Do you use a credit card with no annual fees?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anat0l

Enthusiast
Annual fees on credit cards can be a pain.

I managed to keep all my credit cards fee free due to
  • WCAMC being fee free in the first place (no reward benefits, however)
  • CBA Standard Awards Amex/Visa, being a student and having the fee waived
  • The co-branded Amex Gold card I had was fee free.

As some people know I've upgraded to a co-branded Amex Plat now; annual fee is $295 (supposedly $100 less than the standard annual fee plus enrolment into Ascent is not included in a standard Platinum card).

My parents are a different matter. They used to get their credit cards from the CBA free when they bundled their CBA products. When the bundling system stopped and CBA wanted to charge annual fees, my mum threatened to cancel her cards unless the annual fee was waived. She was successful.

Same thing happened when they were offered to be upgraded to Gold via a call from the bank. She said no upgrade to the Gold card unless the fee was waived. Fee was waived and my parents were CBA Gold.

Then CBA announced that they were introducing Amex/Visa cards and of course the new T&Cs announced the reduction in the earning rate of the CBA Gold Visa (i.e. all levels of Awards would have the same rate if you wanted to transfer Award points to QF/DJ points). So my parents decided to move to Westpac (and Altitude), who had the same thing going but had better earn rates. Again, I don't know exactly how they managed to do it, but they now have a Westpac Gold Altitude Visa and Amex with...you guessed it...no annual fee.

My mum elbows out a fee waive every single year and every time she does it by threatening to cancel the cards she is successful.

She has also done the same thing with a NAB Velocity Amex. They offered it to her for the first year for free, but since then she has managed to get every single year after that for free through threatening to cancel the card. She's had the card now for at least 3 years.

Admittedly, my parents have used credit cards and have never missed paying a statement in full. They have never transferred a balance or used cash advance. They have never paid a single cent in interest. I guess you could say they have an extremely good credit record.

Nevertheless, it's now come to the point where my parents will never use another credit card again unless there is no annual fee on it.

But in any case, is anyone else here also using a credit card with no fee? How do you get it (in a similar way to how my mum does it :))? And feel free to comment or rant about credit card annual fees here.

I got the Citibank Gold fee free through that promotion a few years back, and Altitude Platinum because I have a loan through Westpac - although the offer is supposed to be fee-free gold, I asked for Plat on a whim and got accepted after a couple of goes.

I have other fee-free cards, but they don't count as they don't have rewards: Wizard and HSBC.

anat0l, I am with you. I have the co branded AMEX gold , and also pay for the association $295 AMEX Plat. I have been successful in waiving that fee for the last two years, whilst also getting my free flights :)

I used to have a Virgin credit card, which then changed to another bank, which was fee free.

I also had a Dingo Blue one, that got swallowed by BOQ quickly. Gone. Fee free though.

I managed to half my fee with ANZ FF Plat the other day, they wouldn't $0 it, but got half off. Meh.

However, I don't rely on the credit card insurance policies, instead I have an annual TID policy that I renew every year, which also covers me for domestic flights, and holidays by car!

I have co-branded AMEX gold card with fee free as well, but never use it. I also have NAB velocity card for free, NAB waived annual fee for me last year, I haven't tried this year.

I'm not that hung-up about paying annual fees for credit/charge cards.

I never did mind the little things...

I try not to pay annual fee if possible. It is hard to get it these days with rewards program.

I currently have:
Virgin CC -> Westpac Ignite: Fee free
NAB Velocity Visa/Amex: negotiated fee free on yearly basis
CPA AMEX: Fee Free (with AMEX MR rewards)
Wizard CA Mastercard: Fee free
AMEX Gold Choices: Fee free
Citibank Gold Visa: Fee free (with Citibank rewards)

Last edited:
(and Altitude), who had the same thing going but had better earn rates. .

But Altitude has lousy earn rates for the combo when combined..

However yes I too like fee waived cards.
But I am not blinded by getting the fee waived.

One needs to look at:

• Cost of card
  • Point earn rate
  • Point transfer rate and to which airline FF (depending how and where you want to fly different FF programs can be attractive..
There is no one answer as we all have different spending. Smetimes by payinga fee you will achieve a better end result when looking at flight gained for $$ spent via the card.

My free for life Citibank remain on the shelf at present for even though it earns at 1/1 it transfers for less than 1 to SQ.

Wizard is kept mainly to put $ into for overseas withdrawls.

KF Westpac Amex/Visa Combo with an earn rate of 1.5 and 1 per $ for me is currently a great card as I also find my burn on SQ J Savers to be great value.
The card was fee free this year but will cost me $125 next year (half normal)..but the higher VISA eran makes up for this easily.

My Amex Max has dropped to 1.25..and so was getting little use. amex have offereda Plat at 1.5 for $195, though in past year the Max has always had the fee waived. So will have to wait and see on the Plat.

I try not to pay annual fee if possible. It is hard to get it these days with rewards program.

I currently have:

Good on you got some many free cards. Just wondering how many of them do you use regularly? For myself, I just need one card is enough, otherwise there are too many dates need to be remembered to pay for the bill.

Good on you got some many free cards. Just wondering how many of them do you use regularly? For myself, I just need one card is enough, otherwise there are too many dates need to be remembered to pay for the bill.

