Downgrading Australian Personal Platinum Amex

thizho

Hi All,

I'm considering downgrading my Australian Amex Personal Platinum as I don't want to pay the $1450 fee. I called and asked about retention bonuses but was offered nada.

The person I spoke to (was in Australia) and said that I would receive a refund of the annual fee if I cancelled or downgraded within 30 days of the fee appearing on my statement. She also said that I'd get a pro-rata refund if I decided to downgrade after the 30 day period - but if I cancelled after the 30 days then no refund of the annual fee would be possible.

I was wondering if Amex Australia allows you to use the card benefits (such as travel credit etc) before cancelling/downgrading. I know that it's common with the USA Amex cards, but was wondering if anybody has had experience with the Australian ones?

Cheers,
Thiz

I was wondering if Amex Australia allows you to use the card benefits (such as travel credit etc) before cancelling/downgrading.
A mate of mine cancelled his QF AMEX Ultimate early this year. He purchased a QF ticket using the $450 credit right before cancelling the card. It is possible.

A mate of mine cancelled his QF AMEX Ultimate early this year. He purchased a QF ticket using the $450 credit right before cancelling the card. It is possible.
Thanks Ade.

Interestingly, the travel credit isn't showing in my account even though the annual fee posted last week. Does anybody know how long it usually takes for the travel credit to post after the annual fee appears on the statement?

Thanks Ade.

Interestingly, the travel credit isn't showing in my account even though the annual fee posted last week. Does anybody know how long it usually takes for the travel credit to post after the annual fee appears on the statement?
I'm not sure if it is any different to the type of AMEX card you are holding.

But I hold an QF AMEX Ultimate and the travel credit details update instantly as the membership year begins. I can see the travel credit in the top right corner "Travel Credit Details" link, when I open the "Book Travel Online" link from the menu.

1661485867223.png

Thanks Ade.

That’s odd, i’ve usually found the travel credit to post before the annual fee…

It usually shows up as a transaction on your membership rewards transaction history, so maybe check there.

It usually shows up as a transaction on your membership rewards transaction history, so maybe check there.
I found it on the statement. Thanks for the tip!

It posted last month and I've already used it (when I was using it I thought it was last years credit I was using).

So have I for years both on Amex Plat Personal Charge and on Amex Plat Reserve Credit Card
Use it or Lose it

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back