HSBC Qantas Platinum - bonus points travesty!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G'day all,

I've applied and received the HSBC Qantas Platinum Visa credit card in early August.

It costs $199 annual fee, and I was promised 20,000 bonus points. The bonus points were to be deposited within 8 weeks of my first purchase.
The t&c for the bonus points read "Points will ordinarily be credited within 2 months of making an eligible purchase".

I made my first purchase on the card on August 8. The $199 annual charge has also been charged to me on my first statement. My account has never been on arrears.
Since my first purchase, almost 3 months have passed and no bonus points have been credited - though points from purchases were credited regularly each month.

I called HSBC to ask about the bonus points. The rep I spoke with acknowledged the delay, said that they had some issues with Qantas and he had no idea when the points will be credited (I asked "Will it be a year? two years?" his response: "I cannot tell you.").
Worse, he told me he did not know if the bonus points would be credited at all !!

Of course I was livid at them reneging on the bonus points they had so openly promised, and when I confronted the rep, his response was "if you want I can get a complaint filed from you and give you a reference number".

Has anyone else had the same problem with HSBC Qantas Visa credit card? If the Complaints department does not respond asap, I am willing to take them to the ombudsman and the NSW Dept. of Fair Trading, if needed.

I had a similar experience, but my bonus offer was an older different one. I had to spend X dollars within the first three months. The points were supposed to be there within eight weeks, however they treated it as eight weeks since the three months ended not eight weeks since I reached the X dollar mark (about a month in).

I think the T&Cs were different to what you posted for my promotion though.

Update
I finally received the points credited to my account, 3.5 months after my initial purchase, and after several contacts to their customer service centre and the complaints department.
I received an apology. Still, it left a bit of sour taste in my mouth. I wonder if I'm 1.5 months late with my card repayments, I can similarly get away with just saying "sorry".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back