??? How to get an over seas credit card???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ace_silver10

As the title says how do you get a OS credit card from america? I have no family or friends over there.

You generally need a US social security number to get a US credit card.

"Establishing A Credit Rating In America" is a blog I did on this subject of getting to YES with getting a credit card in the US.
I was lucky that I had a Social Security Number from 1994 but it has "not valid for employment" on it. We tend to be in the US for several weeks each year and the Citi Executive card can be used worldwide with zero foreign exchange fees to earn AA miles.

I was very surprised to have been able to open a Wells Fargo "checking" and savings account in the US last month. It comes with a Visa debit card.

I was very surprised to have been able to open a Wells Fargo "checking" and savings account in the US last month. It comes with a Visa debit card.

Beware...I did this many years ago with a nominal sum deposited in same bank. A deposit book, a cheque book and debit card were issued but over a period of 12-24 months all of the balance disappeared in bank charges. It may not be the case now.

Interesting, did you open it in person or online?

Beware...I did this many years ago with a nominal sum deposited in same bank. A deposit book, a cheque book and debit card were issued but over a period of 12-24 months all of the balance disappeared in bank charges. It may not be the case now.

This one requires a minimum balance of $500 per day, not at the end of each month, effectively meaning your balance is x minus $500 as you can never really access those funds (at least for not more than a few hours). If I keep that minimum than there are no fees.

Interesting, did you open it in person or online?

In person. I walked into a Wells Fargo branch wanting to cash American Express TCs. The clerk asked if I had an account with them to which I said "If I had an account with you I wouldn't need USD TCs". I added that I wasn't able to open a US bank account because I didn't have a social security number but the reply came that I could indeed open an account. The manager then introduced himself and a personal banker took me to her station and opened my account. Business cards were given from the manager and the personal banker and I've since corresponded on email.

Wells Fargo is a very large bank with branches and ATMs everywhere. From my perspective the biggest advantage will be purchasing TCs in Australia in the months leading up to my travel then depositing them all at once into my WF account, eliminating the need to find some place that cashes TCs and daily cashing limits.

(Incidentally online access to the account has already been suspended due to some hack trying to access it.)

From my perspective the biggest advantage will be purchasing TCs in Australia in the months leading up to my travel then depositing them all at once into my WF account

Just curious why TC's and why not do a transfer to the account electronically? There are a range of foreign exchange dealers that offer such a service for very little commission/exchange rate differential (eg ozforex).

Just curious why TC's and why not do a transfer to the account electronically? There are a range of foreign exchange dealers that offer such a service for very little commission/exchange rate differential (eg ozforex).

That's not something I'm familiar with but maybe I need to do some research.

That's not something I'm familiar with but maybe I need to do some research.

I use ozforex, who are around 1-1.2 % above the spot rate for SGD-AUD conversions, but I understand there are cheaper services out there - others may be able to advise who. Money is usually there within 24hrs of sending it, I am sure this sort of service will have less "commission" (ie. difference from spot rate) than TCs.

Going to start applying for HKG CCs soon. There are actually too many promotions/offers/schemes in HKG!

Haven't found a free forex fee one yet though.

Going to start applying for HKG CCs soon. There are actually too many promotions/offers/schemes in HKG!

Haven't found a free forex fee one yet though.

SG CC's also have good offers - they tend to focus on ongoing spend rather than sign up offers like a lot of AU cards. For example last Christmas I got 3 pts/$ on overseas spend over (which included ATO and council rates :) ) and now on 6 pts/$ on flights/hotels purchased through expedia asia websites. And there are many many more like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back