Help - reached my points cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

karmg

Well for the first year ever I've reached my points capping on my platinum CBA card. Zero points earned on my statement I received today. I knew I had nearly reached my limit so have held off on paying my Tax Bill - amongst others.

Knowing my December statement has been issued, I thought now I can pay my bills and as they'll come through on my January statement, and I'll start earning points again. Thing is, I just rang CBA to double-check, and was told points are earned from 1/1 to 31/12 (not Jan bank statement to Dec bank statement). So I'll keep holding back as many bills as I can until 1/1 just to make sure.

This does sound odd to me though, I always thought it would be from statement to statement. Has anyone else out there had this happen to them and do you know if you started earning points on all your purchases on your January Statement that would have included Dec expenses?

Karen

The same thing happens to me almost every year - very annoying, especially as there's no easy way to know how many points you have earned in each calendar year without counting up what goes into your FF account.

As far as I can tell you don't earn points on transactions made before 1 Jan in the next calendar year - so December transactions on January's statement won't count. If I can dig out last Jan's statement I'll take a look and confirm.

I ended up switching to the Qantas AMEX and now just use the CBA MasterCard where AMEX isn't accepted.

I did the same thing.....use QANTAS AMEX with the CBA Card as a backup.

I agree, very frustrating as you can't see how many points you really earn from statements dates only, I've rung them a couple of times over the past few months to see what my spend was up to.

Unfortunately I didn't think about it until I pressed the 'pay now' button on the first $5,000 of the tax bill. There goes 15,000 points as I paid by the new Amex card attached to the Mastercard and was hoping to get the triple points on offer between now the end of January. I suppose I'm lucky I checked before paying the rest of the bill!

I actually do have a Qantas amex card as a back up but was really going for triple points with the new CBA Amex.

Karen

Yes I will have to look at other options next year as I will probably reach that cap again. I've just paid my annual fee though, so will see how it goes for the first half of next year. Being able to pay the ATO by CC has definitely upped my points earn alot.

Also, to update, I have a message on my phone this morning from CBA saying they were wrong. The lady I spoke to at the call centre yesterday didn't know the answer about when points start/stop, so she checked with her 'team leader' and came back with the answer as in my first post. I must have asked 'are you sure' about 3 times, so she said she'd 'ask around' and if she came up with a different answer she'd let me know. So today the message says I can spend away as points do actually go from statement to statement. So good news, I will still earn that extra 15000 points I was after. I'm still a bit wary about spending now, although I've saved her phone message in case I need it later.

Karen

I actually do have a Qantas amex card as a back up but was really going for triple points with the new CBA Amex.

Karen

Why have 2 cards. This means 2 fees.
As mentioned by another post in this thread, I suggest checking out the NAB Qantas Platinum Visa Card . This give you a NAB Qantas Platinum Amex card for free. All with one fee of $290. NO CAPPING.
The earn rate is for the AMex $1 = 1.5 QFF points
and for the Visa $3 = 2QFF pts.
Read about this card here
NAB - NAB Qantas Platinum Credit Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back