HHonors Gold - should I pay for the upgrade?

zultan

I have made a booking, that is now visible within my HHonors account -- when open it I am offered the chance to pay for a room upgrade. I fancy trying out the executive lounge, but should I wait in case I get a free upgrade as a gold member (thanks to Amex)?

Hvr

Enthusiast
Qantas
Platinum
When and where? Someone may have experience of staying at that hotel and can share their upgrade knowledge of that location.

When: because upgrade availability may be affected by local events.

Daver6

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Gold
It might depend on what level room you've booked. Ie, if you've booked base room your upgrade might just be to a room on a higher floor/better view (not really an upgrade IMHO).

At check-in you can always ask if they can give you exec room access. I guess it's a bit of a lottery. IF you go the pay for room upgrade option you can be sure you won't be getting access for free based on HH status.

Blackadder

Established Member
I have made a booking, that is now visible within my HHonors account -- when open it I am offered the chance to pay for a room upgrade. I fancy trying out the executive lounge, but should I wait in case I get a free upgrade as a gold member (thanks to Amex)?
Recently had 4 Hilton Stays (2 Sydney,1 Brisbane, 1 Melbourne) 0/4 from upgrades, as a Gold member.

turtlemichael

Established Member
It may have changed by now and certainly by the time you get to Adelaide but the lounge was closed when I was there a month or so ago. Maybe someone can update? If the arrangements of canapes in the downstairs bar still apply I would certainly not be paying more for access.

jase05

Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Platinum
It may have changed by now and certainly by the time you get to Adelaide but the lounge was closed when I was there a month or so ago. Maybe someone can update? If the arrangements of canapes in the downstairs bar still apply I would certainly not be paying more for access.
Yeah, I was last there about 6 weeks ago and they were hoping the EL would open again in early June but I haven’t heard anyone report that it has opened again yet

zultan

So without the EL, is the $125 upgrade from a standard room to junior suite worth the bump? Also, I wonder why hotels require a 3rd party like Nor1 to administer upgrade like this?