Discount DC card anywhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CWM

Intern
I'm considering dumping AMEX and switching to the personal DC + MC cards purely so I can transfer point to AA Aadvantage (yes I am aware of Citi's bad reputation and rude customer service). But the cards seem overpriced for what they offer; the reward points are OK but the travel insurance appears quite lame for example and they ask for $458 (including a partner card) for something that isn't widely accepted.

Is this a really bad idea? Any tips to getting the cost down on this card?

Good luck! I just recently got my combo of cards and am treating it as an experiment on 'what not to do when running a company'...

Unless you spend a significant proportion of your total spend at DC merchants then its probably a waste of time.

I view my cards as a 1.25 pts per $1 MC itch a bonus DC card that sometimes allows you to earn more points...

After 30 yrs with Amex i have jumped ship i have the need for a change a little a upset at the non acceptance no problems with travel insurance all claims settled i am just lurking in the hope that DC have a special sign on bonus that i can make use of otherwise i will pay the fee and hopefully see some rewards

Thanks folks.

BB - please let us know how it works out for you.
SS - I'm not a travel insurance whiz nor did I compare the DC insurance with the AMEX version but a quick look through the T&C's left me thinking I would only be safe purchasing separate travel insurance for an O/S trip. The thing I noticed most were the quite restricted limits (eg $2k something for rental car excess) beyond which you are on your own.

Had to pay full price. It was worth it (I think) for the Mastercard in particular. With my Westpac Mastercard the reward system is really only good for obtaining trinkets, at least now I can earn and transfer points to SPG. I no longer use my AMEX and will be cancelling it unless they offer a full fee refund.

Diners (Citibank) have an odd-ball, untrusting sort of reward system. You need to pay off the balance (it's a charge card) and then a full month later they will post the points. I was told by their rep basically if you are a day late or a buck short you loose your whole months points.

Had to pay full price. It was worth it (I think) for the Mastercard in particular. With my Westpac Mastercard the reward system is really only good for obtaining trinkets, at least now I can earn and transfer points to SPG. I no longer use my AMEX and will be cancelling it unless they offer a full fee refund.

Diners (Citibank) have an odd-ball, untrusting sort of reward system. You need to pay off the balance (it's a charge card) and then a full month later they will post the points. I was told by their rep basically if you are a day late or a buck short you loose your whole months points.

That's just one of MANY dumb dumb dumb things with Diner's...

Read through the Diner's threads and you'll get a feel...

The things for me include
* during the application process they ask your 'referees' to confirm both your and their personal details. No other financial institution does this
* my 'charge card' came with an extremely low HARD credit limit
* their website is the worst in the industry
* their online services are RUBBISH. Despite a new site being planned since January (and implemented for a few days before being pulled) they still haven't upgraded it
* they charge you 75cents to pay your bill by BPAY
* their acceptance list on website and mobile app is rubbish - neither of these reflect ACTUAL usability of the card
* you can view transactions but not statements online. You must still receive paper statements
* they don't have a mobile app for checking your transactions
* rewards post to post a month late (as previously mentioned)

This names a few...

If it wasn't for the superior points earn on both the Diners and MC then I wouldn't bother...

If it wasn't for the superior points earn on both the Diners and MC then I wouldn't bother...

But this (as well as the international lounge access and travel insurance) trumps those other issues. As for the hard credit limit, just call up and tell them to remove it which they were happy to (and then fulfilling one of the promises of the card being "No Pre-Set Spending Limit")

But this (as well as the international lounge access and travel insurance) trumps those other issues. As for the hard credit limit, just call up and tell them to remove it which they were happy to (and then fulfilling one of the promises of the card being "No Pre-Set Spending Limit")

I've now called three times and been adamant it needs to be removed - I keep getting told they need to discuss with someone else and get back to me.

It stems from me putting a low amount on my application as 'expected spend'

I've now called three times and been adamant it needs to be removed - I keep getting told they need to discuss with someone else and get back to me.

It stems from me putting a low amount on my application as 'expected spend'

I had the same thing, I complained to the regular call centre and ended up receiving a call from someone in their Australian offices, I told them I had picked the card because it advertised "No Pre-Set Spending Limit" and if they couldn't provide that I would just cancel the cards. That did the trick.

I have had the same - they said they need months of payment history first... Ugh!

It is a CHARGE CARD so I just want it to work like one - the last guy asked if I wanted the limit raised... I explained I just want it to act like every other charge card grrrr

Will call for the fourth time tonight

Yes the no limit claim is false, they advised me I need 12 months history of use with no issues before they would raise the limit they have set (which is half of what my other cards have). And yes the website is awful but I can live with that, not posting points for weeks is very poor form.

Yes the no limit claim is false, they advised me I need 12 months history of use with no issues before they would raise the limit they have set (which is half of what my other cards have).

I must have been lucky... I hit my limit within 2 months and they removed it when I called...

I've referred that to the relevant department Mr Greenfrog86... You'll receive a call in two business days...

*flying bacon*

I've referred that to the relevant department Mr Greenfrog86... You'll receive a call in two business days...

*flying bacon*

You should refer them to the relevant FAQ on their website which says:
A charge card is different to credit and debit cards in that there is no pre-set spending limit, and no interest as you pay your account balance in full with each statement. A Diners Club charge card allows you to manage your expenses and earn rich reward points, and gives you access to a wide range of features and benefits."
Or tell them to change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back