Free Amex flight now with Virgin Blue [ONLY] effective Oct 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpc

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Gold
Just got a letter from AMEX informing that effective Oct 1, the free AMEX flight will be with Virgin Blue instead of Qantas. If you book before Oct 1 for a flight post Oct 1, you can still redeem for a QF flight.

AMEX are claiming it is an enhancement as you can have more city choices now eg from Sydney, you can fly to the following cities return with 23 kg luggage included: Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Albury, Canberra, Hobart, Launceston, Port Macquarie, Coffs Harbour, Ballina, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Marroochydore, Harvey Bay, Rockhampton, Mackay, Hamilton Island, Townsville and Cairns; doesn't really say what flight availability would be like (except the usual spiel about public and school holidays) and which class it books into; clearly states that no velocity pts would be earnt but then again it said the same thing for the QF flight;). I guess you will get most bang for buck with a return flight from Sydney to Perth, followed by Cairns:idea:

Oh man....not like.....much.

It's not that I have a problem with DJ per se, but it would have been nice to have a choice. Not to mention that one gets more "value" from a QF flight as they can be more expensive than a DJ flight on the same sector. A silly logic in some ways, I realise, but that is it. At least the flight is like a Blue Saver (or GO! Fare) with baggage. It probably would attract no points since it's a bit hard to put a $ value on a free ticket (and $0 x 5 pts/$ is still 0 points); cf. QF points and SCs are based on BIS miles.

It does seem like more options for flying between cities, though (i.e. more choices). You seem to mention that you can start in one city and end up in another (open jaw), so as long as it complies with the table requirements. It doesn't have to be a straightforward return between two cities - is that it? (Was this always the rule? I always thought you could only have a return flight, not open jaw).

It has me thinking whether the reduced fee for my co-brand card is worth it, or whether I should revert to a Gold co-brand card (which has no fee but gives up this benefit along with Travel Insurance and a points earning power of 1/$ rather than 1.5/$).

Finally, kpc you might want to get the title changed to show "Oct" rather than "Oot", unless we've developed a 13th month that I'm not aware of (I know there's a "Smarch" from The Simpsons :D :mrgreen: :p, or you were trying to post that last part with a Scottish accent)

I assume that this does not apply to QF Ultimate Amex!

If true, me = books flight by Sept 30, then waves bye-bye to Amex Plat :evil::evil::evil:

Bad - Bad Amex --- bye bye Plat charge card .... :evil:
... It probably would attract no points since it's a bit hard to put a $ value on a free ticket (and $0 x 5 pts/$ is still 0 points); cf. QF points and SCs are based on BIS miles. ...
Of course, the QF flights (O class) ostensibly were not to earn points/SC's either.

Well I wont be using this offer and will write to Amex to complain.

I should probably qualify that I haven't yet received a letter or postcard notifying me of this new change.

I guess I will get the news within the next fortnight.

It probably would attract no points since it's a bit hard to put a $ value on a free ticket (and $0 x 5 pts/$ is still 0 points); cf. QF points and SCs are based on BIS miles.

It's hardly a free flight. Amex have been paying Qantas good money for those flights.

Come to think of it, it actually makes some sense for them to move to DJ.

Afterall, for anyone wants a QF "free flight", they can go to QF Ultimate Amex. Currently Amex membership rewards credits everything else apart from QF. Therefore in theory, it makes sense for them to move to DJ for free flights, as well as actually having more destination to choose from (esp SYD-PER) rather than a few short flights to MEL/ADL/BNE.

Of course, most people in AFF are QF fans thus they won't be happy with this. But I actually think most other people outside AFF arena would be happier with more destination to choose from.

Of course, most people in AFF are QF fans thus they won't be happy with this. But I actually think most other people outside AFF arena would be happier with more destination to choose from.

That is true, mainly because those of us outside AFF are not FF-centric or angled towards a particular carrier. So makes some sense there and from Amex's holistic perspective, probably is not a bad decision.

Afterall, for anyone wants a QF "free flight", they can go to QF Ultimate Amex.

There are no co-branded Ultimate Amex cards AFAICT. Are the fees higher than a Plat card (otherwise apart from MR options, why am I stuck on a Plat)? May be silly question, but does using QF Ultimate Amex constrain you to opt into direct sweep?

Currently Amex membership rewards credits everything else apart from QF. Therefore in theory, it makes sense for them to move to DJ for free flights, as well as actually having more destination to choose from (esp SYD-PER) rather than a few short flights to MEL/ADL/BNE.

I guess I can understand that logic, although with all Amex cards you still have the option of opting into QF Direct rather than MR.

I'm reasonably happy with this change, and looking forward to seeing the improved choice of destinations from Perth.

Probably true.

However it affect me personally as I have found that it's generally better to travel either with a carrier you have status with or travel in a cabin that "is not the lowest class".

I have status with QF/oneworld and NZ/StarAlliance and these flights would book into basic fares aside from DJ being all WHY currently*.

None of that applies here with DJ for me.:evil:

(If they do get a business cabin it's still no good as.)

I'm dreaming, but maybe it will be in their new Business Class :mrgreen:

Am happy with the increased number of destinations. And you get access to the Blue Lounge with the Priority Pass, so whilst I'd prefer QF, I think I'll manage.

WT

No letter for me as yet... I might change and redeem it for a hotel night instead.

Even though they said you don't get FF points and SC's for the flight, I always did!

There are no co-branded Ultimate Amex cards AFAICT. Are the fees higher than a Plat card (otherwise apart from MR options, why am I stuck on a Plat)? May be silly question, but does using QF Ultimate Amex constrain you to opt into direct sweep?

QF Ultimate Amex annual fee is $450, includes a "free flight" when you make a QF purchase. So annual fee is steep. The only reason I signed up this year is for the 50K bonus sign on offer. And yes, you are constrained to earn points on QF, that's it.

Even with all the changes in the Plat Amex card, I actually think it is an "improvement" given that I can actually go to more places instead of always going to BNE/MEL/ADL. If they have 50K sign on bonus I will seriously think about it.

This is all really v entertaining for me :D

I have status with QF/oneworld and NZ/StarAlliance and these flights would book into basic fares aside from DJ being all WHY currently*.

serfty, as a matter of interest - would your tune change if the proposed JV between DJ and NZ goes ahead and you ended up with elite bennies on DJ due to your NZ status?

serfty, as a matter of interest - would your tune change if the proposed JV between DJ and NZ goes ahead and you ended up with elite bennies on DJ due to your NZ status?

I'd imagine it'd be a more positive spin. After all, that's a mini-version (a microcosm, if you will) of DJ joining an alliance.

QF Ultimate Amex annual fee is $450, includes a "free flight" when you make a QF purchase. So annual fee is steep. The only reason I signed up this year is for the 50K bonus sign on offer. And yes, you are constrained to earn points on QF, that's it.

This fee is easily negotiable down to $250. I actually got an offer in around December last year offering to move me from the Plat CC to an Ultimate with a $250 annual fee for life. I took this up as I was paying $395 on the platinum card.

Unfortunately I only got the 5000+2500 bonus, but considering all I did on the plat CC was do bulk xfers to QF, the deal worked out well to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Currently Active Users

Back