English Paper Currency Being Withdrawn

clifford

Established Member
I'm off to the UK in Oct and have discovered a couple of paper 20 pound notes.

Hopefully my UK bank will accept them as a deposit (I'm a UK citizen with a UK bank account).

Xrayspice

Intern
The last time we were in part of the UK - Northern Ireland 2017 - I managed to leave with about 6 Pence in my pocket. I definitely made sure that I had no Northern Ireland banknotes left over.

I do this every country, try and spend every single note/coin I have, before I fly out.

I read that £20 and £50 paper notes in the UK are being withdrawn and will have no value in less than 3 months.
Plastic notes will be ok.
Have just returned from UK. When using my stash of paper £20 notes from pre-Covid, a couple of times I needed to remind the business that they still are legal tender until September. £50 notes generally are treated with suspicion. If unable to spend the paper notes (suggest using the note at supermarket, Pret etc) it is unlikely that you will be able to exchange them at a bank or PO without having an account. However, even after September the Bank of England at Threadneedle St will exchange them if you produce two types of ID eg passport with photo and driver licence with address.

SYD

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Gold
Have just returned from UK. When using my stash of paper £20 notes from pre-Covid, a couple of times I needed to remind the business that they still are legal tender until September. £50 notes generally are treated with suspicion. If unable to spend the paper notes (suggest using the note at supermarket, Pret etc) it is unlikely that you will be able to exchange them at a bank or PO without having an account. However, even after September the Bank of England at Threadneedle St will exchange them if you produce two types of ID eg passport with photo and driver licence with address.
Precovid I was able to swap some paper £10s at a bank (don’t recall which one) but swapped one for one, no ID required.

JohnK

Veteran Member
I had £20 note which I exchanged in Thailand recently.

Off topic to this thread but I find the new Thai polymer notes too hard. Very little flexibility.

Precovid I was able to swap some paper £10s at a bank (don’t recall which one) but swapped one for one, no ID required.
A few years ago I swapped some paper £10 notes at a bank in Noting Hill. This time, when I thought I would have some £20 notes left, I enquired at three different banks and the PO in Clapham, and none would just exchange note for note. There was a bank in Kensington, which had a cashier, separate to the teller, where I previously had swapped some notes just withdrawn from one of their ATMs for higher currency, but that was different to just wanting to clear soon to be superseded currency. I decided against doing a bank crawl and just kept spending £20 notes until all were gone.

Sponsored Post

This is an example of a Sponsored Post, one of the many ways you can advertise on the Australian Frequent Flyer.

Other options include banner advertisements on our content and forum pages or our newsletter. You can also purchase an audio message on our podcast - or if you just want to try it out, you can sponsor a thread.

If you'd prefer not to see any advertisements (including these sponsored posts), you can become an AFF Supporter from just $6 and instantly remove all advertisements from our website!

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..