Disabled on fixed income, looking to accrue Qantas points for travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do admire your enthusiasm however the possible benefits you may perceive vs the effort, time and cost to achieve these will most likely end in tears. When I came across this thread I have gone back and read a number posts with interest more than once, not only to read the advice you are being given but who posted the comments. If you take the time to read other posts by some of the individuals commenting on your thread you are receiving advice from seasoned travellers who have first hand experience on what it is like to "live in planes and lounges" it is not as glamorous as most think.

I am only chiming in as my +1 works in health, mainly with people with disabilities and I work in IT so I understand your comments in your long post (page 1, #20) about using and playing the system. This site is somewhat about using and gaming the system for flights, accommodation deals etc. I get that but after all it is game and those that control rewards schemes are constantly changing the rules.

Take my comments for what you think they are worth and I encourage you to save go on OS trips but do so within your means and capabilities and take the advice of those offering it.

Last edited:
I totally agree with Matt. Both of us, and a few others who have commented here are P1, and many on this site have vast travel experience from "road warrior" economY flights MEL-SYD weekly to full fare First on SQ, EY etc to Europe and the USA and everything in between (and then some).

I'm not entirely sure how serious this thread is, but all of the responses have been sincere and honest based on the available information.

Personally I'd follow the advice to purchase miles in other programs like LifeMiles and AAdvantage and use those to then get award seats. or even just go Best Fare Of the Day even if it's a cheapie on Jetstar, Tiger etc get to the places you want and spend the $$$ of a limited income on the experiences there rather than playing the system which likely will result in limited outcomes and happiness in a $5k-ish/year budget. These days FF programs are about revenue and spend - by us.

Last edited:
I do admire your enthusiasm however the possible benefits you may perceive vs the effort, time and cost to achieve these will most likely end in tears. When I came across this thread I have gone back and read a number posts with interest more than once, not only to read the advice you are being given but who posted the comments. If you take the time to read other posts by some of the individuals commenting on your thread you are receiving advice from seasoned travellers who have first hand experience on what it is like to "live in planes and lounges" it is not as glamorous as most think.

I am only chiming in as my +1 works in health, mainly with people with disabilities and I work in IT so I understand your comments in your long post (page 1, #20) about using and playing the system. This site is somewhat about using and gaming the system for flights, accommodation deals etc. I get that but after all it is game and those that control rewards schemes are constantly changing the rules.

Take my comments for what you think they are worth and I encourage you to save go on OS trips but do so within your means and capabilities and take the advice of those offering it.

I'm not discounting your experience or ignoring your advice, everything you folks have told me has been extremely useful. You have understand I'm researching this, talking to you folks and changing my opinion based on what the documentation says and what you folks are telling me about your experiences. This forum has helped me understand things a little better and I'm sure with a few months more reading and some small scale dry runs, I should find a balance of travel that I can afford. I'm looking into other programs and I can structure finances/expenses for two to three people to redeem/earn miles faster although only one qualifies for credit, I have enthusiastic consent for this and as long as I'm not costing them money and helping them avoid late bill charges I should be able to put more than just my own income through the system.

I totally agree with Matt. Both of us, and a few others who have commented here are P1, and many on this site have vast travel experience from "road warrior" economY flights MEL-SYD weekly to full fare First on SQ, EY etc to Europe and the USA and everything in between (and then some).

I'm not entirely sure how serious this thread is, but all of the responses have been sincere and honest based on the available information.

Personally I'd follow the advice to purchase miles in other programs like LifeMiles and AAdvantage and use those to then get award seats. or even just go Best Fare Of the Day even if it's a cheapie on Jetstar, Tiger etc get to the places you want and spend the $$$ of a limited income on the experiences there rather than playing the system which likely will result in limited outcomes and happiness in a $5k-ish/year budget. These days FF programs are about revenue and spend - by us.

I haven't bought or spent anything I wouldn't have without trying to get points so far, I haven't done anything to jeapoardize my position and so aside from credit deals/point redemption on bills, etc. My plan for now is just to save for Japan, maybe snap up a flight or two another city within Australia so I can check out Qantas club and decide whether or not it will be worth it attempting a mileage run on the way back from Japan or something.

