD/EUR exchange rate!

Reviving a very old thread here, but does anyone know if this International Dollar card is still available in Australia?

The AMEX webpage still exists but all the links for more info, application etc are broken (and have been for some time).

I've tried calling up AMEX about this but noone there seems to know what I am talking about, or just transfer me to the US thinking I'm wanting a US-issued card.

Thanks, I had seen that site a while back but assumed it wasn't relevant as it is a UK-based site and has specific links to Australia/Asia (the pages I referred to above that are out of date and don't work properly).

However, having just dug a bit deeper in the UK site than I did last time, it looks like it might be worth a try anyway. In their FAQ they say:

Who can apply for the US dollar or euro card?

We welcome all UK and International applications for the Euro and Dollar Card. Your application will be assessed based on the information you provide in your application.
Assuming it did work, I've still got to work out if it's actually worth it for me. I have a fair bit of ongoing USD and EUR spend and currently have USD and EUR Visa cards with no rewards attached.

I decided a while back that was a better bet than using AUD cards and getting points but getting whacked for sometimes around 5% forex costs.

From this UK AMEX site it looks like the rewards are 1 point per USD or EUR spent - which given the current exchange rate to AUD is not particularly attractive. (1 EUR = 2 AUD, and would get 1 point on the EUR card but up to 6 points on AUD card e.g. with current Earth promo). There's also the additional USD/EUR annual card fees to take into account.

Too hard, too many cards already :shock:

Are Aussies just particularly lucky with our card offers, or does anyone know of an international card offer that is close to or better than the equivalent of 1.5 points per AUD spent? ... Ideally one that an Aussie could, in theory, apply for.. I don't mind jumping through considerable hoops but don't fancy changing my citizenship or residence for the sake of a credit card ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back