Hertz 15% or 20% Discount for Amex Platinum cardholders

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not a lawyer, so it is not a legal opinion, as such, but a cautious approach.

The clause I quoted forms part of the rental agreement and, as such, I don't see how you could get around saying that you were being truthful if you were not entitled to use a CDP that provides you with a financial advantage. Effectively, you are benefitting financially from something you are not entitled to.

Further, as I've already mentioned numerous times in this thread, the financial balance of power is in the rental car company's favour, given it is their car, their agreement and they have the right to charge your credit card and pursue you for costs. For the sake of a few dollars, why would you take the the risk, when the odds are stacked against you?

To clarify this, Hertz would charge your credit card and it would then be up to you to argue you were not liable.

Not a position I would want to be in, when you are talking about a potentially large legal and financial liability, but each to their own.
Well I'm not a lawyer either but I am a program manager managing regulatory & compliance projects. One of the key issues for many companies is ensuring they get their disclosure correct (T&C's, PDS's etc) because multiple regulators have taken the view, and are increasing interested in enforcing that view, that T&C's must be a) complete and b) disclosed. Such clauses that have "implicit" condition, e.g. specifically here what are the conditions of use of a particular are a big no no and a number of such regulators have pushed back on them. Their view is strongly that it both must be explicit in the contract and must be disclosed to be enforceable. And while the appearances are that the big companies have the power the reality is they are not exempt from the law and they are well aware of this.

This is of course why these days we get swamped by PDS's, revised T&C's from banks, insurance companies, utilities etc along with the fact that when you get a rental contract the rental company is very keen to ensure you read and sign it (assuming you are not an "informed" frequent renter who is treated slightly differently). While the impression that companies want to give from their T&C's is that they hold all the cards, I just don't think that is the reality, most companies while they resent the regulation and compliance are all too aware of it and don't want to rock the boat with the regulator in enforcing condiation they feel wouldn't survive challenge and personally from my experience most companies realise that regulation is steadily increasing to address "bad corporate behaviour" and its a lower stress/cost approach to go along with regulators rather than fight.

I don't particualrly disagree with the cautious approach but actually think this is relatively low risk, aside from all else, aside from actually asking you for your credit card upfront (which does fit in with disclosure regime, you ask to see the card as part of disclosing you must meet certain conditions for this rate) how would the actually know you dont have a Platimum Card. It would be a breach of the Privact Act for AMEX to disclose this to them!

I acknowledge the risk is probably quite low. But what I think you fail to understand is that if they catch you using a CDP you are not entitled to use and cancel the rental agreement, as you put it (I assume you mean cancel the Loss Damage Waiver), you may have no cover whatsoever, so you may end up being liable for all of the following costs: damage to the rental car, damage to any other car involved (what happens if it's a Porsche or Ferrari?), damage to any other property and being sued by any other person involved. It could amount to tens of thousands, not just a higher excess!
I think you are mentioning an extreme that is not likely to happen and would not stand up in court.

If I hire a car in MEL next month with no CDP the cost is ~$65 and LDW is included with a very high excess which is covered by travel insurance.

But if I use a CDP which I am not entitled to use the cost comes down to ~$47 but if they catch me then I dont have a valid rental agreement? Why? Because I used a CDP available on internet that was not checked at time of rental. I dont think so. I should still have all included with no CDP so that means LDW as per my point above with a high excess.

And still covered by travel insurance.

I think you are mentioning an extreme that is not likely to happen and would not stand up in court.

If I hire a car in MEL next month with no CDP the cost is ~$65 and LDW is included with a very high excess which is covered by travel insurance.

But if I use a CDP which I am not entitled to use the cost comes down to ~$47 but if they catch me then I dont have a valid rental agreement? Why? Because I used a CDP available on internet that was not checked at time of rental. I dont think so. I should still have all included with no CDP so that means LDW as per my point above with a high excess.

The onus is on YOU to use a CDP to which you are entitled to.

You will not be covered by Hertz or travel insurance if you are using a CDP which you are not entitled to!

But good luck with it

The onus is on YOU to use a CDP to which you are entitled to.

You will not be covered by Hertz or travel insurance if you are using a CDP which you are not entitled to!

If I do not use A CDP then I am I am covered.

But if I use a CDP I am not entitled to use then I am not covered for anything? Not even for the things I was covered with no CDP?