I've got until may to get everything organized, I already have 3k put aside just for spending money, the friend coming with me is shouting the railpasses(i maintain his gaming PC for free, remotely and in person), my ticket is already booked and we'll be splitting accommodation which means he'll be paying half of the listed value(he's okay with this) of any room I book for us if I use them for our accommodation, giving me additional spending money for Japan/Status run on the way back. I'm intending to put another 2.5k away for the trip in may, may not use all of either sums if I decide to capsule/discount rooms with twin beds+katsu/ramen bowl my way through Japan on QP accommodation that a mate of mine will be paying me the full value on(cheap but adds up over 12 days) of what the room is worth in advance of the trip.

Edit: It's pretty serious, I've not done anything that's gonna cost me anything more than I put out. I've got a picture posted somewhere showing off some of the boxes I keep on shelves if I need to sell off my gear because it fetches a higher price with all peripherals/materials/boxes and makes it easier for people to say it was a gift and claim the warranty/repair/replacement on the gear as entitled under victorian law.

I just organized to sell my 1080ti for 850 AUD, I paid 1k and got the card for free in under 4 months due to the Nvidia rebate program handling the interest free payments for me. Parlaying that into a two-way interest free with the technique I discussed loan to get 850 dollars / 5 months off the 2080ti bill and I'm gonna pay five months of insurance, phone and tablet bills in advance next pay freeing up my usual monthly costs for saving for Japan/whatever pops up between now and may.

It's just so much information to process that being able to bounce things back and forth with you folks is helping me learn. I may use premium pass or velocity as well by the looks of things and a Qantas club membership seems like it might be worth it too. Buying miles through the programs you folks have mentioned is another thing I'm starting to investigate, still have lots of research to do and plenty of stern finger waving to endure when I misinterpret something obvious but that's half the fun of this, learning a new system with the help of a buncha intelligent, well-seasoned travelers.

Last edited:
under 13k per year

This is one of the things that makes this whole discussion somewhat less than credible to me.

If you're really on that level of income, finding ways to earn additional income would have far greater impact than any points-oriented strategies. And if you would theoretically be up to the rigmarole of regular air travel, your options for generating income should not be all that limited.

I think you should be aiming more for quality than quantity on the travel front, and status runs fall into the latter category.

This is one of the things that makes this whole discussion somewhat less than credible to me.

If you're really on that level of income, finding ways to earn additional income would have far greater impact than any points-oriented strategies. And if you would theoretically be up to the rigmarole of regular air travel, your options for generating income should not be all that limited.

I think you should be aiming more for quality than quantity on the travel front, and status runs fall into the latter category.

Best I can manage long-term is volunteer work unless you know a job that will let me do a minimum of 8 hours per week from home on a completely unbound 24/7 schedule that allows me to work when I can for as long as I can with the ability to stop and not do anything for up to two weeks to two months at a time at random. I could probably work full-time if I was able to log in and out of a system, do my hours at whatever ungodly hour I happen to be capable of doing a job that I consider to be satisfactory but that means one day I'd do 4 hours at 3am or 7 hours on a sunday at 3pm, starting to see the problem?

No one wants to hire certain categories of disabled people for anything other than wages LESS than minimum wage, fortunately you have to actually agree to be paid that for it to be legal so I can opt for volunteer 8 hours a week instead or simply study something that teaches me skills that I value and use to make my life better. I'll take my chances with token rebates, console/g-card refurb and flips and frequent flier miles, it's easier on my health and I can do it even when I'm confined to the house.

This is why I didn't simply walk into a coles and try to stack shelves for extra money, I can't get a job for a fair adult wage because of my illness, it is quite legal to not hire me and to force me to agree to less than minimum wage to the same job as other people, just less often and with more flexible hours. I'm not taking less money than I earned as a 17 year old boy because I happen to have a disease now, that's even more degrading than being on reduced work capacity, studying and doing volunteer work to pass the time.

My condition makes me less reliable than people with down syndrome, that's completely incompatible with a normal working life. Best I could manage is doing the same sort of jobs they give people with severe cognitive deficiencies for under minimum wage(gov subsidizees the wage), jobs doing very, very small scale busy work with people who don't understand that they won't have kids, a family or a life and probably need legal permission from a carer to have sex living a life designed to trick them into thinking they are "normal." by filling it with superficial erstat replacements for things like work and social life managed by government workers.

But sure, I'm sure that will be more lucrative than studying and cracking FF miles, the "nvidia rebate program" and then structuring my finances to take maximum advantage of these things...

