Free travel insurance - Qantas Amex Premium Card - good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TahoeSkier

Qantas
Bronze
Hi all

My sister is traveling to Europe in June, and is looking to utilise the free travel insurance offered on her above card.

Obviously we will read the PDS carefully, but in the meantime, if anyone has advice on the quality of the Amex free insurance that would be great. Noteworthy exclusions? Any good perks?

This will be a pretty 'basic' holiday with no action sports/risky activities and so on.

All feedback much appreciated.
Cheers

Hi all

My sister is traveling to Europe in June, and is looking to utilise the free travel insurance offered on her above card.

Obviously we will read the PDS carefully, but in the meantime, if anyone has advice on the quality of the Amex free insurance that would be great. Noteworthy exclusions? Any good perks?

This will be a pretty 'basic' holiday with no action sports/risky activities and so on.

All feedback much appreciated.
Cheers

In comparing the Amex PDS' which are all very similar, I generally found the Bankwest and CBA ones at the Time to be slightly more generous - I.e. lower excesses, higher payouts.

Pay particular attention to dental coverage, coverage following an assault, rental car insurance excess limits.

Otherwise they are generally quite similar. Also keep an eye out for pre existing conditions exclusions.

If she is just going for say a 3 week holiday, I'd pay the $200 and have it with an insurance company, in the scheme of an overseas holiday it's not much.

I would not personally rely on any insurance policy with a capped Medical & hospital cover such as that listed in the AMEX insurance T&Cs. Being in the medical field, I know that some aeromedical evacuations can be quite costly and if you ended up in a hospital that charges a lot prior to evacuation, there is a small potential for expenses to exceed the limit set out by the insurance company. For me, the ANZ QANTAS Platinum card insurance suits me but I also spend a bit on my BankWest QANTAS World as well when going overseas and I will usually meet the condition to activate cover on both cards.

I compared all bank credit card travel insurances recently. Amex travel insurance was the worst out of all of card insurances and had hard to get qualification requirements.
If you want free then go with CBA Card insurance (if your sister had a CBA credit card) no prerequisites. While it's not the best out of the card insurance, it is free and easy. Just go to CBA website and register for the free insurance. Otherwise if your sister has other bank credit cards just read their insurance requirements and go with them. Ie anz or Westpac. If she had more then 1 then try to qualify for a few of the credit card insurances, that way there will typically be one who will cover most situations.

I was looking at this policy last week and some of the wording made me feel its easier just to pay $200 and be covered with with an insurance company separately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back