Famous people seen (or even met) whilst flying or lounging

I was never into AFL but one day flying QF from MEL to BNE I sat beside a former player. A really nice fellow and we chatted throughout the flight. So I then knew who I would barrack for. First Hawthorn and later after he changed jobs the Lions. Some probably know who he is.

I was never into AFL but one day flying QF from MEL to BNE I sat beside a former player. A really nice fellow and we chatted throughout the flight. So I then knew who I would barrack for. First Hawthorn and later after he changed jobs the Lions. Some probably know who he is.
During my CX flight from HKG to Aus I was randomly assigned a premium seat next a person from my apartment complex (funny thing we both have no status however were seated in the row behind emergency row which would have costed between $60-150 for seat selection; restricted fare no freedom to choose seats at T-48). Going back to Aus from two separate city of origins even but ended up transferring via HK. Wasn't until midflight that we knew we were neighbours (of course ended up Uber-sharing back to the complex). Funny thing is he was talking to the person on his right (I was on his left) and I have a feeling we won't vibe well so I kept silent and watched my movies (which I usually do or put on earpods). Normally I never talk to seat-mates out of social norm but for some reason I asked him where he was from and where he was going (normally wouldn't do this but curious about his background based on his discussions with the person beside him) and discovered we actually live in the same complex (and occasionally bumped into each other previously but forgot until we figured out that we live in the same place). Nowadays I always bump into him at our complex although we never organised any events because we are both busy even though we made plans to catch up on the weekends but will still greet each other from time to time while taking the elevator🤣🤣

Last edited:
Hodge or Birchall?

It’s a long time ago but he was a Hawthorn great and was on his way to talk about the Brisbane coaching job so the young fellows mightn’t know Leigh Matthews.
The ultimate no.3!! Wasn't sure of the timeframe you were referring to but I'm old enough to remember Lethal playing!

Robert Irwin at BNE premium security, then lounge and same flight to Sydney yesterday.

My Teen’s first time seeing someone famous at the airport. She approached him in the lounge, apologised for disturbing him (he was walking to the dining area after already sitting down somewhere), had a little chat and asked him for a selfie. He kindly obliged.

Robert Irwin at BNE premium security, then lounge and same flight to Sydney yesterday.

My Teen’s first time seeing someone famous at the airport. She approached him in the lounge, apologised for disturbing him (he was walking to the dining area after already sitting down somewhere), had a little chat and asked him for a selfie. He kindly obliged.
Not surprised - seems genuinely nice — too rare these days..

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

I thought I had another post on here but must have put it on my TR.
On Monday on QF 820 Sir Peter Cosgrove was a row in front of me. Row 1.

So now we are at DRW waiting for SQ check in to open. I n walks Sir Peter and says looks as though we are on the same flight back. So I said we are off to Singapore and he replies beautiful have a great time and I gave him my best wishes.

A delightful fellow.

I thought I had another post on here but must have put it on my TR.
On Monday on QF 820 Sir Peter Cosgrove was a row in front of me. Row 1.

So now we are at DRW waiting for SQ check in to open. I n walks Sir Peter and says looks as though we are on the same flight back. So I said we are off to Singapore and he replies beautiful have a great time and I gave him my best wishes.

A delightful fellow.
This is definitely an AUSTRALIAN frequent flier forum, but then I would struggle to remember the past Governor Generals of New Zealand- as if they had any impact on what goes on. Well done!

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back