I've lost jobs for fictitious reasons whenever I've tried my best to keep working like everyone else despite the fact I've provided medical certificates and prior warning of my condition and how it works and it's more painful than you can imagine being drummed out of low wage work, treated like disposable garbage because you have a disease and it's easier to fire you than accommodate your condition after having worked a good job and been respected as a subject matter expert by people twice your age who did everything in their power to keep you employed when you first started to get ill.

I have documentation that proves the things I'm saying if I feel like taking pictures of bills, medical reports and my hardware if you don't believe me about my purchases or what I've been doing with my life but it's kinda disheartening for people to assume that because I'm ill and I can't work that I'm not the person I was before I got ill when I'm feeling well or having a good run. I just don't get to be the me I was all the time anymore, only part-time and that's good enough for me even if it's not good enough for other people.

I've had a good run this year, I slept in a bed with a woman who is crazy about me every night for months for the first time since before I got ill and better yet I met her in VR so we're still in contact every day. I can sit on my bed in the same spot we used to sit when we talked and see her beside me and hear her voice, we've game all the time in VR so it's like she never left minus the getting to touch each other part but our relationship was like that before she got here so it's not unusual to me.

I got to explore my own state with her and I'm almost finished completely outfitting my bedroom, updating all of my hardware AGAIN and I've got a trip for japan booked, cash put aside to spend and 5 more months to get up more funds and prepare myself for my 12 day trip. I managed all of this without a job, without access to a credit card beyond a Harvey Norman card my carer let me use.

Oh and she was also disabled, sick and unable to work, living on food stamps in Texas, I flew her here and paid for everything on 13.2k per year, the 500 dollar advance you get each was our spending money, we spent it on groupon and scoupon purchases, spent our time at St Kilda beach and at my place in VR. You'd be suprised how much fun two computer geeks who grew up on the internet consuming anime by the truckload can have with a private room and two VR HMDs that let you be anyone you want, I sold off my original Vive when she left so I won't get to try that cough again for quite some time.

I get paid 550 AUD per fortnight, I don't even get rent assistance so you go and do the math on how I managed to pull that off without an income stream beyond what token rebates I could claim off my computer hardware I bought for VR, what value I could get for things I bought, repaired, played with and traded away when I was done with it and what the government thinks is acceptable to give the disabled, sick or injured when they have nowhere else to turn to.

Last edited:
My plan for now is just to save for Japan, maybe snap up a flight or two another city within Australia so I can check out Qantas club and decide whether or not it will be worth it attempting a mileage run on the way back from Japan or something.

Sorry, how do you intend to gain access to the club short of:

a) purchasing a paid Business Class ticket (cash or points)
or
b) purchasing either a year+ QC membership or a day pass
or
c) obtaining a pass from a friend (or possibly other source, which is technically illegal)
or
d) being guested in by another member/someone with status

Also remember not all Qantas Clubs (let alone Business Lounges) are created equal. For example, Brisbane and Perth(Business mostly) are the nicest and newly renovated.. as is Melbourne, but there are separate threads on these various lounges and the impressions (plus pictures, which you possibly will find useful to get an idea, as well as consulting articles at Australian Business Traveller (ausbt.com.au) . Adelaide is quite large and has pretty good service, but some of the others are either small (OOL, CNS) and showing age (OOL, CNS, SYD) or pretty coughtastic (HBA, regional lounges)

I never used the word "hire" and if I even said "work" I apologize for misspeaking. There are so many ways to generate an income in today's world, though.

Most of the arguments for why you can't work sound to me like good reasons for avoiding unnecessary travel.

Worst-case scenario: If you're financially secure, have the basic needs under control, have the opportunity to study skills that you value, can volunteer, and *still* have money left over to travel abroad... you're on a better wicket than most people I know. Which is not to say "be happy with what you have"... just be careful not to jeopardize it.

Best I can manage long-term is volunteer work unless you know a job that will let me do a minimum of 8 hours per week from home on a completely unbound 24/7 schedule that allows me to work when I can for as long as I can with the ability to stop and not do anything for up to two weeks to two months at a time at random. I could probably work full-time if I was able to log in and out of a system, do my hours at whatever ungodly hour I happen to be capable of doing a job that I consider to be satisfactory but that means one day I'd do 4 hours at 3am or 7 hours on a sunday at 3pm, starting to see the problem?

