Florida woman, 78, busted for not declaring $41k cash on departure | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Florida woman, 78, busted for not declaring $41k cash on departure

Status
Not open for further replies.

deejo77

I know the rules are there to stop money laundering, tax evasion ect but what would she have gotten if she had just declared it and told the truth? example being made of her?

Foreigner

Established Member
In the US one needs to declare cash over $10k, on arrival as well as on departure. 'Cash' includes bank cheques. I've done that with a legit reason. Form has to be filled out. Over.

Sent from AFF Mobile Edition

Hvr

Enthusiast
Qantas
Platinum
She knew she was doing the wrong thing and lied multiple times when she has the opportunity to come clean.

If she doesn't have understand the basic requirement to abide by the law at 78 then she never will.

Mal

Enthusiast
Flights
My Map
Yep. Little sympathy from me. She knew the rules (and allegedly admitted she did), and knew what she was doing was illegal.

In Australia it is likely the money wouldn't be forfeited - and it is possible she will be able to keep it.

Regardless of how much you 'trust' border security, 'wiring of money' and many other things, this does not protect you if you break the law.

opusman

Worth pointing out that in Australia and USA it's not actually illegal to take more than $10K with you, you just need to declare it.

JohnK

Veteran Member
She knew she was doing the wrong thing and lied multiple times when she has the opportunity to come clean.

If she doesn't have understand the basic requirement to abide by the law at 78 then she never will.
People do it all the time.

I know someone who brought ~AUD60,000 back into the country. In shoes, socks, sewn into jacket pockets etc. And not just once.

whatmeworry

Anybody notice the declaration limits have never gone up? (Well at least not for a while)

Same with Duty free limits.

Now with contactless delivery, shop online to get drinks delivered to your door or pick up in-store in 30 minutes. Lowest Liquor Price Guarantee. Biggest Range.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prome03