Has anyone visited Egypt in August?

MG1

Active Member
Joined
May 2, 2022
Posts
515
Qantas
Platinum 1
Virgin
Platinum
Oneworld
Emerald
Hi, all,
I wanted to ask for some advice about visiting Egypt in August - one of its hottest months.

I've been planning a trip to Egypt for more than 3 years. I'm due to go in August 2027. The reason I'm going then, and have been planning it for so long, is that there will be a Total Solar Eclipse (TSE) occurring at that time. (I've been fortunate enough to have witnessed a TSE previously and it was amazing - I would definitely recommend it.)

I've booked a multi-day guided tour with an overseas travel agency (I've used them before for a day-trip, so, I know that they're a real company).

Since I was a child, I've been fascinated by Egyptian culture and the pyramids, so this trip should be amazing. I've been slowly paying it off in instalments for more than 3 years (the next one is due at the end of the month). There is no option to shift the tour to another time as the tour is operating then due to the timing of the TSE.

August will be an exceptionally hot time to visit (38C in Cairo, up to 45C in Awsan). I know that when it's >35C at home I don't want to be outside. To be 10C more than that, for the duration of the tour, could be considered foolish, and potentially dangerous, for me to pursue. (Yes, I knew about the heat beforehand but was only thinking about the TSE but as I get older (I've been planning this for 3 years), I'm thinking more about my health and safety.)

I've enquired about cancellation conditions with the tour company. They have a tiered scale which is based solely on timing. Even though they've got a very long waitlist, they're not willing to refund me all my money as they're sticking solely to their policy. This means that if I quit, I stand to lose >$2k (not insubstantial). I enquired about holding credit for a future tour (to visit a different location for a TSE) but they're only willing to hold the lower amount (so, still a loss of >$2k).

Has anyone on here visited Egypt during August before? If so, how bearable (or unbearable) was the heat?
Whilst some may say that the crowds are usually lower in August due to the heat, as there'll be a TSE occurring, it's likely that this benefit will not occur in 2027.

My choice is basically this: 45C or lose >$2k?

Most people I've spoken to, have suggested to accept the loss as my health is more important (my father even made the point that $2k is minimal compared to how much I've saved with points flights (thanks, mostly, due to the help and tips that I've received from AFF)). Whilst I mostly agree, it's frustrating that this is essentially a $2k (~USD1.4k) profit for the tour company, for doing nothing. Yes, it's how the world works, capitalism, et cetera - it's still super frustrating.

(If I go, I'll likely add a tour (via a separate company) to Jordan, to visit Petra (and, if time allows, go to some locations in Europe too - but that's for a separate discussion). On top of that, it would make for a nice trip report.)

Regards.
 
Last edited:
I think only you know how badly the heat will affect you. There’s also a difference between being uncomfortable and dangerous, depending on your age and health conditions.

I went to Jordan early August, a couple of years ago when I was 46. Yes, it was damn hot, especially at Dead Sea (-ve altitude). But I was in reasonable shape. The tour operator also did a great job of very early starts on the worst days, or planning to be on the road (in AC) during the middle of the day.

I wouldn’t cancel based on heat, but if your health is average, does the lead in time allow you to improve that?
 
Agree with scr77… only you know your health limits.

Done egypt many times, in various seasons. When it’s hit it is dry heat, so not quite as bad as hot and humid (43 degrees in bangkok with 100% humidity is not fun).

The key is early starts… for example we were up before dawn, took a row boat across the nile, then donkey ride to valley of the kings to watch the sunrise. And then back to the hotel to nap, and have for an afternoon of air-con and cooling off in the pool. Head out again a night for evening tours of the monuments or sound and light shows or wandering around markets.

In Cairo the museum is sort of air conditioned… not icy, but just comfortable… as in another degree or two and it would be uncomfortable. You just hop from air-con uber or tour bus to air-con venue.

Same with the pyramids… got to visit early, or late in the afternoon when the crowds have thinned.

I unashamedly use an umbrella in those sorts of conditions if necessary… don’t care what anyone thinks :) (most likely they’re thinking ‘why didn’t we think of that 🤣)
 
Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Agree with @MEL_Traveller . Check what time the tout operator is planning to visit the pyramids. Morning and early evening should be fine.

But even in the middle of the day, I would do it - with an umbrella, hat and water I don't think the heat will be a big issue for short periods - as long as you are reasonably mobile. If you need some support to walk, then maybe not. Bus the tours of the pyramids these days tend to be bus park in designated spot, take pics; drive to next stop, stop, pics; time for wander & maybe pay to enter pyramid (not recommended at this time of year- its very crowded and humid) or take camel ride (again, I wouldn't recommend that) , next stop etc. You can get the views without much exertion if you want to minimise it.

Petra would be a different matter, again, unless you get an early - sparrows - (not late) start. Its a long walk - through the Siq is OK (~2km), in the shade, but in Petra site its open (except in the tombs) and a long walk slightly downhill to the end (~1.5km) , (and side walks to see the tombs) and then the long walk back slightly uphill. But Petra is fantastic.
 
I was there in September so not quite. But that was 1990. It was still hot but I'd live in northwest NSW through hot dry summers before that and it really didn't bother me. That said I was only in my early 20s.
One of the great things about visiting Egypt when you are young is that you never have to go back!!
 
I agree with all the other comments. I have not been to Egypt in August, but I have been to UAE and Oman in early September where it was hot (43 degrees most days) and humid. I hate the heat. I was 57 when I did that and in average health and slightly above average fitness but I did find it wearing.

As others have said early starts are a must (and I hate early starts almost as much as the heat), take plenty of water, wear loose, light, cool clothing, I agree about the umbrella as a sun shade, and pace yourself very slowly. There is a reason we joke about Island Time - just move slowly and do not hurry or rush at all. Avoid exertion - pay the porter to carry your things. Take re-set breaks in air con and have a lovely cool drink.

I don’t know the state of your health, and I agree that $2000 is an annoyingly “significant” amount to forego if you do decide to cancel - but compared to your health, not that much really. However, given your life long love of things Egyptian and the TSE opportunity, I would really look at the schedule and consider your options before deciding to cancel. There may be ways you can manage it, even if you have to cut some things out and rest more than you thought.

Come back and tell us what you decide?
 

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back
Top