No one wants to hire certain categories of disabled people for anything other than wages LESS than minimum wage, fortunately you have to actually agree to be paid that for it to be legal so I can opt for volunteer 8 hours a week instead or simply study something that teaches me skills that I value and use to make my life better. I'll take my chances with token rebates, console/g-card refurb and flips and frequent flier miles, it's easier on my health and I can do it even when I'm confined to the house.

This is why I didn't simply walk into a coles and try to stack shelves for extra money, I can't get a job for a fair adult wage because of my illness, it is quite legal to not hire me and to force me to agree to less than minimum wage to the same job as other people, just less often and with more flexible hours. I'm not taking less money than I earned as a 17 year old boy because I happen to have a disease now, that's even more degrading than being on reduced work capacity, studying and doing volunteer work to pass the time.

I've lost jobs for fictitious reasons whenever I've tried my best to keep working like everyone else despite the fact I've provided medical certificates and prior warning of my condition and how it works and it's more painful than you can imagine being drummed out of low wage work, treated like disposable garbage because you have a disease and it's easier to fire you than accommodate your condition after having worked a good job and been respected as a subject matter expert by people twice your age who did everything in their power to keep you employed when you first started to get ill.

I have documentation that proves the things I'm saying if I feel like taking pictures of bills, medical reports and my hardware if you don't believe me about my purchases or what I've been doing with my life but it's kinda disheartening for people to assume that because I'm ill and I can't work that I'm not the person I was before I got ill when I'm feeling well or having a good run. I just don't get to be the me I was all the time anymore, only part-time and that's good enough for me even if it's not good enough for other people.

I've had a good run this year, I slept in a bed with a woman who is crazy about me every night for months for the first time since before I got ill and better yet I met her in VR so we're still in contact every day. I can sit on my bed in the same spot we used to sit when we talked and see her beside me and hear her voice, we've game all the time in VR so it's like she never left minus the getting to touch each other part but our relationship was like that before she got here so it's not unusual to me.

I got to explore my own state with her and I'm almost finished completely outfitting my bedroom, updating all of my hardware AGAIN and I've got a trip for japan booked, cash put aside to spend and 5 more months to get up more funds and prepare myself for my 12 day trip. I managed all of this without a job, without access to a credit card beyond a Harvey Norman card my carer let me use.

Oh and she was also disabled, sick and unable to work, living on food stamps in Texas, I flew her here and paid for everything on 13.2k per year, the 500 dollar advance you get each was our spending money, we spent it on groupon and scoupon purchases, spent our time at St Kilda beach and at my place in VR. You'd be suprised how much fun two computer geeks who grew up on the internet consuming anime by the truckload can have with a private room and two VR HMDs that let you be anyone you want, I sold off my original Vive when she left so I won't get to try that **** again for quite some time.

I get paid 550 AUD per fortnight, I don't even get rent assistance so you go and do the math on how I managed to pull that off without an income stream beyond what token rebates I could claim off my computer hardware I bought for VR, what value I could get for things I bought, repaired, played with and traded away when I was done with it and what the government thinks is acceptable to give the disabled, sick or injured when they have nowhere else to turn to.

The more you write the more I enjoy following this!

.... I'm looking into other programs and I can structure finances/expenses for two to three people to redeem/earn miles faster although only one qualifies for credit, I have enthusiastic consent for this and as long as I'm not costing them money and helping them avoid late bill charges I should be able to put more than just my own income through the system......

Newb, am not quite sure how to interpret this, but it almost sounds like you want to arrange other people's travel but fly them in your name, so to get SC, points, etc. I really hope that is not the plan. On this forum you will find that most members, including me, very much tend to conservative, LEGAL ideas.

Incidently I know of a disabled person who needs a full time carer due to paralysis and she earns an income editing technical documents which she can and does do from all over the world. She and her partner have flown from one end of the planet to the other, in J and F (they play the milesage awards game, card churning bonuses, mileage buyup promotions and it all) and do quite well and lead pretty amazing lives from what I see via social media. Based in the US though where things are somewhat different. She's a true inspiration to how to live a life with a pretty challenging disability and she's done stuff I've never gotten close to (riding elephants in Thailand for example recently). Brilliant!

