Diners club companion card | Page 9 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Diners club companion card

cfellows

Flights
My Map
I can't recall where exactly now, but does anybody else remember seeing somewhere that the diners club card would soon be getting a paywave/paypass/tapngo feature?
I am sure i saw it soon after signing up and receiving my cards

*edit
I just went back through this thread and it seems like in October last year Diners/Citi started sending out new cards to people with paypass. Strange I was already using my diners then and have never received a new card. Is it even worth calling to ask to save 2 seconds each time i use it?

Last edited:

gizzard

It sounds similar to the wait for an additional card holder to be issued with their Diners card. An unknown amount of time to wait.

Legoman

After a trip around Asia, I've found that the card is accepted everywhere in Japan with an eftpos terminal, and effectively no-where in Singapore or Malaysia. In the latter 2 countries, terminals which support JCB or UnionPay will bring up a message saying card not supported.
That's odd. Diners Club claims to be a quasi-JCB + UnionPay card.
I'm in South Korea and am finding that the Diners is accepted in virtually every place although they're not quite used to having to swipe cards and look for a chip.
It also claims to be a quasi BC-card for South Korea, so I guess that claim is working.

DeKa

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
If you go into the Citi mobile app, you can request a replacement card. That has a chip .. not that it always works.
For some reason you cannot request a replacement card on the Citi website.

Strangely, I could not activate the new card in the app or on the website. I had to call...

DeKa

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Does anyone know when these (Chip & PayPass) Citi Linked Diners will actually work?

They are painful to use at places like Coles.

As you start to swipe, the terminal picks up the PayPass and gives an error. It asks you to swipe or insert the chip. Swiping again gives the same error - so next step is to insert the chip.
Inserting the chip gives another error.
Then, you’re finally able to swipe as the terminal knows the other options aren’t available.

Bagpuss

Does anyone know when these (Chip & PayPass) Citi Linked Diners will actually work?

They are painful to use at places like Coles.

As you start to swipe, the terminal picks up the PayPass and gives an error. It asks you to swipe or insert the chip. Swiping again gives the same error - so next step is to insert the chip.
Inserting the chip gives another error.
Then, you’re finally able to swipe as the terminal knows the other options aren’t available.
I’ve never had a problem.
You need to insert the card first, then it will prompt to be swiped.
If you just try swiping first it will try a contactless payment and you will have the issues you are experiencing.

VintageDom

I’ve never had a problem.
You need to insert the card first, then it will prompt to be swiped.
If you just try swiping first it will try a contactless payment and you will have the issues you are experiencing.
Hi Bagpuss, thanks for the tip. I will try that next time.
Hi DeKa, I absolutely aggree about it being painful.
It seems the technology maybe newer than the EFTPOS machines. I find it worse at Coles compared to Woolworths.

DeKa

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Thanks.

I guess it’s like the early days of Amex contactless - it was pretty hit and miss too.

Legoman

I only have rare reason to try and use the card (acceptability reasons), but when I do, I don't even bother trying paypass at all because I know it won't work and I haven't got the time for the nonsense of arguing with the terminal just to pay for something. I just go straight to mag stripe swipe. Sometimes that is accepted straight away, other times I have to try the chip and then back to swipe again, but either way I am yet to experience the chip (via contact or NFC) ever work. Only the magnetic strip has ever worked for me.

Myztikal_

FYI, from the Citibank website (Citi Australia - Platinum Card)

Will the Linked Diners Club Card also come with the benefits of a standalone Diners Club Card (e.g. Diners Club lounge access, etc.)?

"No, The Linked Diners Club Card does not have any Diners Club benefits such as lounge access. Card benefits will remain the same as what is available on your Citi Credit Card."

AFF on Air Podcast

• Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you’re new to the world of frequent flyer points – or moving to a new country – it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the con ...
  • Travel Insurance – AIR016
    Sat, 27 Jul 2019 07:34:12 AEST
      They say that if you can’t afford travel insurance, you can’t afford to travel! In this episode, Matt chats to James Green about the importance of travel insurance, and ...
  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bryce Hawkins