Got US CitiBank acc. Can I put $US into it in AU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielh

I have a US CitiBank account I opened up recently when in the US last month.

I have some left over $US and I want to put it into my CitiBank account and was wondering if I could just rock up to the local AUS CitiBank bricks and mortar site, give them US cash and say, "put this in my US account, here is my card".

Regards
Daniel

I am sorry I cant help,but please tell me how you got an account in the USA.I have tried but without a social security number I might as well be Saddam Hussein.Please dont tell me you have an SS number,I am hoping there is a way.

danielh said:
...and was wondering if I could just rock up to the local AUS CitiBank bricks and mortar site, give them US cash and say, "put this in my US account, here is my card".
I have a Japan Citibank account, and can't use the Aussie Citibank B&M services, except of course cirrus/ maestro cash withdrawals. So I doubt you can do so with your U.S account. But why not just call and ask?

danielh said:
I have a US CitiBank account I opened up recently when in the US last month.

I have some left over $US and I want to put it into my CitiBank account and was wondering if I could just rock up to the local AUS CitiBank bricks and mortar site, give them US cash and say, "put this in my US account, here is my card".

Regards
Daniel

I doubt it. It used to be that the australian owned NZ banks wouldnt even let you use their branches for any business on your NZ account (other than using ATM). Fortunately that is changing.

I got caught out once in the middle of nowhere, when the town's only ATM was broken and the bank branch refused to help :evil:

drron said:
I am sorry I cant help,but please tell me how you got an account in the USA.I have tried but without a social security number I might as well be Saddam Hussein.Please dont tell me you have an SS number,I am hoping there is a way.

I would also like to know if there is a way.

I just walked into the CitiBank in San Francisco and tried to cash in a US dividend cheque (via CitiGroup SSBarney) for some US shares I have. I didn't want to cash it in Australia because the ANZ charges AU$15 to do it.

They told me that SSB was not really related to CitiBank and told me that i would have to open up a bank account if I wanted to deposit the cheque in there.

They sent me to the accounts teller and I quickly told him that I was not a US citizen nor working in the USA and had no green card nor SS number.

He said "oh".

He said that he can still open up an account but he would normally do this for valued clients.

I said I could put in a few grand in today if he wanted and then told him who i work for. He said that my company has a avery good relationship with CitiBank and I do not need to put any minimum amounts in the account and that he can set one up immediately.

10 minutes later I had it set up.

So anyway, you can pretty much get a US bank account even if you are not a citizen, have a green card or SS number.

I did not bother to get a CC though.

Regards
Daniel

danielh said:
I just walked into the CitiBank in San Francisco and tried to cash in a US dividend cheque (via CitiGroup SSBarney) for some US shares I have. I didn't want to cash it in Australia because the ANZ charges AU$15 to do it.

They told me that SSB was not really related to CitiBank and told me that i would have to open up a bank account if I wanted to deposit the cheque in there.

They sent me to the accounts teller and I quickly told him that I was not a US citizen nor working in the USA and had no green card nor SS number.

He said "oh".

He said that he can still open up an account but he would normally do this for valued clients.

I said I could put in a few grand in today if he wanted and then told him who i work for. He said that my company has a avery good relationship with CitiBank and I do not need to put any minimum amounts in the account and that he can set one up immediately.

10 minutes later I had it set up.

So anyway, you can pretty much get a US bank account even if you are not a citizen, have a green card or SS number.

I did not bother to get a CC though.

Regards
Daniel

Hey Daniel.
I would be VERY careful with what they have told you and what the US Patriot Act requires for bank accounts here in the US.

I live in the US and opened a bank account with BOA without a SS number. After about 4 months I started to receive letters from Bank of America stating that if I didn't provide a W-9 form (With SS number or TIN), they would close the account in 30 days. Even after I provided them with the info, (my SS number is based on my Visa) so I received another letter 6 months later.

I have scanned the letters for you to have a look at.
http://www.guaramerch.com.au/file/boa1.jpg Letter 1
http://www.guaramerch.com.au/file/boa2.jpg Letter 2

I would be 100% sure that the information on your account, with your Australian address is correct, just in case they send you the letter. Would hate to see Citibank close your account and steal your money.....

Rob

Thanks Rob, the only things I have received from Citibank in the US are my statements which thankfully have come throug international mail without any problems.

I'll keep an eye on the account now. I was going to use it to sell my US shares into it and then use it to do my US share trading. Now I'm not so sure. :)

Regards
Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back