Newb, am not quite sure how to interpret this, but it almost sounds like you want to arrange other people's travel but fly them in your name, so to get SC, points, etc. I really hope that is not the plan. On this forum you will find that most members, including me, very much tend to conservative, LEGAL ideas.

Fortunately, miles can be shared between certain categories of people, we're relatives so I can structure their finances in such a way that would allow for me to reap points off money I'm not even spending on things that I don't possess or have liabilities for. This is on the level, no illegal cough being pulled. I'm in precarious position because of my illness and being dragged through the courts would probably kill me so I stay away from everything that smells illegal. It's quite legal for me to push all my money through other people's accounts to get points and transfer them or push their money through my accounts to get points.

Again I can even cycle money through multiple accounts in order to double, triple or quadruple dip on points if it's structured right from what I'm understanding here about how these systems interact, there are massive caveats, loads of conditions, etc but it seems like if I simply structure the spending right, I can reap all of the benefits because my carer and their partner have no interest in flyer miles, they think it's too much of a headache to keep track of unless you make it a hobby which is what I'm trying to do here.

@RichardMEL Your friend sounds like she's doing very well, I wish I could work from home too. Sounds like she's got a great life but I don't have a partner who works so I can't have them help me out, I only just qualified for the Disability Insurance Scheme in the last year so soon I'll be getting better help to deal with my condition, currently trying for DSP with the help of my psychologist, my GP and my psychiatrist.

I'm hoping that I will be able to be like her some day, I just have to find my niche and so far I've been studying 3D art and VR, 'bout to go back for C# and Unity actually! Maybe if I develop my own apps and sit in the right lounges I might meet someone who will ask me what I'm doing, I plan to work with Smartglasses, Gear VR and SteamVR and I've got rudimentary skills in Maya I developed this year at course to hone over time with udemy courses or maybe higher certificate paid for out of my own pocket. I wanna get good enough to make people avatars for VRchat and other VR applications, there is money in commissions.

Last edited:
Newb, the following that I write is not condescending. I hope I express things well to make you understand that I actually wish to express something very positive.

Through your various posts in this thread you have revealed that you suffer some "disability". But at the same time you demonstrate a zeal, a passion, an energy, that is absent from many people without any such "disability". I can understand that having a disability can end up being a focus of every single day of existence, but you are showing you have other skills that counterbalance that.

I think you focus too much on that disability. But at the same time you have massive and complicated plans to make something with the myriad opportunities that lie within airlines and frequent flyer programs. many of your initial concepts are quite unsound, but you also demonstrate an ability to very rapidly adjust and learn and forge ahead. Given that intellect, that mental ability, that familiarity with technology, I think that if you persevere, you will crack open opportunities that all the "non-disabled" here have not yet achieved.

Go hard!! :)

Newb, the following that I write is not condescending. I hope I express things well to make you understand that I actually wish to express something very positive.

Through your various posts in this thread you have revealed that you suffer some "disability". But at the same time you demonstrate a zeal, a passion, an energy, that is absent from many people without any such "disability". I can understand that having a disability can end up being a focus of every single day of existence, but you are showing you have other skills that counterbalance that.

I think you focus too much on that disability. But at the same time you have massive and complicated plans to make something with the myriad opportunities that lie within airlines and frequent flyer programs. many of your initial concepts are quite unsound, but you also demonstrate an ability to very rapidly adjust and learn and forge ahead. Given that intellect, that mental ability, that familiarity with technology, I think that if you persevere, you will crack open opportunities that all the "non-disabled" here have not yet achieved.

Go hard!! :)

I can go as hard as anyone else, it's just that when I say I have to stop, I have to stop and some people can't accept that, they expect me to be able to be at my best at all times and I can't keep that up healthily unfortunately. I don't feel like you're being condescending and I thank you for your kind words.

I had a fiance with a big ring, respect from colleagues and decent paying job(2.5k per fortnight up to 5k per fortnight when I was in business sales, went down when I started training people and couldn't make insane commission anymore. I cracked our commission system like I want to crack airline miles and could sell the right combinations of things to earn double what someone else did on the same amount of revenue generated for Telstra before I got ill and it cost me the chance to have a family or a normal life but I won't let that stop me from being the me I used to be whenever I'm well enough to do it.