Makes no sense. Enough of this circular discussion....

If I do not use A CDP then I am I am covered.

But if I use a CDP I am not entitled to use then I am not covered for anything? Not even for the things I was covered with no CDP?

Makes no sense. Enough of this circular discussion....

As I have mentioned many times, unlikely, but definitely possible. As for whether it would stand up in court, I think you're wrong in assuming it wouldn't, if you're using a CDP you were not entitled to use, or cannot prove you were entitled to use.

Rental car companies agree to rent you the car and provide a loss damage waiver, provided you do not breach the rental agreement. As I already mentioned, using a CDP you were not entitled to use, could be considered a breach of the rental agreement and also your travel insurance. Just one clause that might catch you up from 1Cover's PDS:

We will not pay under any circumstances if:

.... Your claim arises because you act illegally ....

I'm sure there are others. Insurers will do anything in their power to minimise their loss.

Once you breach the rental agreement, all bets are off! It doesn't just revert to the standard cover, you have no cover!

I think the wording cancel the rental agreement is probably not quite correct, since clearly the terms and condition under which Hertz could act only take affect because you have such an agreement and have indicated you agree with it. Bit of a catch 22 really. What is being suggested is of course that your insurance will become invalid. In itself not strictly technically correct as the LDW is not in fact insurance in the normal legal terms (or at least the car rental companies dont call it insurance in their T&C's), its a waiver that they wont chase you for money's above the excess.

Having said this, one of the reasons I was asking a poster if they were a lawyer (so I wasn't just questioning their advice) was that my understanding is that basic CDW MUST form part of a rental car agreement under Australian Law and hence as per their T&C's ((a) Except to the extent otherwise implied by law) they can't exclude, much as they might want to.

Oh and PS. To AdMEL, contracts are not synonymous with Law and not complying with a contract is not synonymous with breaking the law, i.e. illegal.

Last edited:
As I have mentioned many times, unlikely, but definitely possible. As for whether it would stand up in court, I think you're wrong in assuming it wouldn't, if you're using a CDP you were not entitled to use, or cannot prove you were entitled to use.

Rental car companies agree to rent you the car and provide a loss damage waiver, provided you do not breach the rental agreement. As I already mentioned, using a CDP you were not entitled to use, could be considered a breach of the rental agreement and also your travel insurance. Just one clause that might catch you up from 1Cover's PDS:
You are making the assumption that because I used the wrong CDP my rental agreement is null and void.

I dont think so. What if I typed in the wrong CDP and I wss not entitled to use it? The rental company did not check whether I was entitled to use CDP at time of rental. They cant now turn around and say tough luck you are not covered.

The minimum insurance they provide in Australia includes LDW and high excess. That is what you should have as a minimum.

I think some people are reading way too much into it. People have been using CDPs for many years on these forums and there has not been a single instance reported where the rental agreement has been cancelled for using wrong CDP.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know of one rental of mine that must have cost Avis an absolute packet. About ten years ago, booked a small car for a 2 day weekend rental from Charleville airport (where we were visiting for the weekend - morning Dash 8 from Brisbane, stop at Roma, then to Charleville). Had an Avis weekend discount rate - so paid around $80 for the two days. This was all booked in advance.

To make the $80 from me:

1. [*=1]Avis put a Commodore on a transport from Toowoomba and shipped it to Charleville - over 600km by road
    [*=1]Had a rep come out to the airport specifically to meet the flight and do the rental
    [*=1]Had the same rep come back out on the Sunday to accept the return
    [*=1]Sent the car back to Toowoomba on a transport
I know this was what was done, as the agent told me. Other than the two days I had the car, it was also unavailable for another 2 days while it was being shipped, and it probably consumed at least 2 hours (probably more) of the agent's time, as they had to meet the transport the day before, meet me twice, and then put the car back on the transport.

This rental must have been a huge loss - but making sure that they deliver on their promise to have availability.

I remember reading about your rental somewhere else on here (or possibly FT?). It certainly beats any of my efforts at costing them money to rent me a car! One of my best examples was a weekend rental of a Merc C200 from Hertz, which cost a total of $75 and included tolls! They inadvertently billed me for the tolls - almost $40! Not much left when you take out tolls, GST, registration! Once they've paid to clean the car, I don't think there be anything left!

