from Singapore to the UK | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

from Singapore to the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigjobs

Active Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2005
Messages
795
a friend of mine (a real friend :wink: ) is looking to get from Australia to the UK toward the end of March. it's around the time the Commonwealth Games finish.

he is a Platinum FF with QF and would like to do it on points. at this stage he can only get to Singapore on points, which is ok.

we are wondering what some of the more favourable options are for travelling to the UK from Singapore. i get the impression there are many different ways to choose from in terms of airlines, routing etc.

i would like to know if anyone has a preferred routing, airline, or way of doing this trip. also what would be some web sites that we could check so that he can have a hunt around for the best possible deal?

Thanks in advance to all those who share their ideas.

Safe travels.
 

markis10

Veteran Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2004
Messages
30,091
QF have some good deals to Europe ex Sin, $S998 to London which is about $800 AUD return, might be an option with the use of points to try for an upgrade, alternatively have a look at HKG routing, there is more capacity on the route now from HKG to London with BA.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
I just looked around the end of march and found no problem finding availability in economy class to London on 21,22,23 of March.

Also, do give QFF a call and see if there are award seats available on BA WT+. 25% more points than economy, but worth it imo. I don't think that the QF award booking site shows these so do need to call to check availability

othewise the cheapest QF/BA fare is the V class fare ( which has to be issued in Singapore ) at AUD831 plus taxes and fuel fines.

Cheaper still is AY, starting at AUD733 +taxes in Q class but this does involve going from SIN to HEL and then onto LHR

Dave
 

bigjobs

Active Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2005
Messages
795
Thank you. i have passed this info on and my mate is grateful.
 

BlacKnox

Active Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2005
Messages
732
Dave Noble said:
Cheaper still is AY, starting at AUD733 +taxes in Q class but this does involve going from SIN to HEL and then onto LHR
Was in HEL last July and can recommend it as a stop-over. The airport is easy to navigate and reasonably close to the city. The $100 saved could go towards a hotel for the night (the Hilton Strand is fine).

www.zuji.com.sg lists many options. Also he/ she can look at http://www.qantas.com.au/regions/dyn/home/qualifier-region-sg for latest specials ex. SIN, and could subscribe to the QF Singapore newsletter for future promotion alerts.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,811
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
BlacKnox said:
Was in HEL last July and can recommend it as a stop-over. The airport is easy to navigate and reasonably close to the city. The $100 saved could go towards a hotel for the night (the Hilton Strand is fine).
HEL in June is a nice place for a stopover. Stay somewhere down town (I have stayed at the Scandic Grand Marina (Hilton chain)) and just wander around for a while to stretch the legs after a long flight. The long twilight and warm evenings make for a pleasent experience sitting at a street-side cafe for a few quiet beers watching the Scandanavian world pass by.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
The OP is looking at late March though, and having been to HEL in mid-April I can confirm it is still winter then (although we were lucky enough to have warm days, nights still well below freezing and plenty of snow and ice on the ground).
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
NM said:
BlacKnox said:
Was in HEL last July and can recommend it as a stop-over. The airport is easy to navigate and reasonably close to the city. The $100 saved could go towards a hotel for the night (the Hilton Strand is fine).
HEL in June is a nice place for a stopover. Stay somewhere down town (I have stayed at the Scandic Grand Marina (Hilton chain)) and just wander around for a while to stretch the legs after a long flight. The long twilight and warm evenings make for a pleasent experience sitting at a street-side cafe for a few quiet beers watching the Scandanavian world pass by.
Quiet being the operative word. Very expensive to drink over there.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,811
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Kiwi Flyer said:
Quiet being the operative word. Very expensive to drink over there.
But you have to spend the airfare savings somewhere :D .
 

clifford

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jul 6, 2004
Messages
1,780
Kiwi Flyer said:
The OP is looking at late March though, and having been to HEL in mid-April I can confirm it is still winter then (although we were lucky enough to have warm days, nights still well below freezing and plenty of snow and ice on the ground).
Sounds like Canberra.

But seriously.

Just have a look at www.zuji.com.sg. They will deliver your tickets to your door.

Also, have a look at flights out of KUL. They tend to be a bit cheaper (you can fly JHB-KUL for a few dollars on AK).

If it's too much, just ignore it.

:)
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,872
Kiwi Flyer said:
...having been to HEL in mid-April I can confirm it is still winter then (although we were lucky enough to have warm days, nights still well below freezing and plenty of snow and ice on the ground).
So HEL really can freeze over? :eek:
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,811
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Yada Yada said:
So HEL really can freeze over? :eek:
Regularly ... which is why I only visit between June and August 8) . Very nice place that time of the year. And a day-trip to Tallinn is well worth the ferry fare.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
NM said:
Yada Yada said:
So HEL really can freeze over? :eek:
Regularly ... which is why I only visit between June and August 8) . Very nice place that time of the year. And a day-trip to Tallinn is well worth the ferry fare.
ahhh the finn booze cruise
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,811
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Kiwi Flyer said:
ahhh the finn booze cruise
That it be. Now who was saying booze is expensive in HEL? If you have the time, the DF shopping onboard the ferry can be good value. Many locals pay the ferry fare just for the DF shopping. They don't even leave the ferry terminal at Tallinn, just get the next boat back.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
Yup - seen pax come off the ferry all p!ssed and arms laden with booze. Used to be that way also across English Channel until the EU changed duty free rules.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,811
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Kiwi Flyer said:
Yup - seen pax come off the ferry all p!ssed and arms laden with booze. Used to be that way also across English Channel until the EU changed duty free rules.
Oops, were we on the same boat?
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,811
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Kiwi Flyer said:
Dunno - to Tallinn or Cherbourg or whatsitsplace in France or ...?
Definitely Tallinn ...
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,270
Love reading the banter between you two. :D

A pity it has nothing to do with getting from SIN to the UK unless you want to go through HEL and do a few liquor runs to Tallinn. :oops:
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,453
JohnK said:
Love reading the banter between you two. :D

A pity it has nothing to do with getting from SIN to the UK unless you want to go through HEL and do a few liquor runs to Tallinn. :oops:
You mean you dont go via Tallinn to get to the UK? :shock: I am sure you could pick up several bottles of duty free :wink:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

  • Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you’re new to the world of frequent flyer points – or moving to a new country – it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the con ...
  • Travel Insurance – AIR016
    Sat, 27 Jul 2019 07:34:12 AEST
      They say that if you can’t afford travel insurance, you can’t afford to travel! In this episode, Matt chats to James Green about the importance of travel insurance, and ...
  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...

Community Statistics

Threads
82,479
Messages
1,910,281
Members
50,265
Latest member
Kingsr01
Top