I love my VR rig and the things my computer skills make possible but I want to see the world and no matter how good my g-card gets real life > 2k per eye and not even RTX on will change that, I want some good experiences before I die and I feel like wasting away what little youth I have left in Australia going between medical appointments and government appointments and my bedroom until it's gone. I lost most of my 20's to this disease and I'm determined to seize back my thirties so that I have something good to look back on that happened after I got ill. I'm only just getting back some of what I was and it's electrifying to see the weight slipping off, my hardware getting better, my personal life improving and my healthy slowly but surely improving little by little while I careful manage my illness in such away that allows me to prevent further degradation.

Last edited:
Newb my core advice is that you can maximise YOUR position for what YOU want to do.

We all go through a learning curve on what can be done and what cannot be done. As knowledge and skills build the possible expands and if one has imagination, application and the ability to pounce the really fun part comes when you have those Eureka moments when you can achieve some amazing things.

Some opportunities are small, and some can be massive.

If there is one truth that has become evident since I joined AFF it is that those that seek find.

Newb my core advice is that you can maximise YOUR position for what YOU want to do.

We all go through a learning curve on what can be done and what cannot be done. As knowledge and skills build the possible expands and if one has imagination, application and the ability to pounce the really fun part comes when you have those Eureka moments when you can achieve some amazing things.

Some opportunities are small, and some can be massive.

If there is one truth that has become evident since I joined AFF it is that those that seek find.

My expectations are quite low because of how I've had to live for the past several years but now that I'm figuring out to live and not just survive with a permanent illness, I'm finding ways to take advantage of the spare time I have to work systems and get more for my 13.2k p/a than most people can conceive of being possible as proven by previous posters being skeptical about the idea of being able to do what I do on the amounts of cash money that I receive.

Very kinda surprising given the nature of the forum we are on which is all about getting more than your money's worth. The only thing I'm snooty about is computers and I have some of the best hardware in the world so when you folks talk about scrambled eggs on toast made by another human being while sitting on comfortable seats and doing whatever you please with your electronic devices as you chug complimentary wine/beer as being "cough", I think you're all massively spoiled.

I was eating 5 dollar parmas and using groupon to tour my own city with a guest from overseas earlier this year, I put up the money for a hire vehicle and she drove us up and down the coast with an international driving permit and we slept on the roadside by the beach, in caravan parks, etc. That was probably the only experience I've had in the real world since getting ill that I can look back on at this point that is worth remembering and to you guys, it's probably laughable but to me it was unparalleled luxury, a dream come true.

That IS luxury to me, not having to eat something I made myself IS luxury for me, getting as much booze as I feel like drinking(not often) when I want it IS luxury to me. Hell, I'll probably end up thinking Y is coughing luxury because of how god-damned deprived I am in my normal life outside of what I do with computers. Your "tinpot coughty" experience is gleaming gold to a person like me and you can't see it because of how normal it's become to you. Even being treated with fake respect is something I'm not used to.

Last edited:
I can go as hard as anyone else, it's just that when I say I have to stop, I have to stop and some people can't accept that, they expect me to be able to be at my best at all times and I can't keep that up healthily unfortunately. ..... I lost most of my 20's to this disease and I'm determined to seize back my thirties so that I have something good to look back on that happened after I got ill. I'm only just getting back some of what I was and it's electrifying to see the weight slipping off, my hardware getting better, my personal life improving and my healthy slowly but surely improving little by little while I careful manage my illness in such away that allows me to prevent further degradation.

You are new to this forum, but have a squizz at my "juddles reflections" thread. Nothing there is simply written, but if you digest it all you may understand why I get you.

Sponsored Post

Struggling to use your Frequent Flyer Points?

Frequent Flyer Concierge takes the hard work out of finding award availability and redeeming your frequent flyer or credit card points for flights.

Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, the Frequent Flyer Concierge team at Frequent Flyer Concierge will help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

I hope you stick around, Newb. I very much admire your enthusiasm and tenacity and wish you every success. If you think I can help in anyway, be sure to send me a PM.

The Frequent Flyer Concierge team takes the hard work out of finding reward seat availability. Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, they'll help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

I hope you stick around, Newb. I very much admire your enthusiasm and tenacity and wish you every success. If you think I can help in anyway, be sure to send me a PM.

Thanks for the kind welcome, what sort of help do you think you'd be able to give me?

