How long until you are a "new" customer?

benb

On some of the credit card offers they indicate a timeframe until you are a new customer, others I can’t find easily. What are other peoples actual experiences with the time until you are considered “new”?
e.g. interested in Westpac, St George, Qantas, Macquarie (current, recent and future cards), but others are ok too...

Most are 12 months from the date of the previous card closure - some of these 'waiting periods' are card-type specific, whereas most are institution specific. AMEX is 18 months.
Happy if corrected.

On some of the credit card offers they indicate a timeframe until you are a new customer, others I can’t find easily. What are other peoples actual experiences with the time until you are considered “new”?
e.g. interested in Westpac, St George, Qantas, Macquarie (current, recent and future cards), but others are ok too...
Each card specifically states the time period. Normally its either 12 or 18 months.

Always double check when applying. They can change the T&Cs at any time to lengthen the exclusion period if they wish.

Specific question to AMEX:

I've had both a David Jones AMEX and QF Ultimate card, closed on different dates (Ultimate first, DJ AMEX later), anyone know from which closure date the 18th month window starts?

Specific question to AMEX:

I've had both a David Jones AMEX and QF Ultimate card, closed on different dates (Ultimate first, DJ AMEX later), anyone know from which closure date the 18th month window starts?
Separate dates for each card as far as I am aware.

See this term for current David Jones offering:
  1. Customers applying for the David Jones American Express Staff Card or Card Members who currently hold or have previously held any other David Jones Credit Card product issued by American Express Australia Limited in the preceding 18 month period are ineligible for this offer.

The article on 26/4 says:
"Customers will generally be excluded from earning bonus points on a new credit card if they’ve been a previous customer with that bank – even if the credit card previously held is different to the one being applied for."
I'm currently waiting on 80,000 bonus points on a Westpac Altitude Black card for which I have met the spending criteria well within the time frame. I rang Westpac but couldn't get a clear answer on when and if the bonus points will be awarded. It has been several years since I had any sort of Westpac card so I find that quote from the article a little confusing.
Being a card churner I understand the exclusion periods but is this something different or just my misreading of the article?

sorry to start this thread up again but does an additional card holder count as an existing customer??

Just thought I'd update this thread as there have been a few changes.

NAB is now 18 months, and Amex no longer issues David Jones credit cards.

This thread discusses the NAB change:

Details here:

My understanding is that with ANZ, if you had the Qantas card, you can apply for the rewards card or the reverse without the exclusion period but haven't done it myself.

My understanding is that with ANZ, if you had the Qantas card, you can apply for the rewards card or the reverse without the exclusion period but haven't done it myself.
I've had an ANZ Rewards card while applying for a ANZ Frequent Flyer card and still received the sign-up bonus.

I've had an ANZ Rewards card while applying for a ANZ Frequent Flyer card and still received the sign-up bonus.
yeah as per ANZ , frequent flyer cards and rewards cards are separate and you can get the sign up bonus at the same time.

Would I be excluded from a Suncorp card signup bonus If I hold an existing NAB card? Same for Bank of Melbourne/ SA if I hold a St George card?

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back