The only ones I use at the moment is actually a fee not free card: Westpac KF CC when they had the promo of 10K points and 3points per dollar for 6 months. I will see if they will waive the fee in May. If not, I will go back to CPA AMEX and Citibank Visa combo. My Wizard card is for overseas withdrawals. I have direct debit setup for all my CCs pointing to different savings account so I have no problems paying the bills ...

Last edited:

I currently have:

How many earn 1.5 points on Amex and 1.0 on VISA/MC?

Personally Velocity cards have no appeal to me as the Velocity FF program is lousy and I rarely fly them either with paid flights.

If one's yearly spend is low then fee free with an earn of 1.0 on Amex may be ok. But if you are put through a reasonable amount I am not sure why one would want a low earning card.

How many earn 1.5 points on Amex and 1.0 on VISA/MC?

Personally Velocity cards have no appeal to me as the Velocity FF program is lousy and I rarely fly them either with paid flights.

If one's yearly spend is low then fee free with an earn of 1.0 on Amex may be ok. But if you are put through a reasonable amount I am not sure why one would want a low earning card.

That's why even I have all these fee free cards, the one that I use is actually Westpac KF CC, as mentioned in my later post ;). I got the NAB Velocity card when they had the 15000 points offer for Visa and 15000 points offer for Gold Amex (that was when the Visa/Amex were separate cards), and first year fee free.

I actually now have 55K Velocity points. I was originally aiming to get it to 60K to redeem a ticket from SYD-HKG. But have stalled since Velocity's international award redemption is very restricted. But have kept the card to ensure my Velocity account is still active.

I guess it all depends on people's travel patterns. But for me it was very hard to be convinced to get a no fee free cards. But Westpac KF CC was an exception in my case.

-Amex Plat Credit Card for general spending ($395)
-Citibank Visa as backup (free for life)
-Wizard for O/S

Unfortunately when one owes money it is very hard to get a fee free credit card. :(

I have a Citibank Readycredit with no fees (not sure if you can call it a credit card and no reward program), Gold Amex is also fee free (Ascent membership does not really count as a fee) and I think the Wizard Clear Advantage Mastercard is also fee free.

Unfortunately when one owes money it is very hard to get a fee free credit card. :(
Depends what you mean by "owe money" - I managed to get the HSBC Visa Card fee free for life, for their 0% balance transfer promo :)

That can depend on to whom the money owed ;). I owe a considerable amount of money to a major bank (its actually an overdraft disguised as a home loan) and for the privilege of owing them a substantial amount of money, they provide me a Gold Visa card (with a rewards program) with no annual fee for as long as I owe them lots of money. I guess its part of their plan to keep me indebted to them for a long time :evil:

Depends what you mean by "owe money" - I managed to get the HSBC Visa Card fee free for life, for their 0% balance transfer promo :)
For argument sake one gets a St George Vertigo Mastercard (no annual fee in the first year) and uses the 0% balance transfer for 6 months but at the end of the 6 months the balance is still there. At the end of 12 months the balance is still there.

Can't really call them and ask them to waive the annual fee or you will cancel the card. In order to do that one needs to have a zero balance outstanding or follow up with the threat and be able to pay off the outstanding balance. Neither of which apply to me.

Can't really call them and ask them to waive the annual fee or you will cancel the card. In order to do that one needs to have a zero balance outstanding or follow up with the threat and be able to pay off the outstanding balance. Neither of which apply to me.
Ah, I'm getting my forums mixed up. It was on another forum that somebody asked about the pros and cons of tarting over to another 0% balance transfer card.

Over at OCAU, here (although you may have to be a registered user to view):
Overclockers Australia Forums

The relevant bits:

Originally posted by TriCk
Originally posted by zzyss
Apparently being a card tart looks bad on your credit record... I have no idea, I've done it myself, and I'll be in your position come end of March (looking for a 0% deal). Currently with HSBC.
i think itd be more the fact that each time you apply they run a credit check against your name, the more checks the worse it looks

but provided each time you transfer you are doing so for less than the one before it and so on + a decent savings record and/or investments - you shouldnt have a problem

Originally posted by TriCk
youll often find banks/lenders arent as stringent with giving out cards where a large percentage is on a balance transfer (say a card with 10k limit, 9 of which is b/t), as opposed to someone without previous cc applying for 10k..

i dont know why that is, whether they think its healthier to have you owe them the cash then an opposing bank or whether they know you are prepared to spend the dosh :p

ive hopped from bankwest to st george to nab in the past 2 years, all of whom offered 0% for 6-12 months on b/t.. managed to get my debt down by 50% just by not using the card and paying it off.. was thinking one more might be in order before i bring it under the same bank as my mortgage/savings account is with (as their interest rate on CC's is pretty low in itself)

and also pay for the association $295 AMEX Plat. I have been successful in waiving that fee for the last two years, whilst also getting my free flights :)
How did you manage that?

My HSBC card was practically fee free as each time I tried to close it the cancellation dept would offer to waive the fee to keep me on. I eventually closed it anyway as I really had no use for it.

I got ANZ when it was still 1:1 for VISA, now the rate for VISA has dropped I might cancel if they don't waive my annual fee. I might lose a points earning VISA however I don't put enough spend through the VISA to really worry.

Seriously tempted to get a Wizard or HSBC Premier MC for O/S travel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back