I'm trying to figure out how to best structure my finances so I can reap QP from both my carer and her partner as well as my own spends because Qantas allows for sharing for us. Also trying to figure out routes around Australia and Asia that are fun/comfortable and have a destination worth visiting even I spend a bunch of the time hanging out the airport to try and save money as ideally I'd like to be travel as often as possible even if it's just inside Australia most of the time with visits overseas happening once to twice per year.

I've spent over 10k on graphic cards alone not including the 2080ti I wanna buy, this year when you include stuff flipped for cash towards upgrades bought interest free, I've just gotten health insurance, thus spending the same money repeatedly less the depreciation or plus whatever the value of my repairs were/rise in price due to limited availability. Had I processed over 10k in hardware expenses through one of these rewards programs, over the last 12 months, how many points would have by now exactly? A bajillion? I think so too and if next year is anything like this year, chances are I might end up putting a similar amount through redeemable purchases over the next 12 months + whatever I can get my carer to charge to my card and payback on the same day with the money they would've otherwise used directly + all those stupid flyer cards/fuel cards, etc. They like wine so chances are I could spring for one of those stupid wine packs and a bottle to each of them for christmas + birthday and share the rest with them + friends and not have to buy presents all year long.

I thought I could start with Qantas because several of the things I bought recently had points deals that I took advantage of when I realized I could get what I wanted AND QP for no extra outlay. I don't mind experimenting with other airlines and their partners, it's just that I happened to get a buncha QP for stuff I needed and I'm expecting more for other things I need and have budgeted for but do not currently possess.

The next two months will see me finish equipping myself with my "level 1" travel rig and finish turning my room into transformable retro + PC gaming lounge/VR holodeck/office/bedroom with a murphy bed and wall-length couch, rebuild this desk into the bay window and install my QLED on ceiling mount above my 27" 3D monitor and return to school ready to rock in Feb with a 2080ti, Samsung Galaxy Watch, Galaxy Tab 4 and Note 9 equipped with gear VR.

My "level 2" rig will consist of a gaming NUC connected to a slimline EGPU, compact enough to WEAR onto a plane and I'll be ordering a pair of ODG-9s smartglasses to use it on the go with when they have their full commercial release, was tempted to spend 2k USD on a dev version though.

hqdefault.jpg

This dude is my inspiration, he invented augmented reality and was using it in the 80s on the streets with a mobile data connection.. before most people could sign up for an ISP and was flying through airport security with 300k in hardware allowing him to use augmented reality on the go in the 90s through airports and through multiple countries.

Hopefully the ODG-9's don't get the same reactions he got, he had electrodes ripped out of his chest and his surgically attached augmented reality goggles torn from his skull after 9/11 when he tried passing through NYC and was attacked in France by McDonald's employees who didn't understand it was attached to his face and being used as medical device(bullshit, he wore it so often he couldn't take it off without feeling sick).

wearcompevolution2-100040553-orig.jpg

This is what he uses today, it draws the image onto his eyeball with a laser, he has adblock for IRL on the two eye versions. I've been reading his website since 1999 eyetap.org and finally off the shelf gear is approaching the cough he was showing off when I first started reading. I've resisted buying the ODG-7 industrial version sheerly because it has a weaker chipset and inferior resolution despite it being able to survive having metal weights dropped on it and providing all of the same functions I want in a far tougher package.

Steve+Mann.jpg

Last edited:
Just a note to the OP to ensure they have obtained/budgeted for international travel insurance for the trip to Japan / any overseas travel. And in particular cover for “pre existing conditions” which may need to be clarified with the insurer. Given living on a limited income, wouldn’t want to get stuck with unexpected / un-insured bills, especially medical.

Just a note to the OP to ensure they have obtained/budgeted for international travel insurance for the trip to Japan / any overseas travel. And in particular cover for “pre existing conditions” which may need to be clarified with the insurer. Given living on a limited income, wouldn’t want to get stuck with unexpected / un-insured bills, especially medical.
Edit - I went back and read the OP's posts but am not sure if they are on a DSP or some other NDIS funding or are self funded.

The other thing that comes to mind (and I don't know to what extent) is the OP's DSP and provision of part-time carer. Any changes to living arrangements can trigger a review of this. I cannot see DHS being overly happy with a client who whilst unable engage in paid employment is able to travel the world and still receive welfare payments. Because the disability is not specified I am being very general in my comments - it may or may not be a factor that could come into play. I am hoping that the OP has considered if there is any possible/likely change to their DSP as a result of this new lifestyle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back