Help with Travel Insurance. I have a pre existing illness. | Page 2 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Help with Travel Insurance. I have a pre existing illness.

love_the_life

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I have recently had some trouble with TI as I have a pre-existing heart condition, but haven't had a heart attack. I usually use Insureandgo but have also used Defence Health Travel Insurance. If one has Health Insurance with Defence Health, one also gets a discount. We did try to make a small claim with Defence Health recently, but the paperwork was ridiculous, so we didn't pursue the claim.
In 2015, I tried all these companies before I found Insureandgo.
Allianz
Apia
Boomers
BUPA
Columbus
COTA
Covermore
Insure4less
National Seniors
RACQ
Southern Cross
Suncorp
Suresave
travelinsurancedirect
Worldcare
I have recently tried the following with no luck.
Tick Travel
Southern Cross
Australian Seniors
1Cover travel
Fast cover
Columbus
The recent issue I have had with Insureandgo is that I want to get insurance for a cruise which doesn't leave Australian waters. The good news is that my policy cost is the same whether I have pre-existing conditions or not. This is because all health costs are covered by Medicare and private health insurance, if you have any. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be covered if I had to cancel the cruise due to a pre-existing condition. So it's not really the policy I need.
I continue to trawl the internet looking for options.
As soon as you set food on the ship, your Medicare cover ceases, so if you need medical treatment you would have have wait till you are at a port and take yourself to the doctor. Insureandgo shows Aust/New Zealand cruise cover. Is the issue your pre-exisiting?

love_the_life

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Agree with the recommendations for Insureandgo - looking through the website it looks like they might cover your health issue. You didn't specify when it was you wanted to travel and am assuming that the dr has given the all clear.

Maybe you could ask the Moderators to move this to a more relevant spot as it's not really part of Introductions. :)

Wedgetail

Hi My husband had a significant stroke and we were able to get insurance through all clear. It wasnt cheap but covered everything. The price dropped significantly however once he was 6 months from the stroke. Good luck.

sinophile888

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Hi My husband had a significant stroke and we were able to get insurance through all clear. It wasnt cheap but covered everything. The price dropped significantly however once he was 6 months from the stroke. Good luck.
My quote for annual travel insurance with All Clear for myself and Mr. s. was $5387 or $5818. However, this is the first company I have found which will cover us. So it may be an option. Thank you for the suggestion.

Quickstatus

AFF Supporter
I want to book a trip to the US, Canada, and a cruise to Alaska, but I am having trouble getting travel insurance because of a pre existing illness. I had a heart attack last November and now have a stent.
@kathy1975, Welkom!!

Is the “trouble” a refusal to insure or is the premium too high?

Waiting a bit helps with stents.
And then depends on whether stent(s) is Bare Metal (BMS) or Drug Eluting (DES)
I guess you are currently on dual antiplatelet therapy. Risk of stent thrombosis is highest in first 3 months if BMS and first 12 months in DES. Dual antiplatelet therapy a necessity during this period.
Having an infarct complicates things a bit.

When are you looking to do the cruise?.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nadjalo