Gifting Flights & Getting Points | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Gifting Flights & Getting Points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davidmurphy25

Hi There,
Sorry if i sound like a total noob here, but i am getting married later in the year, and as such im spending a shed load of cash flying down about 10-12 people from Ireland to Sydney for the ceremony (believe it or not its still cheaper than getting married in ireland!), Anyway i was wondering if theres any way i can get the points for all those return flights, the best i can come up with is to join Aquire (im self employed) and sign up all the folks/friends as aquire travellers on my account, but i think that might mean setting them all up as FFs .. and id still only get 30% of the points..
Sorry, maybe a silly question, but its a fair oul whack of points if i could pull it off
Regards and thanks,
Dave

Princess Fiona

Flights
My Map
They can do family transfers to your account if you set them up with FF accounts. That way you will get all of the points including the aquire points.
I transfer my kids points to my account on a fairly regular basis.

Davidmurphy25

Thanks Fiona, I think thats the way alright, i guess it wont work for friends, but at least i can get mams/dads and siblings.. :) thanks for the reply

Davidmurphy25

No unfortunatly, one uncle, but the rest will be friends, still that covers 8 of the 10-12 people, id be happy with that, and use aquire for the rest.. it'll make for a nice enough haul i guess : ) might help with the honeymoon!

JessicaTam

Flights
My Map
No unfortunatly, one uncle, but the rest will be friends, still that covers 8 of the 10-12 people, id be happy with that, and use aquire for the rest.. it'll make for a nice enough haul i guess : ) might help with the honeymoon!
Did you not notice the wink at the end of Princess Fiona's post?

zainman

AFF Supporter
If you used velocity you could also pool status credits and maybe get silver? :)

Mwenenzi

Established Member
Davidmurphy25 Welcome to AFF
With the name Murphy are you Irish? :D :cool:

Which airline are the clan likley to fly with? (Flight number and operating airline). You mention aquire, so does this mean QF or another OW airline? Other airlines may be cheaper. Do not spend more $$$ just to get some freq flyer miles. QF points are at the low end of value compared to some others. Do members of the clan have freq flyer accounts now? However one of the few advantages of QF is that they have family transfer at no cost. BA has family pooling, as does Virgin Australia. With an Irish address you can join the BA freq flyer program. You cannot join BA with an Aussie address.

Davidmurphy25

Yea thats an idea, im already velocity silver, but maybe it would bump me up a notch, really its about using the points to upgrade or book flights in the following few months for honeymoons or weekends away i guess..

Mwenenzi

Established Member
So look at Etihad.com A Virgin Australian velocity partner and major shareholder. EY fly from Dublin

No fuel surcharges with VA on awards. A lot of fuel surcharge $$ on QF awards

zig

AFF Supporter
Welcome to AFF, and congratulations on your upcoming wedding. I hope you are able to maximise the points opportunity here and use it to your benefit for the honeymoon.

Princess Fiona

Flights
My Map
Davidmurphy25 Welcome to AFF
With the name Murphy are you Irish? :D :cool:

Which airline are the clan likley to fly with? (Flight number and operating airline). You mention aquire, so does this mean QF or another OW airline? Other airlines may be cheaper. Do not spend more $$$ just to get some freq flyer miles. QF points are at the low end of value compared to some others. Do members of the clan have freq flyer accounts now? However one of the few advantages of QF is that they have family transfer at no cost. BA has family pooling, as does Virgin Australia. With an Irish address you can join the BA freq flyer program. You cannot join BA with an Aussie address.
Don't think the Velocity pooling will work for the OP as his guests are presumably all adults and they will all be flying together. You can only have one person over 18 pooling to your account. Also technically only those resident in South Pacific can join VFF.

I still think going with QFF perhaps on a QF codeshare on EK DUB-DXB-SYD would be the best way of securing points if the price was competitive.
IIRC DUB was a pretty cheap destination to fly from on QF code a little while ago. I don't know if this is still the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GypsyTears