Answered - How early can I check bags domestically? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Answered How early can I check bags domestically?

WLGFlyer

Hi there,

I will be arriving early into MEL from an international flight and plan to have a day in the office before heading on to SYD. Can I drop off my checked luggage at the domestic checkin in the morning even though my flight isn't until the evening?

Thanks!

RooFlyer

Enthusiast
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Which airlines? Certain combinations you will be able to check your bags through. You'll pick them up and do customs, then drop them off again.

Otherwise, no. Check-in 2 hours before the flight. Leave your bags at the luggage storage facility in the public arrivals area at Melbourne.

mannej

Wouldn’t your bags be tagged the whole way through? You collect your bags prior to customs, and use the unmanned bag drop chute, hence why I wouldn’t think this would be an issue.

RooFlyer

Enthusiast
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Qantas. Same PNR.

2h, really? I'm sure I have dropped bags earlier than 2h?
Don't sweat that. If QF -->QF your bags will be tagged all the way through. Pick up bags, go through customs, head right out of the secure area to the Qantas transfer area, and drop your bags off there.

Austman

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
MEL has a 3 hours bag check-in limit.

But for a through checked itinerary, I think you'll be fine.

WLGFlyer

Thanks all.

Just out of curiosity, what is the limit for BNE/SYD, assuming a purely domestic flight?

JohnK

Veteran Member
Arriving into BNE at ~7:00am followed by domestic flight to SYD at 2:00pm and had to wait until 8:00am before being able to check bags to SYD.

I don't recall but the 2 itineraries may not have been on same booking.