History Of Qantas

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by Maca44, Apr 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Maca44

Maca44 Established Member

Sep 2, 2005
    Sydney

2. garyjohn951

garyjohn951 Active Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Melbourne
    From 15 - 17 June 2007, at the Sydney Stamp Expo, being held in the Shannon Room at Randwick Race Course, one of the exhibits on show is

"Qantas the Spirit of Australia" and described as in catalogue "The exhibit traces the hisotry of QANTAS from its humble beginnings in Western Queensland in 1920 to its 40th Anniversary in 1960. Maps, flight covers, stamps, photographs, letters, airmail stickers, labels and vignettes are displayed."

3. tscharke

tscharke Member

Sep 28, 2006
    i caught the last of a show last night on ABC (i think it's a series on Australian Air Industry) which had some interesting details about the start up of Qantas - seems it was quite deceitful at the beginning and the original man behind the start up of Qantas never actually reaped any benefits!

btw, next weeks show is on the introduction of 1st class on the 'ol flying boats...

edit:: just read that fact seat...the show last night put a different light on Paul McGinness' departure from Qantas......it portrayed that he was ousted rather than pursuing another interest...

4. Soundguy

Soundguy Member

Jun 15, 2006
    Rudd's Banana Republic
    Tscharke, golden rule - I suggest never automatically trust or believe anything you see / hear in the media - PARTICULARLY on ABC! Always check out the other side of the story, especially on issues the media push a lot; if you haven't got time to do that then assume the opposite is very likely true and you often won't be far off the mark. Not that you were looking for free advice but there is is anyway..... ;)

5. vt01

vt01 Member

Jan 6, 2006
    Sydney
    Absolutely fascinating to see the beginning of aviation in Australia. Qantas really had to struggle to get up and running.
    Certainly looks like Paul was put in an untenable position. Treated pretty badly. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't stay.. It would be interesting to find out why it things went the way it did.
    Looking fowardto next week!

6. tscharke

tscharke Member

Sep 28, 2006
    um..rightio then!!! thanks for the media 101 lesson :shock:.....

in future if Im after that 'facts', I will surely consult with you...:D

7. Soundguy

Soundguy Member

Jun 15, 2006
    Rudd's Banana Republic
    No need to do that, just remember that there is only a percentage of truth in all media stories; in many cases these days well less than 50%.

As I largely work for the media I guess you will have to figure out now if they are 50% wrong (as I say) or the opposite: 50% right! :D

8. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map

tscharke,

Unnecessarily harsh, don't you think :?:

You don't need or expect a kick for expressing your opinion :!:

9. tscharke

tscharke Member

Sep 28, 2006
    whoops! i obviuosly missed placing the ";)" in my last post.....

I dont think soundguy found that harsh just as I didn't find his post as such

:cool:

anyhoo, back to the history of qantas...

10. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map

:cool: :D :mrgreen:

11. bambbbam2

bambbbam2 Active Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Perth, WA
    "Air Australia" continues next Thursday
    ABC TV Guide

It was a really interesting documentary.. (I like how it is funded by LotteryWest - in WA all lottery proceeds go to charities rather than the dreaded "consolidated revenue")