Flybuys subscription service trial: "Flybuys Max" | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Flybuys subscription service trial: "Flybuys Max"

gusty

SMH reporting on the 'quiet rollout' of a subscription model for Flybuys. $10 per month or $99 a year.

Members receive:
  • 5% discount on all fresh produce (including meat), or 10 points per dollar instead of 1 on fresh produce (member's choice)
  • 10 points per dollar on fuel at Coles Express service stations (maximum 250 litres a week)
  • Free delivery on online orders over $50
  • Unlimited access to streaming service MuviNow
  • Discounted cinema/theme park tickets
  • Discounts on booking through the flybuys travel portal
Appears the trial is only open to Coles employees as well as their family and friends, but has the intention to role out nationally once the trial has been completed.

SMH report: Free delivery, cheaper groceries: Coles trials $10-a-month loyalty club

Last edited:

Cool Cat Phil

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Sounds like quiet an appealing model
For Flybys should they roll this idea out further. It would be quiet easy to recoup the $10 per month in extra points and discounts.

rainbowgirl

AFF Supporter
If Coles Express brought their base petrol price down to the level of Woolworths/Caltex and the other majors, the scheme would make their pricing equivalent to the Woolworths petrol deal using 5% discounted gift cards.

hydrabyss

Flights
My Map
Free delivery on $50 online shops would make the transition to no more single use bags that mutch easier.

theblank

Established Member
  • 10 points per dollar on fuel at Coles Express service stations (maximum 250 litres a week)
If I remember correctly 20,000 flybuys = 8700 VFF.
so $50 fuel a week = 11310 VFF pa for which cost me $99 to earn.

I dont buy any of the other stuff, so the deal wont work for me, but for most people I guess they will pick up about 20k VFF a year at cost of $99

rainbowgirl

AFF Supporter
I'm wondering how quickly the extra points (10x) for fresh produce would credit. If it credits within a few days the points option might be better than the 5% discount option. The discount option would make it harder to qualify for the weekly targeted offer targets. I like getting discounts upfront but not when it makes it harder to take up other offers. I have to figure out how this new scheme would save me more than $8.25 per month, otherwise it isn't worth paying money for me.

AisleSeat

Flights
My Map
Interesting that it's 10 points/$ on fuel rather than 10 points/L.

If that is the case, I imagine you could then add on the 8 points/L docket offer. Going by my last fill up, I'd be looking at 1000+ points per visit.

Azure

Given the price of coles express is already higher than Caltex, given the 10x points only apply to fresh produce in Coles. I'd stick with 5% cashrewards with woolies. Plus, $10 monthly fee, and if you buy $100 products you get 100 woolies points for $95, but for coles you get 100 points for $100.

Human

This is certainly appealing if you combine it with the 5% discount for Coles gift cards that you can get from lots of different places (yes, you can get 5% discount on Woolies cards as well). For someone with a family who shops at Coles and gets their petrol from Coles Express, this is a no-brainer. I'll be in as soon as I get the chance.

odysseus

Can't see the value in this myself. But I can see the attraction to Coles - more revenue PLUS makes customers more loyal since they invest in the product (so want to get their money's worth/maximise benefits).

Xanthe

Flights
My Map
The bulk of most people's supermarket purchases is NOT "fresh produce" ie fresh meat and vegetables/fruit - Fresh meat/fruit/veg probably equates to about 10% of the shopping trolley. If they offered a blanket x10 points on all supermarket groceries then it would start to add up.

Jurahn

AFF Supporter
Can't see the value in this myself. But I can see the attraction to Coles - more revenue PLUS makes customers more loyal since they invest in the product (so want to get their money's worth/maximise benefits).
Not much value in this for me either now that we're living in Tasmania - our nearest Coles store is 20km away (and is a much smaller store than the huge Woolworths which is about 8 minutes from home) and I now shop there maybe once a month. The nearest Coles Express is 30km away and they're usually far more expensive (especially for premium fuel) than most other fuel retailers here anyway.

serfty

Flights
My Map
Just received an email offering a two month free trial to "Flybuys Max".

Selected members have until Tuesday, 2 October 2018 to sign-up for the trial unless the cap is reached prior to this date. Internet connection, a valid flybuys account and acceptance of the flybuys max Terms & Conditions are required to participate in the trial. The purpose of this trial is to give a select group of flybuys members an opportunity to try out flybuys max and give feedback (as required). This trial, which is offered to you by flybuys, entitles you and all cardholders on your account access to the flybuys max Service for a period of two (2) months from the moment that you activate the trial period by submitting your payment details (the “Free Trial Period”). By submitting your payment details, you accept the 2-Months Trial Offer and (i) consent to us using your payment details, (ii) acknowledge and agree to flybuys and flybuys max Terms and Conditions of Use. If you decide that you do not want to become a paying user of the flybuys max subscription upon the lapse of the Free Trial Period, you have to terminate your subscription by the end of the Free Trial Period. You may only use this Free Trial Offer once. flybuys reserves the right, in its absolute discretion, to withdraw or to modify this Free Trial Offer at any time without prior notice and with no liability.
Even with that, I'm considering not to bother. We have given up on delivered groceries, the nearest Shell is further away that 10 other servo's and the savings from 'fresh' produce would be borderline.

Last edited:

rainbowgirl

AFF Supporter
I'm considering taking up the 2 months free trial offer and cancelling before they charge my card. Of course, I'd have to find the terms and conditions first. The link in my email just takes me to my account rather than more information on the Max service.

serfty

Flights
My Map
The link in my email just takes me to my account rather than more information on the Max service.
I saw the same - there is a log in screen showing briefly but it was failing then refreshing to the standard log in.

However, looking now it appears to be working.

CPMaverick

Flights
My Map
The bulk of most people's supermarket purchases is NOT "fresh produce" ie fresh meat and vegetables/fruit - Fresh meat/fruit/veg probably equates to about 10% of the shopping trolley. If they offered a blanket x10 points on all supermarket groceries then it would start to add up.
I suspect they don't want to put bonus offers on non-perishables. Someone could join for a month (or use the free trial) and buy 6 months worth of groceries, then quit the program. By restricting it to fuel and perishable food items, they get more consistency in subscriptions.

AFF on Air Podcast

• The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alwa