I thought Velocity awards included taxes?

Discussion in 'Virgin Australia Velocity' started by bambbbam2, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. bambbbam2

bambbbam2 Active Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Perth, WA
    As Above. Have noticed that you still have to pay taxes & fuel levies - example I was given was redeeming a flight on Virgin Atlantic, not sure if DJ is the same.

:shock:

2. N860CR

N860CR Established Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Brisbane & Sydney
    Yep, just like Qantas and virtually every other frequent flyer program. I don't know of any that don't make you pay the taxes.

3. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    For some strange reason, I was also of that impression... until about 2 weeks ago when I had to check something at the site.

$78 taxes/charges BNE-SYD return, versus $94.69 on Qantas for the same trip.

So the charges are less. But you are still paying a co-payment.

4. aspro2

aspro2 Member

Nov 26, 2004
    MEL
    Hmm, was it that one earns points on the full price, but redeems only for the pre-surcharges price?

5. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Velocity seems to be loosely modelled on Airpoints. I dont know too much about Velocity (other than award costs are terribly non-transparent :evil: ), but I do know about awards on Airpoints.

Using airbucks - for domestic awards the award covers fare and taxes and surcharges (it is wrapped up the same as paid fares now), for international and partner awards the award covers fare but not taxes and surcharges. This is the case not only for the fixed cost awards (longhaul business and partners) but also for the airbuck replaces cash awards.