How to apply Chase Sapphire Reserve in Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonfungsing

Hi there,

does anyone know if Australian can apply the chase sapphire reserve credit card available in US without SSN.

Cheers

You can’t, I even traveled to the US and specially asked for this card at a Chase branch and they said NO because I am not a citizen and even I am the citizen they will run a credit check. The Chase sapphire is one of the most favourite credit cards in the US.

I have a Chase CC because I have a SSN from 1984 when I lived in California.
My son has two US CCs without a SSN and is establishing a credit file. No deal with Chase so far.

It took two years of building credit in the US until Chase approved me for my first card (CSP).

BofA and Amex on the other hand...

My son started with Bank Of America with a covered credit card and no SSN. The covering deposit has been released so his US credit file is developing. It is a work in progress.

Whats the allure of a Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card ?

I’m not currently planning to make any other applications due to the low and falling $A but hoping I’ll be building up my US credit file as have US Amex via global transfer and a Citi US direct via International program. Assuming both report to Equifax and I have a US address (but not SSN), am I likely to get to ‘yes’ with Chase?

Chase cards have excellent rewards offers and points/miles earn rates.

I’m not currently planning to make any other applications due to the low and falling $A but hoping I’ll be building up my US credit file as have US Amex via global transfer and a Citi US direct via International program. Assuming both report to Equifax and I have a US address (but not SSN), am I likely to get to ‘yes’ with Chase?
Hi albyd,

How does the Citi US direct via International program works? I have a AU signature card, will it able to let me get an US Citi Credit card?

Hi albyd,

How does the Citi US direct via International program works? I have a AU signature card, will it able to let me get an US Citi Credit card?

It works differently to Amex Global Transfer.

I had to set up a checking account by attending in person at a branch. Was advised after that account had 6 months of good standing,I could then apply for a CC under the International program. This was in 2016 and the rules change regularly.

I befriended the ‘banker’ who set up my checking account to facilitate my application remotely and used my AU address for everything. I was approved shortly thereafter.

I’ve tried a few times to get a ‘Credit Line Increase’ (CLI) but instantly declined. Was originally told they would be assessed based on Citi’s internal records for the conduct of my new CC. It appears it needs a credit file which I’m now establishing having set up a US Amex via global transfer. I’ll make a new application in about 6 months once get some activity through from Amex.

Thanks albyd,

It is more effect than amex. Guess I will wait for my credit file build up by my amex then try to apply see how's it going.

I had to set up a checking account by attending in person at a branch. Was advised after that account had 6 months of good standing,I could then apply for a CC under the International program. This was in 2016 and the rules change regularly.

I befriended the ‘banker’ who set up my checking account to facilitate my application remotely and used my AU address for everything. I was approved shortly thereafter.

I’ve tried a few times to get a ‘Credit Line Increase’ (CLI) but instantly declined. Was originally told they would be assessed based on Citi’s internal records for the conduct of my new CC. It appears it needs a credit file which I’m now establishing having set up a US Amex via global transfer. I’ll make a new application in about 6 months once get some activity through from Amex.

Hi, I got a bank account at Citi US, are you able to refer me to your “befriended” banker to apply for a credit card? I called Citi and they have bo idea what I am talking about and they can only help me to open a credit card if I am in the US and have a US address. Please PM me the information. Thank you so much

Very strange all our different experiences in America.

I signed up for a BofA checkings account in 2015 in-branch and was approved with no SSN, although I did have an American residential address and Australian passport which they used to set everything up with....

I also signed up over the phone for the SPG US Amex in 2015, but that was a bit of an ordeal as I had to do a 3-way call between myself, Amex AU and Amex US so Amex AU could confirm my status and payment history for Amex US as I didn't have a US SSN.

I too walked into a Chase building telling them I'd like to apply but as soon as I said I didn't have a SSN - after checking with colleagues - they told me I couldn't apply at all.

I'm going to get my wife to apply for the Chase - which she'll get approved for. My loyalty is with Qantas, and Chase transfer 1:1 to British Airways, but not Qantas. Do you think this is worthwhile for around 40k of Chase points a year... and then I just have to wait to build up the points to then use BA Avios points to purchase international flights... or does that sound too hard and worthless?

Appreciate any thoughts/recommendations.

For anyone who's interested, I asked a mate in the US with this card to explain to me how the points redemption works, as I knew Qantas wasn't a Chase partner airline, but wondered if you could still purchase Qantas tickets with the Chase points and if the value was worth it...

You can obviously use your Chase points to purchase tickets with their partner companies, however as Qantas isn't a partner you cannot do this.

What you can do is buy the Qantas flight outright, as a cash ticket using Chase points which in the below screenshots provides some interesting insights.

1. Economy SYD to LAX return
45,078 points with QANTAS return... which is half of the normal Qantas rewards flight. So I find this interesting.

2. Business SYD to LAX return
453,478 points.... which obviously isn't attractive at all

Made me decide not to get the card in the end :(

Any new data points ? Can one apply for the chase card from Australia Without a US income with an ITIN and a credit history established through a US Amex card ? Thanks 😊 n advance

Any new data points ? Can one apply for the chase card from Australia Without a US income with an ITIN and a credit history established through a US Amex card ? Thanks 😊 n advance

From what I've been able to Google and read, Chase does accept the ITIN instead of a SSN if you have one. But you might need to call them up. However most articles said they accept the 9 digital ITIN in the form field for the SSN as they are both 9 digits.

Do you mind elaborating on what criteria you met to get an ITIN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back