eSims, what is your experience.

I'll be in Portugal for a week, Lyca pt has 50gb + unlimited local calls €4/mth esim. And some EU roaming AFTER activing in pt. Seems too cheap.
Anyone used them, any issues cancelling with no ongoing commitment?
I used Lyca Mobile France in France in May 2025 on a deal like this and it worked fine. Setup instructions (sms) came in French & English so it was fairly easy. In France, had to register sim online (provide passport details etc.) so not sure if that was an EU requirement or particular to France Lyca mobile.
 
Something I’ve noticed with two eSIMs now: they often work in more places than advertised! 👍
My current JamboSim I’m using was chosen as it offered good coverage in South America, including Bolivia. It didn’t cover Uruguay so I have a second (Orange FR) eSIM which I was going to activate for the second half of the trip.

Well I’m posting this from Uruguay and haven’t swapped eSIM yet, so this JamboSim DOES have access here. I’m currently roaming data from the Tigo network.

I’ve had his occur elsewhere where an eSIM actually does have more access than advertised: I think it was in the Caribbean.
 
Elevate your business spending to first-class rewards! Sign up today with code AFF10 and process over $10,000 in business expenses within your first 30 days to unlock 10,000 Bonus PayRewards Points.
Join 30,000+ savvy business owners who:

✅ Pay suppliers who don’t accept Amex
✅ Max out credit card rewards—even on government payments
✅ Earn & transfer PayRewards Points to 10+ airline & hotel partners

Start earning today!
- Pay suppliers who don’t take Amex
- Max out credit card rewards—even on government payments
- Earn & Transfer PayRewards Points to 8+ top airline & hotel partners

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Something I’ve noticed with two eSIMs now: they often work in more places than advertised! 👍
My current JamboSim I’m using was chosen as it offered good coverage in South America, including Bolivia. It didn’t cover Uruguay so I have a second (Orange FR) eSIM which I was going to activate for the second half of the trip.

Well I’m posting this from Uruguay and haven’t swapped eSIM yet, so this JamboSim DOES have access here. I’m currently roaming data from the Tigo network.

I’ve had his occur elsewhere where an eSIM actually does have more access than advertised: I think it was in the Caribbean.
Well, you’re doing better than us when we went to Uruguay ~2yrs ago.

I had a Flexiroam SAm plan that included Uruguay when I bought it during a sale but by the time we landed, it had been removed! WTF!

Compounding that, Optus DIDN’T roam AT ALL! Not even receiving SMS…😳. It was on their PAYG countries, but if you’re on the $5 daily roaming plan, no roaming in Uruguay…🤷‍♂️….
 

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back
Top