Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Driving in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying Fox

Established Member
Do I need a special drivers licence to drive/rent a car to drive around the UK for one day?

Thanks

opusman

Solutions
The "International Drivers Permit" is a complete scam, imo.

drron

Veteran Member
Solutions
I've just driven for 3 weeks in the UK without one.

harvyk

Qantas
Gold
About the only place I know of that speaks English and requires an IDP is Florida in the US. In the UK you'll be fine.

The IDP is not exactly a scam, it's required for any place where English is not the first language / not widely spoken. It's just not in the interest of motoring bodies to fully explain that little detail.

Hvr

Enthusiast
Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
The "International Drivers Permit" is a complete scam, imo.

The only place I've needed an IDP was Japan.

No problems within the USA, the only comment by the rental place was that the clear panel on the VIC licence was a PITA.

Trying to access your favourite Australian websites when overseas only to discover they have been geo-blocked? Concerned about your internet privacy especially when using unsecured wifi? NordVPN will solve both these common problems.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

kelvedon

Established Member
I was just about to post that I happily drove a rental car in MIA in Dec on my NSW licence

That reminds me of an amusing reaction I had Arizona in 2003. I was hiring a car in Tuscon and presented my Uk driving licence. This was one of the old paper ones, (issued prior to 1998 when they were replaced by photo cards). These driving Licences are valid until your 70th birthday, and I had some difficulty persuading the young lady that it really did have an expiry date of April 2041!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claudia45