Going to Paris on train get euro via Citi ATM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLANT

Established Member
Hi all,

Family member wants to catch the train to Paris.
Where do you suggest they get EURO from:
1. In Australia
2. In London?
3. Getting off the train Citibank atm nearby???
4. Attempt to pay everything on Citi debt card or 28 degrees card?

While it was a few years ago, when we arrived in Paris via train from London, all the ATMs at the train station were "out of order" and the signage indicated that was a long-term problem. This seemed to be specific orchestrated to force people to use over-the-counter currency exchange services. The only way to get to an ATM was to leave the station and walk a few blocks. Hopefully things are different now, but it certainly seemed like well designed scam to force people to pay currency conversion commissions at the station. So this is one place I would try to have at least enough Euro for my immediate needs (taxi etc) before arriving.

Why do you specifically want to use a Citibank ATM? Will your card work in other bank's ATMs?

Fees and charges on non Citi ATM using a Citi Debit card?

if i recall from a few months back at Gare du nord the only atms were from travelex so no matter what you got stung with their rate!

most places take credit cards in paris though for taxis, restaurants and shopping etc i dont recall having to take money out more than once in paris.

On some yes, but there are many non-Citi ATMs that you can use fee free. Go to the Citi web site and use their location finder and plug in Paris, Gare du Nord and see what comes up. You can use HSBC for sure.

To echo the comments above, you will be fine getting euros on arrival in Paris. I have a vague feeling there are ATMs in the RER/Metro section of the building, so if you can only find currency exchange in the eurostar/TGV section perhaps head to that side of the the station (turn left as you come off the eurostar platforms).

There are no fees for using a non-citi ATM with the citibank debit card.

On a recent trip to Europe, I found no material difference in FX between using a Citi ATM or any other kind, which surprised me. At first I was going out of my way to use a Citi, but then couldn't, used a local bank, then later looked up the transaction on line and was pleasantly surprised. Same for the rest of the trip.

Its amazing how many major train stations in Europe have no ATMs, or they are 'out of order'. Got caught twice, with long walks to get cash.

I always take some cash from here (eg. From UAE Exchange), and then hit up a bank ATM later on rather than try anything at Gare du Nord or even St Pancreas where others have observed the rates, fees can work against you.

On a recent trip to Europe, I found no material difference in FX between using a Citi ATM or any other kind, which surprised me.
That would be because the forex rate used in each transaction was the daily Visa rate. The only difference would be the ATM owners fee if there is one.

Just take a small amount of Euro with them, from Australia. Then they don't have to worry about trying to get cash on the first day or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back