Hotel booking using travel credit

knagelli

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Platinum
Hi AFF experts , I am in a sticky situation with one of the hotel bookings that I made using my Amex travel credit. Unfortunately I had to cancel the booking and now Amex tells me that I had forfeited my credit as it is for one time use and hence even if it was a refundable booking I am not entitled to get my credit back.

I do understand in case of using vouchers but is this the norm when using Amex travel credit for hotel bookings.

Appreciate any suggestions or points , towards possible alternate to see if I could get my credit back , if at all possible.

Thanks

Never had to cancel - have you read the T&Cs

I also never had to cancel and this is the first time.

I am sure it must be buried somewhere in the T&Cs however is it not vague that I have not utilized the benefit provided my card by actually consuming the accommodation service.

I am sure it must be buried somewhere in the T&Cs however is it not vague that I have not utilized the benefit provided my card by actually consuming the accommodation service.

If you cancel your hotel booking, travel credit will forfeited.

But during COVID-19 time they let you cancel the booking for free even with travel credit, they changed back this policy after Aug 2022 I think. You can see I canceled the hotel booking on Aug 2022, due to COVID-19 they returned the travel credit to my account.

1674780045270.png

So in this case , if you made booking before AUG 2022, you can try to argue for that.

Amex tells me that I had forfeited my credit as it is for one time use and hence even if it was a refundable booking I am not entitled to get my credit back.
This is correct.

Happened to me during COVID.

Never had to cancel - have you read the T&Cs?
If you cancel your hotel booking, travel credit will forfeited.

But during COVID-19 time they let you cancel the booking for free even with travel credit, they changed back this policy after Aug 2022 I think. You can see I canceled the hotel booking on Aug 2022, due to COVID-19 they returned the travel credit to my account.

View attachment 315187

So in this case , if you made booking before AUG 2022, you can try to argue for that.
Post automatically merged:

No one knows that AMEX have reversed the ruling to pre Covid

You "consumed" the ability to have a credit applied to a booking. Essentially that component was non-refundable.

I'm assuming date changes would still be possible? Is it worth considering moving the stay later OP?

Last edited:
Date change possible, just did mine, however if requesting outside the 24hrs booking window, need manager approval and you pay the entire new booking with your cc, then amex will re credit the travel voucher part back to your card as refund.

Date change possible, just did mine, however if requesting outside the 24hrs booking window, need manager approval and you pay the entire new booking with your cc, then amex will re credit the travel voucher part back to your card as refund.
Would it be possible to cancel on compassionate ground? What was your valid reason if it is ok to ask?

Back