Ebay - 1/2 price Qantas/Jetstar fares auction????

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by Mal, Sep 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map

2. littl_flier

littl_flier Active Member

May 1, 2007
    Brisbane
    Mmm, does look a little unusual/dodgy. One quoted example is HBA-PER on 18 Oct. QF prices is $371, quoted price is $310. Another example is MEL-SYD-MEL on SuperSaver for $199. Bit of a bargain for that one.

Wonder what the price of the J class fares are.

3. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    The other thing too is that in most (all) states, you are required to hold a Travel Agent's license or similar to sell travel arrangements.

I'm not sure the seller could meet that need as an individual - but no ideas who they are or who backs them.

Very weird all up. I presume Qantas wouldn't like this happening and will take steps to identify and cease the activity. Will they chase those who have bought tickets from this source?

4. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    #4 straitman, Sep 30, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
    The add also states that you are protected by Pay Pal Buyer Protection Policy,
    however the following is from the Pay Pal page:

5. Eligibility Requirements.
    In order for your transaction to be eligible under the PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy or the PayPal Buyer Protection Policy, all of the following requirements must be met:

A.
    In order for your transaction to be eligible under the PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy or the PayPal Buyer Protection Policy, all of the following requirements must be met: Purchase a Qualifying Item. Your purchase must be for a tangible, physical good that can be shipped. The following items are not eligible under either the PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy or the PayPal Buyer Protection Policy: intangibles, services, licences and other access to digital content, live auctions, vehicles, airline flight tickets, and items prohibited in the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy.

There is more of course :!:

5. fortymilliondaggers

May 1, 2007
    Read the policy a bit more closely :D

6. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    :?: :?: :?: :?:

Not good at cryptic comments.

For another reason I read the whole policy yesterday :!:

7. fortymilliondaggers

May 1, 2007
    "The following items are not eligible under either the PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy or the PayPal Buyer Protection Policy...airline flight tickets."

8. bambbbam2

bambbbam2 Active Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Perth, WA
    I notice that taxes don't seem to rate a mention....

Also I checked a couple of their "questions" and you can find better deals by going to the Qantas website on some of them..

9. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    That's what I said, didn't I :?:

Now that I've reread my post I see that what I've posted is as clear as mud. The intent was that items are not eligible :!:

10. Skoogle

Skoogle Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Sydney
    With the answers on seat numbers and use of terminology, surely that person would be a member of this forum.

Maybe it is an attempt to turn credit into cash + points. It is a business account, then maybe they could claim back the GST as well.

11. littl_flier

May 1, 2007
    Brisbane
    And look at the huge surge in questions being asked today. Skoogle, you didn't ask about SYD-CBR-SYD did you? ;)

Some of the discounts are quite reasonable, but mainly on the Full whY and J flights. (ie. SYD-PER-SYD in J class)

12. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    This is what makes me think it's a Corporate Account's discount being used to buy the tix.

It's a good deal, but has too high a level of risk for my liking to participate.

13. Reggie

Reggie Established Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Manchester
    What is the saying - if it looks to good to be true, it probably is.

At checkin, sorry Mr and Mrs Reggie, you do not have any seats on this flight. I understand you have electronic tickets issued, but Qantas is not honouring them, and you can expect a call form the police.

Anyone watch Soprano's - they had an intersting story line on a corporate tickets scam.

14. littl_flier

May 1, 2007
    Brisbane
    I agree completely. It would be a sucker to have the flights not honoured at the last minute. And note its not International flights beacuse these are normally remitted back to the Company at the end of the month rather than as an upfront discount.

Turns out the discount isn't quite as large as our Corp discount anyway so if anybody needs anything, give me a yell................... ;) :p

15. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    I agree that it looks very suspicious.

This person has not had activity on ebay for almost a year and has recently sold a laptop and now selling questionable airfares. Would be interested in feedback from any of the people who have already purchased.

16. Skoogle

Skoogle Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Nope. Too risky for me.

17. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    #17 Mal, Oct 1, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
    Someone has to pay the Ebay'er their overheads (time responding to all the messages, doing the research, Ebay positioning and listing fees etc etc etc).

My best guess is that the auctions will be removed by end of Wednesday. Just enough time for Qantas to consult with their legal advisors and for them to 'convince' Ebay that the sales aren't appropriate.

This is the sort of Ebay Loophole Qantas will use:

18. Travel Guru

Travel Guru Established Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Gold Coast, Australia
    The only thing I can think of is perhaps it's an employee of one of the travel agencies abusing the inhouse 20% off all Qantas fares offer for employees and immediate families thats running this month?

I'll see if I can confirm thats the case, either way it looks extremely dodgy.

TG

19. Travel Guru

Travel Guru Established Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Gold Coast, Australia
    This is the reply to my question requesting their agency name and licence no.

I can't work out what he/she is on about, perhaps someone can shed some light?

"I understand your concern, however I am not registered as a travel agent. I book the flights through an interface that allow me to have discounted airfares with a PIN registered with Qantas as a wholesaler. Because I'm not yet registered as an agent, I can't sell or distribute international tickets. However, all local tickets I sell are produced directly by Qantas and a tax invoice is provided as well. All the tickets are legit and can be confirmed with Qantas anytime at their customer services number or at any Qantas counter. Cheers."

TG

20. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    I think that what it is saying is that the person is not issuing the ticket nor taking payment for the booking but is just making the booking through a discount location. It would seem that QF would issue the ticket and that the intermediary is just making the booking on your behalf

Dave