eSims, what is your experience.

Yes indeed, and seems odd that Telstra would offer better prices to pre-paid customers. But in looking at the plans seems one solution would be to migrate the post-paid Telstra number to an eSim (assuming you have not already) and have a "casual" pre-paid Sim ($35 for 6 months) in order to take advantage of the pre-paid roaming?
As mentioned earlier, if the Telstra network coverage was important but looking for better value roaming, I’d suggest looking at Belong (Telstra’s LCC). Their monthly plan plus roaming bundles would be much better than a mainline plan for the regular traveller.
Would have the advantage of having calls and texts overseas which many (most?) eSims don't - they are usually data only.
The 3rd party data eSIMs are usually data only (some, like Airalo do provide calls/txt for certain countries).

But you can also switch your regular Telco service to eSIM. Works exactly the same as a physical SIM. Plus, it’s much easier to get back online if you lose your phone OS!

I'm on Boost so forward my calls to a local Sydney VOIP number which costs me 35c per month. Then I tend to use Airalo, Flexiroam, Ubigi, whichever is the cheapest for my destination.

This looked like a great deal to me to avoid the hassle of an eSim but I have Telstra Postpaid or "Upfront" or whatever it's called now. It looks like you can't add this pack to a postpaid account and are stuck with the $10/day roaming, i.e. $140 for 14 days! What a rort.
eSims are no hassle to a dinosaur like me.

As mentioned earlier, if the Telstra network coverage was important but looking for better value roaming, I’d suggest looking at Belong (Telstra’s LCC). Their monthly plan plus roaming bundles would be much better than a mainline plan for the regular traveller.
Belong doesn't use the full Telstra network. Only Telstra and Boost do.

I use a Telstra eSIM and my phone was lost in Bali last week. So I thought great, this will be easy to get back up and running so in Singapore this week I picked up a new iPhone only to find that Telstra had seemingly not tested an overseas user restoring a sim, because the my Telstra app firstly wasn’t able to be used because I needed to get a code smsed to me to login and even when I got Telstra to change the contact number to my wife’s number, the process didn’t work and an error occurred. They actually fixed the problem now so 4 days later I’m up and running. But with a traditional sim I’d have to wait til I got home to replace it…

Belong doesn't use the full Telstra network. Only Telstra and Boost do.
They cap 5G speed (similar to amaysim on Optus) but in the context of roaming, Boost is also more expensive than others mentioned above or 3rd party eSIM providers - if data is your primary interest.

eSims are no hassle to a dinosaur like me.
I consider myself a digital native and have no trouble with this sort of thing normally but had a really bad experience trying to buy a visitor a prepaid eSim from Boost, so I've been treading carefully. I did use a retail-purchased AT&T eSIM on my last USA visit, now I've just tried "Saily" as suggested here, all installed, will see if it works when I land :)

Also I do like the fact that when roaming with my primary AU SIM, instead of getting a local SIM, I can make outgoing calls from the AU number. But I can still do this on WiFi so it's not really a must-have.

They cap 5G speed (similar to amaysim on Optus) but in the context of roaming, Boost is also more expensive than others mentioned above or 3rd party eSIM providers - if data is your primary interest.
I'm specifically referring to network coverage within Australia. You're right about the speed cap (although Boost and Telstra Prepaid also cap speeds).

I use a Telstra eSIM and my phone was lost in Bali last week. So I thought great, this will be easy to get back up and running so in Singapore this week I picked up a new iPhone only to find that Telstra had seemingly not tested an overseas user restoring a sim, because the my Telstra app firstly wasn’t able to be used because I needed to get a code smsed to me to login and even when I got Telstra to change the contact number to my wife’s number, the process didn’t work and an error occurred. They actually fixed the problem now so 4 days later I’m up and running. But with a traditional sim I’d have to wait til I got home to replace it…
Interesting. I'm pretty sure last time I did it the Telstra app let me verify with email instead of SMS

Got an email with a good deal from Flexiroam for discounts on their regional data plans.

Offer is valid for 48 hours only!

Use Promo Code: RDP25
This offer provides a 25% discount on 3GB+ Regional Data Roaming Plans including Unlimited Regional Data Roaming Plans.

You can use this offer for Europe, Latin America, Middle East & North Africa, North America, Asia, Caribbean and Africas Regional Data Plans.

Purchase now, Enjoy Later!*

*Activate your product anytime within the next 3 months.

Got an email with a good deal from Flexiroam for discounts on their regional data plans.
I was literally just looking at these. Quick search, the best two are Asia and Europe, starting at 30days/3GB for about US$9.75 for either. There are cheaper options but Flexiroam is generally pretty reliable.

Note: anyone with 28° MC can get any plan with at least a 15% discount anytime (sometimes 20% on larger GB plans).

This sounds super painful. Good to know. Was the fix you had to get a physical sim?

I had Felix on the short list before settling on amaysim (Optus). At the time Felix was limited to 4G network at home but I see they’re now offering 5G (Vodafone network?). Their roaming bundle is a little better than amaysim (more data) and cheaper than Belong (Telstra) but Felix and Belong both require an additional monthly bundle to make calls from Oz to OS (if that’s important). It’s included with amaysim (the higher the monthly plan, the more included countries).
The only reason I went Amaysim over Felix was because Felix has a much smaller list of countries that they allow roaming in.

How do people find eSIMs in general? Do you prefer them to a physical SIM?

My current mobile is not VoLTE compatible and I need to upgrade before the 3G network closes in August. I've had a dual SIM phone for a long time but never one that's eSIM compatible. I'm looking at Motorolas and one of the key factors is whether it is eSIM compatible or not.

I had strongly favoured dual physical SIM, but this thread has me thinking.

How do people find eSIMs in general? Do you prefer them to a physical SIM?

My current mobile is not VoLTE compatible and I need to upgrade before the 3G network closes in August. I've had a dual SIM phone for a long time but never one that's eSIM compatible. I'm looking at Motorolas and one of the key factors is whether it is eSIM compatible or not.

I had strongly favoured dual physical SIM, but this thread has me thinking.
They‘re functionally identical to a physical SIM as far as operation goes. Especially a service that has the usual voice, text and data attached.

A lot of the discussion here is relating to data only roaming plans but don’t let that put you off.

If you’re upgrading, I’d strongly recommended getting an eSIM capable phone. You won’t look back! If you were to switch your Oz telco to eSIM, you’ll still have a free physical slot and probably room for other eSIMs.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

ESIMs make signing up for foreign data easy if you are a low-medium data user.

Despite the advertising not great for your YouTubers who would typically use lots of data.

And for someone who needs to be contactable on an AU number it depends on your network and plan whether you are going to be hit with foreign roaming charges anyway or able to use Vo Wifi/2nd SIM.

My local SIM is with Woolworths (Telstra Wholesale network) and I keep the esim slot free for foreign data.
This seems to work quite well via Vo 2nd SIM since they was activated.. I'd previously forwarded my number to a local VoIP provider to receive incoming calls.

ESIMs make signing up for foreign data easy if you are a low-medium data user.

Despite the advertising not great for your YouTubers who would typically use lots of data.

And for someone who needs to be contactable on an AU number it depends on your network and plan whether you are going to be hit with foreign roaming charges anyway or able to use Vo Wifi/2nd SIM
Flexiroam now have “unlimited“ data roaming plans. Not cheap but not outrageous either if you are a big data hog.

Not wildly different to the Optus $5 per 5GB a day and cheaper than Telstra’s $10 per day. Vodafone taps into your domestic allowance, so it’s the better of the big telcos otherwise.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back