Discounts for Buying a New Sony Phone?

Catweazle

Yes, I know. You're probably reading this on an iPhone or a Samsung. But I'm typing this on a laptop, with my Sony phone sitting next to me. Strange maybe for you, but true. :p

Anyway, I'd like to upgrade to a new Sony Xperia phone. No, don't start. This isn't an Apple vs Samsung debate. Put those thoughts into another thread!

However, you can't officially buy them in Australia as they don't market them here anymore. I know Kogan sell them, for example. Or possibly Amazon. Last time I claimed $$ back on to my account after an ANZ rewards sign-up bonus, which essentially meant I got my phone for free, but I can't go down that path this time, I suspect, because I already have the QFF card. Are there any current discounted loopholes that I haven't noticed yet to help me out a bit, like discounted vouchers through the Woolworths gift cards that have been discussed here or some QFF sale? What are your thoughts?

A good question. Not entirely sure, but Amazon lists last year's model (Xperia 1 V) for USD$899 plus postage. If I try to buy that from here, they add AUD$260 import charges on to it. I wonder if any AFFer would be willing to...

I'd be triple-checking that the phone supports VOLTE/VOWIFI for Australian phone providers - otherwise you will not be able to call over 4G networks.

My European Android phone does not support any VOLTE/VOWIFI settings for Australian phone providers - making the phone useless here.

Oh good point, yes. Thank you.

It's all IT-type jargon to me but my current phone apparently won't work with things when Telstra and other companies blow up their old towers later this year.

To confirm if future handsets will, what should I look out for in the list of specs and stats?

basically 4g mobiles were still defaulting to 3G when making calls & sms if they didnt support VoLTE.
So once 3G turns off your current handset will only be able to be used for data/hotspotting/whatsapp calling etc.

so its as per what thibault said

It means that your call is going through as data-packets over 4G/5G instead of a proper voice call via the 3G network.

You need to check that the phone has VOLTE/VOWIFI in their specifications - they usually all do now - however, what you need to check is that Telstra is supported in their system to be able to receive/place calls on their 4/5G network.

See below link - previous Sony Xperia Mark V does not support VOLTE/VOWIFI for Telstra but kind of works for Optus and Vodafone :

Same story with Xiaomi :

See below link for Telstra voLTE and voWIFI :
No Sony phones are supported officially.

Few old Sony smartphones.

Sony left the Australian market - I would not recommend getting a Sony handset if you want a ready to go smartphone.

One wonders what will happen to tourists with said brands. One suspects there will be a raft of more compatible smartphones to be added to the telco lists - but I wouldn't bet on it if buying one new for use in AU.

Back