Diners club companion card | Page 11 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Diners club companion card

odysseus

Established Member
Thanks. I spotted your post when you first provided it and it certainly indicates a Diners fee.

The ultmate test would be to do the same transaction on both Citi Visa and Citi Diners, one immediately after the other.
Then check what the pending AUD are and then the final AUD.
Then you'd get substantial differences as both the exchange rates and the fees charged would be different. Not sure what you'd 'test' from that.

Legoman

No that would not constitute any kind of 'ultimate' test of anything. I have already done the test you want utilising the best genuinely fee-free foreign exchange credit card available to the retail market in Australia against the Citi DC. You don't test two unknown quantities against each other, you test each individually against a benchmark. The benchmark in this case is the 28D card which utilises the fairest implementation of the exchange rate (Mastercard uses same day rate, Visa uses the day after) + genuinely no fees, hidden or otherwise.

gizzard

However, by completing similar transactions for both Citi cards you then have some ammunition to go back to Citi and ask for their explanation for any difference.

Legoman

Which they won't give you because Citibank are famous for doing things according to their own rules and no one else's and they don't feel any compulsion to explain themselves to anyone either.

odysseus

Established Member
Not sure what you want them to tell you. The facts are pretty apparent. Visa and Diners Club have their own exchange rates, and the DC doesn't charge a fee on top of that.

Nowhere do they nor does anyone guarantee that Visa and DC have the same exchange rates.

gizzard

Legoman has implied in his linked post that there ARE DC fees applied and it's not only the different exchange rates.

Chicken

Established Member
The facts are pretty apparent. Visa and Diners Club have their own exchange rates, and the DC doesn't charge a fee on top of that.

Nowhere do they nor does anyone guarantee that Visa and DC have the same exchange rates.

Who cares what they are called, it's the outcome that matters, and Diners Club is more expensive than Bankwest that's what I found.

odysseus

Established Member
Who cares what they are called, it's the outcome that matters, and Diners Club is more expensive than Bankwest that's what I found.
Yes, that's what we were saying. Nobody was disputing what they are called. I certainly wasn't so not sure why you replied to my post about that.

PLANT

Established Member
Just confirming that Citi Sig Diners companion in Australia...earns more points for no fees where accepted?
I thought there was some info last year that benefits not worth hassle but it still gets more points?
The swipe is the only way to pay and the chip don't work when inserted in EFTPOS machines.....my experience.

Edit: Answers to questions in 2020: Citi Australia - Platinum Card

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
altoursmotors