How to upgrade with Air New Zealand

Discussion in 'Your Questions' started by mella2007, May 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. mella2007

mella2007 Established Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Melbourne
    There are 12 of us flying in July from MEL to LAX. I am a member of Mileage Plus and also Airpoints. I am looking for an upgrade just for myself!
    I have been told that Air New Zealand (even though part of Star Alliance) do not let you use points fpr upgrade rewards.
    Any ideas anyone?

2. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Currently NZ has not joined the *A mileage upgrade program. They have to at some stage, but holding off as long as possible (unsurprisingly given on most routes they can sell the business class at high fares).

The current ways to upgrade on NZ:
    1) pay for business/premium economy
    2) use airpoints to upgrade - depending on fare class and status this may be confirmable in advance or standby
    3) use airpoints elite member complimentary upgrade voucher - confirmable in advance subject to availability, note 2 vouchers are needed per flight to upgrade from economy to business premium, and IIRC MEL-LAX is treated as 2 flights ( :eek: ) as is AKL-LHR
    4) get lucky with an op-up, this is rare especially if you don't have NZ*E, NZ*G or *G status

Note NZ allows upgrades to be combined with awards.