Well I'm not a lawyer either but I am a program manager managing regulatory & compliance projects. One of the key issues for many companies is ensuring they get their disclosure correct (T&C's, PDS's etc) because multiple regulators have taken the view, and are increasing interested in enforcing that view, that T&C's must be a) complete and b) disclosed. Such clauses that have "implicit" condition, e.g. specifically here what are the conditions of use of a particular are a big no no and a number of such regulators have pushed back on them. Their view is strongly that it both must be explicit in the contract and must be disclosed to be enforceable. And while the appearances are that the big companies have the power the reality is they are not exempt from the law and they are well aware of this.

This is of course why these days we get swamped by PDS's, revised T&C's from banks, insurance companies, utilities etc along with the fact that when you get a rental contract the rental company is very keen to ensure you read and sign it (assuming you are not an "informed" frequent renter who is treated slightly differently). While the impression that companies want to give from their T&C's is that they hold all the cards, I just don't think that is the reality, most companies while they resent the regulation and compliance are all too aware of it and don't want to rock the boat with the regulator in enforcing condiation they feel wouldn't survive challenge and personally from my experience most companies realise that regulation is steadily increasing to address "bad corporate behaviour" and its a lower stress/cost approach to go along with regulators rather than fight.

I don't particualrly disagree with the cautious approach but actually think this is relatively low risk, aside from all else, aside from actually asking you for your credit card upfront (which does fit in with disclosure regime, you ask to see the card as part of disclosing you must meet certain conditions for this rate) how would the actually know you dont have a Platimum Card. It would be a breach of the Privact Act for AMEX to disclose this to them!

Whilst I am not a lawyer, I do deal with contract documentation and PDS', etc. every day and I have a little understanding of legislation and contracts.

I agree that regulators are taking a tough stance (and have been for some time) regarding unfair clauses and poor disclosure. I also mentioned more than once that contracts cannot take away your statutory rights. However, I'm of the opinion that we've had that sort of regulatory regime in place for so long now, that there would be very few contracts in place with large companies like big name car rental companies and banks, insurance companies, etc., that would contain clauses that are outside the law and would be unenforceable.

I have mentioned more than once that the risk is low, but I think it is still there. I agree that it would be a breach of the privacy act for Amex to disclose that you hold an Amex Plat Card, but as I and others have mentioned, the onus will be on the renter to prove they were eligible to use the CDP (i.e. in the case we're discussing, hold an Amex Plat Charge Card), rather than Hertz to prove they weren't.

At the end of the day, they have an authority to debit your credit card and it is then up to you to dispute it - that's where they are in the biggest position of power.

I think the wording cancel the rental agreement is probably not quite correct, since clearly the terms and condition under which Hertz could act only take affect because you have such an agreement and have indicated you agree with it. Bit of a catch 22 really. What is being suggested is of course that your insurance will become invalid. In itself not strictly technically correct as the LDW is not in fact insurance in the normal legal terms (or at least the car rental companies dont call it insurance in their T&C's), its a waiver that they wont chase you for money's above the excess.

Having said this, one of the reasons I was asking a poster if they were a lawyer (so I wasn't just questioning their advice) was that my understanding is that basic CDW MUST form part of a rental car agreement under Australian Law and hence as per their T&C's ((a) Except to the extent otherwise implied by law) they can't exclude, much as they might want to.

Oh and PS. To AdMEL, contracts are not synonymous with Law and not complying with a contract is not synonymous with breaking the law, i.e. illegal.

Agree wholeheartedly with your first paragraph. In fact, in Australia, you need an Australian Financial Services Licence (AFSL) to sell insurance and car rental companies don't have one. The regulation and training involved mean that it would be too costly. I suspect it would be similar everywhere else in the world too.

With regard to your second paragraph, it was also my understanding that rental cars in Australia must be comprehensively 'insured' (i.e. CDW must be included) by Law, but despite much searching (as I mentioned above, I do have some experience with legislation), I cannot find the relevant legislation. If you know where to find, I'd be most interested. However, that does not mean that they are not within their rights to cancel the waiver if you breach the agreement, as the damage waiver is provided on the basis you do not breach the agreement, which using a CDP without entitlement could be argued as a breach.

With regard to your last paragraph, no worries, my mistake.

You are making the assumption that because I used the wrong CDP my rental agreement is null and void.

