HHonors points or Qantas Points? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

HHonors points or Qantas Points?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rono

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Gold
Flights
My Map
Serfty,

My brain is feeling somewhat dulled by all these permutations and combinations that the rest of the AFF community seem to handle with ease.
Every time something changes or I get an offer like this, I struggle to figure out what's best, eg points or miles as per the recent offer.

Earn Points for Rewards | Hilton HHonors

Is there a general of thumb I should be aware of ?

regards

Rono

Cynicor

Established Member
It's much simpler now that HH have removed fixed points. It's like a QF "simplification".

The first step is to assign a notional value to the points. There are differing opinions on how to do this but in short it is either the value of flights that you aim to redeem, minus any co-pay, or the maximum cents per point for a flight that you would pay for. I feel the truth is halfway between them, but in the end you get something close to 2-3 cents per point for a QFF point.

Hilton points have a basic minimum point value around .4c/point up to around 1 or higher. I use 0.5 but aim for 0.75. So I would need to get 4-5 times as many HH points to make HH the sensible option.

Also, it depends on whether you like Hiltons and ever want to redeem at them. I do, especially in Niseko and the Maldives. Status also makes the point more valuable because you can get more for less, including breakfast and exec lounge.

In the end, I take double points but others will go for double miles. I have enough methods for miles that the point are more useful to me.

Credit cards which earn frequent flyer points is a popular way to earn frequent flyer points. You can receive thousands of points on everyday spend. And, many of these cards offer generous signup bonuses! Compare to find the credit card that best suits your needs.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jggerber