Gold Membership | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Gold Membership

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgalbraith

HI All,

I'm currently QC Silver and am 255 status credits away from getting gold. I need to do it by 31 Aug this year.

Is it worth getting the gold, i fly internationally occasionally. Whats the best way to do it by 31 Aug?

Kiwi Flyer

If you don't fly internationally much then not much additional benefit for QF Gold over QC Silver - certainly not compared to a likely cost of $2000 if you need to do a status run.

Do you have any travel between now and then that you could tweak to get more SCs out of? If you only needed to do a SC run for a much smaller amount to get to gold then it may become worthwhile.

JohnK

AFF Supporter
mgalbraith said:
I'm currently QC Silver and am 255 status credits away from getting gold. I need to do it by 31 Aug this year.

Is it worth getting the gold, i fly internationally occasionally. Whats the best way to do it by 31 Aug?
If you already have QC access then the cost to reach Gold in my opinion is not worth it.

Don't know where you live so I am guessing Sydney. To get 255 status credits would require a minimum of $2000 and that is doing 3 SYD-CBR-SYD business class runs giving 240 SC's and a return SYD-CBR/BNE/MEL for 20SC's. These are the best and least time consuming that I can think of in getting you to Gold.

acampbel

Yes .... $2000 and your valuable time just to get some virtual horatio from the FA when you board (plus admittedly a better spot in the queue for upgrades/waitlists/etc) seems a poor return.

As a QC member myself I see little point in even worrying about maintaining Silver. I've scraped through some years (with a bit of help from Qantas) and it would be disappointing to see Bronze on the boarding pass, but it's all a bit Onanistic isn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Yada Yada

Established Member
I agree with the others. The biggest benefit of being a Gold FF is the free QC access. Given that you already have paid QC access, there is little to gain. The rest of the benefits (in my experience) amount to nothing.

Mal

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Yada Yada said:
I agree with the others. The biggest benefit of being a Gold FF is the free QC access. Given that you already have paid QC access, there is little to gain. The rest of the benefits (in my experience) amount to nothing.
Unless you're flying with CX or other OneWorld airlines where Qantas Club isn't an acceptable lounge access card. The other benefit I really think is worthwhile from Sapphire is the Business check-in queue access. I've seen some horror check-in lines at airports...

Yada Yada

Established Member
Mal said:
Unless you're flying with CX or other OneWorld airlines where Qantas Club isn't an acceptable lounge access card. The other benefit I really think is worthwhile from Sapphire is the Business check-in queue access. I've seen some horror check-in lines at airports...
Mal - oops! I forgot about those two things because I always travel J for international.

Bypassing economy checkin queues anywhere is a worthwhile benefit.

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Mal said:
The other benefit I really think is worthwhile from Sapphire is the Business check-in queue access. I've seen some horror check-in lines at airports...
I think you get this benefit from QF Silver status as well, but yes thoroughly worth it.

I remember waiting in cattle class queue in BKK once for 2.5 hours. Both BA and QF use the same check-in counters and fly within 1/2 hour of each other. There must have been 250 people in that queue, it snaked it's way around almost to the checked luggage x-ray machine where there was another queue forming to join the check-in queue.

Mal

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
JohnK said:
I think you get this benefit from QF Silver status as well
Oops. yes indeed! I still think there are benefits to Gold which make it more worthwhile than silver - even for a Qantas Clubber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MasonRuzgas