I dont think so. What if I typed in the wrong CDP and I wss not entitled to use it? The rental company did not check whether I was entitled to use CDP at time of rental. They cant now turn around and say tough luck you are not covered.

The minimum insurance they provide in Australia includes LDW and high excess. That is what you should have as a minimum.

I think some people are reading way too much into it. People have been using CDPs for many years on these forums and there has not been a single instance reported where the rental agreement has been cancelled for using wrong CDP.

Again, I'm saying that using a CDP you cannot prove you are entitled to use may leave you open to having the damage waiver voided, resulting in you being liable for all damage, rather than just the excess, as the damage waiver is provided on the basis you do not breach the agreement, which using a CDP without entitlement could be argued as a breach.

Again, I'm saying that using a CDP you cannot prove you are entitled to use may leave you open to having the damage waiver voided, resulting in you being liable for all damage, rather than just the excess, as the damage waiver is provided on the basis you do not breach the agreement, which using a CDP without entitlement could be argued as a breach.
People unintentionally using CDPs they were not entitled to use will be punished for using that CDP? Mistakes happen such as taking links from websites advertising rental companies. Typing errors occur. Sometimes websites populate fields with garbage.

If it is our right to prove that we are entitled to use a CDP then this should happen up front and not when a claim happens.

As I mentioned earlier the risk is very low. I think what will happen if you have to claim is they will ask you to pay the excess on the rental not check what the CDP is and whether you are entitled to use it.

Sponsored Post

Struggling to use your Frequent Flyer Points?

Frequent Flyer Concierge takes the hard work out of finding award availability and redeeming your frequent flyer or credit card points for flights.

Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, the Frequent Flyer Concierge team at Frequent Flyer Concierge will help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

This whole discussion has gone off on a tangent. No one's suggesting that people are knowingly using a CDP to which they are not 'entitled'.

JohnK's whole argument is that, as an Amex Plat credit card holder, he is indeed entitled to avail himself of the CDP in question. Others say that particular CDP is only 'meant' for the Amex Plat charge card, even though that is not stated in the CDP description on the Hertz website.

The only actual issue here is - how does Hertz define the CDP 'AMEX PLATINUM CARD AU'? How Amex, or multiple parties on this site, define it is totally irrelevant. The CDP is issued by Hertz, and applied by Hertz, so the only definition that matters is Hertz's.

We need to know:
1. How does Hertz define it?
2. Where is that definition published?

This whole discussion has gone off on a tangent. No one's suggesting that people are knowingly using a CDP to which they are not 'entitled'.

JohnK's whole argument is that, as an Amex Plat credit card holder, he is indeed entitled to avail himself of the CDP in question. Others say that particular CDP is only 'meant' for the Amex Plat charge card, even though that is not stated in the CDP description on the Hertz website.

The only actual issue here is - how does Hertz define the CDP 'AMEX PLATINUM CARD AU'? How Amex, or multiple parties on this site, define it is totally irrelevant. The CDP is issued by Hertz, and applied by Hertz, so the only definition that matters is Hertz's.

We need to know:
1. How does Hertz define it?
2. Where is that definition published?

Agree that the whole thread has gone off on a tangent!

JohnK has admitted that he uses a CDP/AWD that he is not entitled use (SES), but each to their own.

With regard to the questions you raised, I suspect that unless you either work for Hertz or Amex in the relevant areas, or are specifically issued with the CDP by Amex, you won't know. It is effectively privileged information.

Agree that the whole thread has gone off on a tangent!

JohnK has admitted that he uses a CDP/AWD that he is not entitled use (SES), but each to their own.

With regard to the questions you raised, I suspect that unless you either work for Hertz or Amex in the relevant areas, or are specifically issued with the CDP by Amex, you won't know. It is effectively privileged information.
Which is essentially the point being made, how can Hertz legitimately say you are abusing the terms of the CDP if they refuse to disclose what those T&C's are, so how are you expected to know. A pretty hard argument to make to a court or a regulator.

Probably not true for SES example but definitely true for the Amex Platimum card, I have A Platinum Amex card, it says Platinum on the card and is an Amex card, just not THE Amex Platinum card but how am I suppose to know that and know I am abusing the system is Hertz refuses to dislose that it is only one specific Amex Plat this can be used for (even one of their operators did not know this, how exactly am I supposed to know except for the word of a couple of you on this site who haven't disclosed they work for Amex and hence probably dont really know themselves).

