How strict RE: luggage dimensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

scheps

Established Member
Hey guys,

I am just wondering with the restrictions of ~ 158cm total dimension and average of 135cm across 3 items, i was wondering how strict and has anyone ever been pulled up on it? and what happened after that.

Thanks - Scheps

Trying to access your favourite Australian websites when overseas only to discover they have been geo-blocked? Concerned about your internet privacy especially when using unsecured wifi? NordVPN will solve both these common problems.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

opusman

Solutions
I've never seen anyone have their baggage measured, only weighed. It's possible the auto-checkin machines may measure as well as weigh but I don't know either "way".

Qantas
LT Silver
Hi suspect a visual is done to save time otherwise loading would take too long. However, on a Dash8 etc, if the hand luggage is too big for the limited bin space, they take it off you at the bottom of the stairs and give it back on the Tarmac at arrival.

[QnUOTE=scheps;1145395]Hey guys,

I am just wondering with the restrictions of ~ 158cm total dimension and average of 135cm across 3 items, i was wondering how strict and has anyone ever been pulled up on it? and what happened after that.

Thanks - Scheps[/QUOTE]

scheps

Established Member
Oh I am sorry, to put into context
Traveling j 3 pax lax to oz

Cynicor

Established Member
Ana domestic once measured my ski bag. Thought that was odd, going to Sapporo and all- surely they would get dozens of them.

RooFlyer

Enthusiast
Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
Oh I am sorry, to put into context
Traveling j 3 pax lax to oz

Unless you present them with a mountain of luggage, or something obviously over-large, then I'd be very surprised if there was any measuring, especially travelling J as a WP.

But your question indicates that you may have a big item, or lots of it, so if the difference is anything but marginal, you might like to reconsider. We can give all the advice & opinions we like here, but if you are unlucky enough to strike a check in agent who wants to enforce the rules, then you are toast. And checking in at LAX might present more difficult 'discussions' than, say, in Oz.

flychrisfly

Qantas
Platinum
Also, most (nice) airlines allow 2 bags per pax in Y, so having 1 per pax in J really shouldn't cause any issues, unless it is a particularly weird shape (and therefore not fit in a luggage bin) or extraordinarily large.

scheps

Established Member
Thanks guys, you are absolutely right, could get caught out, one item is about 30cm over out of the ten check in we have. It's like size of a baby car seat box. I wonder if boxes ever go to oversize area.

A piggy back question. Anyone tried taking a 42" TV across the Pacific? That's over the dimensions

opusman

Solutions
A piggy back question. Anyone tried taking a 42" TV across the Pacific? That's over the dimensions

No but honestly I would have thought it would be cheaper to just buy a new one. They're dirt cheap these days :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buraqautomotive

Currently Active Users