FJ J saver to the USA booking advice

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by turnip666, May 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. turnip666

turnip666 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Brisbane
    I am planning a trip to the US on FJ next month in a J saver, out of SYD or BNE.

To take advantage of the cheaper price if booked out of NAN, I need to book separate tickets.....SYD-NAN rtn, then NAN- LAX rtn.

There are decent connections with 3 hour layovers or earlier flights with about 18 hours.

Is there a way to link the tickets/ booking so that any delays/ flight cancellations don't result in a loss of onward legs?

My last experience on FJ resulted in a cancelled flight and the rebooked one delayed 4 hours.

TIA!

2. MEL_Traveller

MEL_Traveller Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2005
    Melbourne, AU
    for the absolute best price you should actually buy three tickets: SYD-NAN one way, NAN-LAX return, then NAN-SYD one way. This means the last sector will also be priced in FJ dollars.

You can ask FJ to link the itineraries with a note, but that's about it I think.

i had always thought you could through check your bags from the Australian departure point, but a friend of mine did one of these tickets last year and was told they had to claim their bags and recheck in NAN. with the three hour layover however they said the process was fairly quick and provided something to do!

3. turnip666

turnip666 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Brisbane
    Good idea on the last leg....as an aside if I am booked on FJ I can still access the FL in SYD (as a WP)?

4. Austff

Austff Member

Jun 8, 2012
    sydney
    Interested to hear your experience , my wife & I are doing same in August .

5. turnip666

turnip666 Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Brisbane
    I plan to get in before the program changes and reduced partner earnings.

Might be time for a trip report!

6. Isochronous

Isochronous Established Member

Dec 18, 2009
    1A
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I flew MEL-SYD-NAN-LAX-AUS a year ago and the luggage went all the way through without re-checking.

7. eric2011

eric2011 Established Member

Feb 5, 2011
    Brisbane - Northside
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map

8. Austff

Austff Member

Jun 8, 2012
    sydney
    Did you get the same checked baggage allowance for all flights ? .
    I have had conflicting advise ,per their policy for our J flights , NAN-LAX-NAN is 60kg allowance , NAN-SYD is 30kg allowance , meaning we would have to pay extra baggage fees on last segment .But when I have spoken to a rep they say I will get 60kg for both itineraries , confused .

9. eric2011

eric2011 Established Member

Feb 5, 2011
    Brisbane - Northside
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I have booked the same flights for travel later this year and I have been told I can take 40kg BNE-NAN and 3x32Kg NAN-LAX