How do you churn between credit cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted User

Looking at retiring a few "old" credit cards in order to achieve more FF harvesting. Whats everybody's thoughts on the best way to do this...?

• By Phone
  • By Mail

Generally I would call but I really hate call centers and don't want a discussion, I just want to flick them...!:evil:

Make the calls prior to the dates of renewal.
They may give you a free year renewal.
I was thinking that Westpac Platinum Kris Flyer had a real cheek moving the points earn goalpost on their Visa on 15th March but the attached Amex is still a winner.
As a result that card survives the cull.
Flyer talk has a discussion on churning especially to do with American Airlines which is a Qantas points partner and Citibank.

Flyer talk has a discussion on churning .

However bare in mind that the USA banking and CC system is different in many ways.

Back to the OP. I would ring as they may offer you an inducement to stay. A fee free year would not sway me though unless I wanted to keep the cad as keeping it may impede a future points offer from that company.

However bare in mind that the USA banking and CC system is different in many ways.

Back to the OP. I would ring as they may offer you an inducement to stay. A fee free year would not sway me though unless I wanted to keep the cad as keeping it may impede a future points offer from that company.

Depends if you really want to be enticed to stay, after hanging on the phone for 1/2 hour (transferred once) for ANZ Visa I just sent them a fax and letter. If you think you may stay with the right inducements phone is probably the way to go though I have sent letters which basically say I'm leaving because "I can get a better rewards rate" or "I can get card with a cheaper annual fee" and they have ALWAYS rung offering an inducement, all that is except ANZ.

We recently did this.
We went to each bank in person and went through the cancel process with them.
With the CBA, they called their own call centre - we were offered fee free etc at that time, but we had already decided to pull the plug and consolidate.

I originally tried over the phone but found the shuffle and wait times were painful. Was quicker in branch (picked a quiet time).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back