Which is essentially the point being made, how can Hertz legitimately say you are abusing the terms of the CDP if they refuse to disclose what those T&C's are, so how are you expected to know. A pretty hard argument to make to a court or a regulator.

Probably not true for SES example but definitely true for the Amex Platimum card, I have A Platinum Amex card, it says Platinum on the card and is an Amex card, just not THE Amex Platinum card but how am I suppose to know that and know I am abusing the system is Hertz refuses to dislose that it is only one specific Amex Plat this can be used for (even one of their operators did not know this, how exactly am I supposed to know except for the word of a couple of you on this site who haven't disclosed they work for Amex and hence probably dont really know themselves).

The point of this is that you should only be using a CDP that is provided by official channels, i.e. from Amex if you hold the relevant Amex Plat Charge Card. If you haven't been issued with the CDP via the official channel, for example picking it up on the internet, use it at your peril.

With regard to the Hertz staff disclosing the CDP over the phone - my suspicion is that if they were caught doing that, they would be reprimanded.

The point of this is that you should only be using a CDP that is provided by official channels, i.e. from Amex if you hold the relevant Amex Plat Charge Card. If you haven't been issued with the CDP via the official channel, for example picking it up on the internet, use it at your peril.

With regard to the Hertz staff disclosing the CDP over the phone - my suspicion is that if they were caught doing that, they would be reprimanded.

I started this thread after reading about the Hertz discount for Amex Platinum Charge cardholders on the Virgin board as it was something I had not heard about before and I thought it would benefit others as well. Whenever I've had discounts from Hertz I've always phoned them to make my bookings after checking prices on their website and asked what discounts were available and over the years I was given discounts for QFF and NRMA and when those discounts stopped or were reduced they told me I could get 5% discount for my Virgin Velocity membership, which was on my Hertz profile along with my QFF membership, after Hertz stopped awarding QFF points for each rental.

I phoned them this week after reading about the Amex Platinum Charge card discounts and they were happy to change my bookings from the Virgin 5% discount to the Amex Platinum 20% discount when I told them I have an Amex Platinum Charge Card.

If I've done the wrong thing by posting this information here I'm sorry but I had no idea that the CDP codes should not have been disclosed here until I read the various posts on this thread as I had seen other CDPs listed when I did a search looking for more information about the Amex Platinum Charge card discount before calling Amex and then Hertz when I couldn't find anything.

When I changed my bookings I hadn't thought to ask for the CDP code and I then called back to ask what it is so I could post it here to help others, like I've been helped in so many ways over the years with various posts on AFF. On that call I also asked about which Amex Platinum cards were valid for this CDP since it just says "AMEX PLATINUM CARD AU" on my bookings and I thought that maybe the discount is also valid for other Amex Platinum cards like Reserve and Edge and that if so this could help others who have those cards. The lady at Hertz I spoke to just told me what it says - Amex Platinum card, so she may not have been aware that there are different types of Amex Platinum cards so I also passed on what I'd been told in my reply earlier in the thread. As I've said I do have the Charge card and that's the card that's on my profile and I use it to pay for my rentals so I'm sure I am entitled to use it.

I would also expect that if someone had another Amex Platinum card and they called Hertz and asked if it was valid and the Hertz representative said yes and added it to their booking that you should be able to rely on the Hertz representative knowing the rules for that CDP and it being valid for your booking without any problems.

I also didn't realise that I could add the CDPs to my Hertz profile until someone else mentioned that here, so I've now added them.

If I've done the wrong thing by posting this information here I'm sorry but I had no idea that the CDP codes should not have been disclosed here until I read the various posts on this thread as I had seen other CDPs listed when I did a search looking for more information about the Amex Platinum Charge card discount before calling Amex and then Hertz when I couldn't find anything.

if you have done the wrong thing your post would have been moderated as per the rules, you have not, nothing wrong with sharing info on CDPs, just be aware that there maybe implications if your not entitled to use it, and be aware some of our members actually work for Hertz.

Whether they are reprimanded or not is irrelevant to me as a consumer, its the company who has put them on the phone and they are acting as the companies agent when they do so and gave me this information. A companies internal policies on this are unknown to me and its a leap to suggest I should be aware of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back